Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You'd think, after five years of production on this current generation, there'd be M226s aplenty in the boneyards. However, I am coming up goose eggs on anything. Even car-part.com doesn't seem to have much. Do any of you know of any M226s for sale (or for that matter, actually have one), because winter is going to be coming soon to the midwest, and I'll have to be dealing with untreated roads and anal-cranial drivers with a peg-leg c200 diff... yet again. It wouldn't be so bad w/ 4-wheel-drive, but I have an XE, so...

Anyways, I've even thought of tossing a rear end in from a different truck, but again I don't have any handy guide saying "This truck has a Dana 44," or something else that'll do. Quite honestly, I don't really have time to do all the fab work needed to graft differing rears, so I'm looking for the plug-in option. But, hey, don't we all? :)

I'll keep looking, of course, but holler if you see or hear anything.

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
I remember Terribleone selling his M226. I cant remember if he sold it or not. Give him a quick Pm to see.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Since you have an XE, you have a 4.09 rear and the largest/lowest in the m226 is a 3.69 so you will have to invest in those superior gears to gain back what you will be losing especially since you are running 33s over the stock ???.

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
^I havent heard any update on it. So i have no clue, hopefully he will chyme in and help the girl out or possibly find her one.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
im taking it your getting this to get the electronic locker?

if so and since you said you need it for snow, id pass on it

have you ever driven a locked rear end in the snow? its a royal beotch and will drift like no tomorrow...

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
I'd assume they want the m226 to pop in a TT for the LSD factor and not the eLocker. I just don't know if it is going to be economical for them at this point since the axles are not cheap and the TT is another 5-600 and then install and not to forget the gears but which yoke they fit, idk. The whole "3 key" thing thru me thru a loop, lol.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
if it has an e-locker it can be unlocked with a flip of a switch :confused:
then he'd have an open diff and be back to square one?

he said he wanted it for the snow...

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
The OP is a she lmao

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I'd assume they want the m226 to pop in a TT for the LSD factor and not the eLocker. I just don't know if it is going to be economical for them at this point since the axles are not cheap and the TT is another 5-600 and then install and not to forget the gears but which yoke they fit, idk. The whole "3 key" thing thru me thru a loop, lol.
ya, and I'm not sure you'd want to be driving a 4 Cyl with a 3:36 rear end that would be a serious loss of power.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry I haven't posted anything recently--been sick (won't bother you with the details). I'm actually going to measure a Titan's mounting points; if they're close, I'll take that into consideration. But I planned on a TT for the M226... unless some company has worked a miracle for the c200k. :laugh: I already run 3.69 with my stock gears (someone asked), so with a swap using a NISMO rear, I'll still have the same ratio.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Since you have the XE with the 4 banger, you are running a 4.1ish ratio, not the 3.69.

In all reality, I think you will need to find a Frontier m226 and then add the TT and then the Superior Gears and probably go with their 4.10 or more drastic 4.5ish ones. The only thing that Titan m226 will gain you is extra width and the ability to move the shocks outside of the frame rails. It also gives you more stability but thats about it. Don't forget thou, it will make the rear wheels stick out a bit and you may want to even it out with a Titan swap on the front.

·
Premium Member
2,713 Posts
Wasn't that the axle TO dumped since nobody wanted it?
Yes, I had two m226's and a c200 that I was just giving away...for some reason no one wanted them. I took the R&P out of one of the m226's to keep as a spare and all the ABS junk; but everything else was scrapped.

To the OP; if you are just wanting the TrueTrac then I would honestly look for an m226 e-lock housing that has blown. The Titan axle I am now using was given free from the dealer because it was blown...they actually had a pile of them and said to take as many as needed.

I did a quick search and found plenty of m226's in the mid west; but there were none available with the gears you are looking for. But now that there is actually a gear option via superior this shouldn't be an issue at all. Being you want to install the TT as well...you already have to pull everything so the cost difference would be minimal.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
To the OP; if you are just wanting the TrueTrac then I would honestly look for an m226 e-lock housing that has blown. The Titan axle I am now using was given free from the dealer because it was blown...they actually had a pile of them and said to take as many as needed.
Are you kidding me, free from the dealer. I need to start making some calls to find both a Frontier and Titan axle.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts