Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my name is Alex and this is my very first post. I have a 2008 Frontier LE 4WD. I am hearing a humming sound and also a sound like if you had a nail in the tire making a sound as the tire rotates. I have purchased and balanced new tires as well as an alignment. I also installed new struts, but the noise is still there. I am thinking wheel bearings in the front or rear end. Anyone have this issue? If so, any advice is highly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,248 Posts
What tires and how many miles on them thus far? Some tires hum more than others. It could be as simple as a wedged rock in the new/deep thread to account for the intermittent sound you've described.
Bring your truck back to the tire installer for them to review.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What tires and how many miles on them thus far? Some tires hum more than others. It could be as simple as a wedged rock in the new/deep thread to account for the intermittent sound you've described.
Bring your truck back to the tire installer for them to review.
That was my first thought. I do have deep threads and had the tires checked, but the problem persists.

·
Premium Member
5,248 Posts
Did you change brands? Did you go/switch to an all-terrain or mud-type tire?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you change brands? Did you go/switch to an all-terrain or mud-type tire?
I took it to the shop and they have 2 thoughts, might be the driver side wheel bearing or in the front differential. He suggests that I drive it the way it is for a couple of weeks to see if the noise/hum increases so they can pinpoint it. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My LE 4wd is having the same issue. I lifted the rear end with a jack and rotated the rear wheel on each side. I’m getting a grinding noise on the passenger side. It does sound like a bad wheel bearing.
The thing is, when I replaced the differential fluid yesterday some metal shavings were collected on the magnet drain bolt. So, it could also be the rear differential making that noise.
I’ll be keeping an eye on this thread, hopefully it’ll be an easy fix. Good luck to both of us.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts