Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used Hypertech Max Energy about two months ago. Everything went smoothly: the unit was uninstalled from the previous vehicle, and then installed on mine. I got a good deal because the previous owner sold his truck and didn't need it anymore.

Fast forward. I went to make a change to my programming, and I'm getting a Code 91 error -- which means that the unit is not recognizing my truck. The funny thing is that the VIN# in the Hypertech MATCHES the VIN of my truck. No funny business, no resets, no additional flashes; the tuner is just not seeing my truck even though the VIN numbers match.

I emailed Hypertech, but I didn't hear back from them for a week. I emailed again and said it would be nice to get a response. I got a response that said I'll need to pay $200 because the programmer is tuned to another vehicle.

I clarified that, in fact, the VIN# in the programmer matches my truck, so I'm just looking on some guidance on what to do.

I got a response that said I am not the original owner, so I have no warranty.

I replied that I'm not looking for a replacement or warranty service, I just need some direction from customer service. And then I asked to be put in touch with someone in management.

... no response for a week.

I know Hypertech wants to guard against funny business, and that there's no warranty on the used market; but I'm just looking for an answer on what to do. My VIN matches the tuner VIN, but I'm still locked out.

Any advice on what to do? I'm kind of miffed that they've just stonewalled me.

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
Do you trust the seller?

Not to be a monkey flinging poo, but are you sure it was uninstalled? Properly?

I have a BDGT, but they all are similar. I know on mine, when I plug it in, before installing & just having it read everything, it displays the vin. do you have another vehicle you can plug it into (not necessarily a frontier) that's supported by that programmer model? I know hte BDGT supports a whole slew of trucks&jeeps, you just tell it what you're putting it into.

At the end of the day, if it's still married to the old truck, you're at the mercy of Hypertech. As much as I didn't want to spend full price for my BDGT, I didn't want to go through any hassles. I hope you find a good resolution.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Yes, it was definitely uninstalled properly and now it is definitely married to my truck. When the handheld unit displays the VIN, it displays the correct VIN of my truck.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Have you been to the dealer since you did the original programming? If so they may have run an update on your ECU and would have wiped the program and thus the tuner can not find the footprint it left and thus feels it is programed to another vehicle. The directions for the tuners all say to be sure to return to stock before service because this can happen.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Any possibility of updating the programmer's firmware?

Even though I bought my Max Energy programmer brand-new - specifically for my Frontier's model year - it wouldn't recognize my truck until after I updated the firmware from Hypertech's website.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No visits to the dealer or for service.

I'll definitely try updating the firmware.

I'm just pi$$ed that Hypertech won't even point me in a direction to resolve this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts