Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm new to the forum and also a new Frontier owner currently out of Ft Campbell KY. I'm starting this build thread for a couple of reasons: 1) To keep me motivated to keep building and wheeling 2) To get advice and hopefully in future help others wanting to do a slow budget build like mine.
So as I just said, this will most likely be a slow build due to budget but I will be doing my best to keep the ball rolling forward! All that being said, lets get to some fun stuff!

Right now this is the truck as is.
[/URL][/IMG]

It currently just has a 2" lift level kit, from whom I'm not certain. Radial Mud Claw tires and WeatherTech floor mats.

Today I dropped the truck and some 78" Trail Gear sliders off at Torx Custom Auto in Clarksville TN to get all welded up. After welding I'm going to run them to get powder coated before install.

[/URL][/IMG]

Hopefully they'll be done with the welding by tomorrow afternoon. I got to work swings tomorrow so by the time I pick them up and head to work I may not have time to post a pic but I'll get some this weekend!

After the sliders the next purchase will be skids from either Hefty Fabworks or Shrocks. If anybody has had experiences with both and would help me with the decision that would be great. I've heard that Shrocks takes about forever and a day but right now their actually coming in a little cheaper for the skids + shipped (Only about $20~ cheaper but $20 is $20).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got the sliders back today! Torx Custom Auto ended up having to send it over to a machine shop called Industrial Machine on Red River St in Clarksville. They did a great job welding everything up quick! They welded plates to my frame for easier bolt on install for the Trail Gear Sliders. I'll post some pics tomorrow, at work right now :(

Next up for the sliders is powder coating! I'm trying to find a good powder coater in the Clarksville TN area so if any of you guys are from around here and know of somewhere thats reasonable and does a good job lemme know!

·
Registered
760 Posts
Nice looking truck you got there!

I like the sliders, can't wait to see them finished up and on the truck. I've heard good things about the Trail Gear stuff. I also think powdercoat is the way to go on sliders. Get yourself a can of matching touch-up paint and they'll last forever. Powdercoating is really tough and looks so nice when it's all clean.

As for the skids, Shrock keeps most of the skids except one (I can't remember which) in stock. I have one that I haven't gotten around to installing yet, and it's a really nicely made skid.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks WreckDiver1321! I'm hoping to run them by a powder coater Monday. I'm going to be getting the skids in bare metal and just spray them with some bed liner or something! If Shrock has those skids in stock that would be awesome! I'll be giving them a call here in a couple weeks when I get paid again. First of the month is my bill/savings pay check :( 15th is the fun check :) I see in your description you have the NissTec adjustable coilovers. After the skids my next investment is going to be upgrading the suspension and I've been looking and NissTec and PRG coilover packages trying to make up my mind! I've been reading around on the forum and both seem pretty stout. How have you liked yours?

Here are some pics of the sliders with the mounting brackets welded up to the sliders! The guys at Industrial Machine on Red River St in Clarksville TN did a great job for a fair price and damn quick too! Took less than a day to get them done and have the plates welded to my frame for easy mounting.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys!

Mid week update. Dropped my sliders off with a powder coater. Funny story, he also helps out at the ranges on Ft Campbell cutting all the grass out on the ranges and using it for hay so I had to go meet em out on one of the ranges. I didn't get any pics unfortunately cuz I wasn't thinking about it but I drove through some MOUT sites to get to him, pretty fun! Today I was helping out move some TMQ-53 weather sensors with the truck. It was quite a lot of gear but the rear suspension held up better than I expected!

[/URL][/IMG]

Can't wait for some more fun money to come in so I can get my skids! Then next on my list is a better lift. Looking into the PRG advanced coil over package for $1,699.99. It seems to be pretty solid and poking around on the forums it seems to have decent ratings. I don't have the fiscal means to start up a full titan swap and this seems like a good non titan swap option. I have read on here though about some people having thumping/banging noise problems with the kit. If anybody reading has any insight into the kit or suggestions of another kit, I could definitely use the advice!

·
Registered
760 Posts
Thanks WreckDiver1321! I'm hoping to run them by a powder coater Monday. I'm going to be getting the skids in bare metal and just spray them with some bed liner or something! If Shrock has those skids in stock that would be awesome! I'll be giving them a call here in a couple weeks when I get paid again. First of the month is my bill/savings pay check :( 15th is the fun check :) I see in your description you have the NissTec adjustable coilovers. After the skids my next investment is going to be upgrading the suspension and I've been looking and NissTec and PRG coilover packages trying to make up my mind! I've been reading around on the forum and both seem pretty stout. How have you liked yours?
I'm actually liking my coilovers less and less as time goes on for a heavier build. They rode well at first, but the Bilsteins don't handle the 600lb spring and added weight very well. They don't have enough damping on extension, so when the tire falls into a depression, the shock doesn't really slow it down much at all. Then the shock tops out at you get a big jolt. I never feel it on the street though, and I only really feel it over bad washboards or huge potholes. I'd imagine the Radflo setup would give you a lot more damping and be much more comfortable at speed over rougher terrain.

For a truck with a lighter load, without a heavy bumper and skids, I'd imagine the Nisstec coilover would ride really, really well, definitely better than the stock setup. The Bilstein would handle the 500lb spring better than the 600lb, and with less weight to hold up the shock would perform much better. I just wouldn't recommend the setup with a lot of extra weight or the heavier coils.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm actually liking my coilovers less and less as time goes on for a heavier build. They rode well at first, but the Bilsteins don't handle the 600lb spring and added weight very well. They don't have enough damping on extension, so when the tire falls into a depression, the shock doesn't really slow it down much at all. Then the shock tops out at you get a big jolt. I never feel it on the street though, and I only really feel it over bad washboards or huge potholes. I'd imagine the Radflo setup would give you a lot more damping and be much more comfortable at speed over rougher terrain.

For a truck with a lighter load, without a heavy bumper and skids, I'd imagine the Nisstec coilover would ride really, really well, definitely better than the stock setup. The Bilstein would handle the 500lb spring better than the 600lb, and with less weight to hold up the shock would perform much better. I just wouldn't recommend the setup with a lot of extra weight or the heavier coils.
Thanks for the reponse! I can't wait to get coil overs and the add a leaf's ordered. Judging by your response I'm leaning more toward the PRG kit with the Radflo set up due to the increased weight of the full skids and eventually bumpers, etc. Right now the next step in the first phase of my build is to get the skids ordered, next will come the suspension for sure. I'm trying to put a deadline of early September on the first phase to get ready for the Nissan event at WentWindRock in mid September. I'll probably do a couple mods I saw on your build thread like the diff vent mod. Seems like something I could easily tackle in a weekend! ::grin::

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update on the truck! Yesterday leaving the office, my truck wouldn't start :( I had noticed it was starting slowly the day before and though maybe I had left my lights on. So I got a jump and ran it by Advanced and they tested the battery to find it was shot... There was corrosion and crap coming out of the bottem as well which probably wasn't safe. So I of course had to upgrade so I went all in and got an Optima Yellow Top! :)

I'm still waiting on my sliders to get back from powder coating. The guy is taking forever which is a little aggrivating. It's a one man operation I think and he said he's a little backed up. Yesterday on the phone he said he should be able to get it done by Wednsday but he said Sunday last week on Thursday so we'll see how that goes...

Going to try the axle vent mod tonight! I tried on Sunday but the 1/8 to 1/4 barbed valve I bought was barely to big to fit correctly and I didn't want to strip anything out so I ordered the Toyota part which arrived at the dealer this morning! I'll post some pics of the hopefully smooth modification.

The next big thing on the list to get done by mid September is still skid plates which should be getting ordered between the 15-25th of this month when some money frees up after the wifey is done with re-decorating the bed room :( Still doing research for the third major upgrade which will be suspension. If anyone reading this has any input into coil over set ups or tips and tricks please chime in! I'm looking to go 3" overall.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Got home and finished up the axle vent mod today! Also had to replace one of my reverse lights on the back of the cab. Hopefully I'll be getting some sliders bolted on tomorrow! Here's some pics of the axle vent mod.

The original vent.

[/URL][/IMG]

The new and improved vent/filter system in the dirty tail light housing!

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks @WillPro4x! I got a call today and the sliders are done! I'm going to grab em today. Got to meet the guy out on the ranges again so I'll get some cool pics of the ranges and install of the sliders!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright! Got the sliders picked up and they look great! Got them all mounted up and they look even better on the truck! I'm gonna check the bolts again tomorrow to see if any need to be retightened after driving on them for a little while but check em out!

Posed for a pic real quick after I picked them up at one of the ranges! :)

[/URL][/IMG]

Here's the sliders pre install

[/URL][/IMG]

And the sliders after install!

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

The drivers side went on without issue but the passenger side had one bolt that just did not want to line up well with the holes! That took about an extra ~45 minutes! :( But they're still on and that's what counts! Next up will be some skids! Going to call up Hefty Fabworks and Shrock here in a week or so and find the best deal with the shortest lead time! After that will be suspension! Again, if anyone wants to weigh in and help me out with coil over suggestions I'm still all ears. WreckDiver gave me some pretty good insight into the Nisstec setup. I'm still looking into the PRG advanced coil over kit. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hola amigos,

Thanks for the comments! Sorry it's been a while, things got a little busy at work! Got a couple updates! I changed my oil this last weekend and noticed under the truck on that crossmember near the front around where the oil filter is there was some ATF fluid! :( I tried to find the source and was unsuccessful but my current theory is a worn out hose that may need to be replaced. I checked the ATF level while the engine was warm and it was still full and it has not been puddling under where i park so it's definitely not a fast leak. I'll post some pics tonight and see if anyone can help identify the source. If not I'm going to try some stop leak and see what happens. Hoping for something not too major!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey guys, sorry it's been so long between posts. Been staying super busy but some quick updates. I found the source of my ATF fluid leak. I appears to be coming from the transfer case. After looking up related issues here on the forums, I think it is the shaft seal that may be shot. As I said before it's not much of a leak at all. It doesn't even leave fluid on the pavement like I thought it would, only on the bottom of the truck. Going to get that taken care of ASAP before I bolt on the skids! I am calling tomorrow to place my order with Hefty Fabworks. Also, I had some money laying in a paypal account that I forgot about so I put it to good use and bought a snorkel :). I've wanted one real bad but it didn't really fall on the list of mandatory upgrades before Windrock, so having some random funds to play with was nice! It's coming from somewhere in China (bought on eBay) so it'll probably be some time before we see some install pics but keep checking in!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have a long weekend so I'm heading home to Arkansas! Hoping to get time to possibly run to Hot Springs ORV. If not there I'm definitely going to find some kind of trail near the house to get some kinda wheeling in! Work has been so busy, after I work out in the afternoon I just wanna go to sleep so this will be nice to have some time off to get a little wheeling in! In other news, I may have a power steering problem creeping in. I noticed this morning It was making a whining noise when I started turning to pull out of a parking spot and It was making a jerking motion in my wheel :( After I got moving everything was fine, even turning out of stop signs and parking spots later through the day. Will be keeping a closer eye on it. I've had these go out on a Jeep before and it's not fun! Checked and a new pump is only around $110 but it looks like a b**ch to replace.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts