Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son had a Ford Ranger that I've posted a couple of pics of on the forum, mostly of some plastidip items I did some testing on before I did it to my Frontier. Well, a few weeks ago, he got t-boned on his way to work, and his Ranger got flipped on its side. Thank the Good Lord he wasn't hurt. However, his Ranger wasn't so lucky. I'm waiting on insurance to make a decision before I know what to do with it. If it's reparable, it will be a long process and I will start a thread on it. In the meantime, I picked up a 2003 Altima 2.5L that hasn't been run in about a year. I towed it home, and started on it last night. I only payed $100 for it, but it needs work. I drained the engine oil last night and removed the spark plugs and sprayed some fogging oil into the cylinders. I'm going to see what else I can do this evening.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It's alive!!! After allowing the oil to drain overnight, I checked to see if there was any sludge in the bottom of the oil pan. Nope, no sludge, even after sitting for so long. They apparently didn't use Quaker State. So I replaced the filter and put five quarts of Valvoline high mileage oil in it. I then drained the transmission and refilled it with six quarts of Valvoline max life ATF. I then manually turned the crankshaft a few revolutions to get some oil moving around and replaced all the spark plugs and battery. Before hooking up the spark plugs, I turned the engine over a few times with the starter. I then connected the spark plugs and, voila! It started right up on the second try. I took it down off the Jack stands and drove it around the block a couple of times after letting it run a few minutes. This afternoon, I will be replacing the coolant reservoir and doing a drain and flush of the coolant system. Soon, it is going to need new shocks all the way around and new tie rod ends, but those aren't detrimental to getting it on the road right now.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After getting the battery hooked up, we found it had 164K miles on it. I've been extremely lucky finding these vehicles for my kids, primarily due to my wife's perseverance in looking for them. We paid $975 for my son's Ranger that was wrecked and then put about $900 worth of work into it. So far, I've got about $500 in the Altima.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,735 Posts
Mad respect for inexpensive runners. I've had a few In my day.

$free 87 Dodge diplomat that only needed a caliper and a rotor

$80 1990 Mercury sable that only needed three quarts of trans fluid to fix it's "bad trans"

$700 Chevy caviler that needed nothing

$1000 Dodge Neon that needed a simple wiring fix.

All got me many years and many thousands of miles of service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The air hasn't been blowing cold, so the first thing I checked was the freon charge. It indicated a problem, so I checked the cabin air filter. I don't think the previous owner had ever changed it out. It was pretty gross. The air still isn't blowing cold, so I'm going to have to take further steps.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I still haven't had the time to really figure the AC out yet. However, the car started running rough, and I had it checked out and it threw a code for the #3 cylinder misfiring. I ended up ordering a full set of ignition coils. Upon removing them, we noticed that the #1, #2, and #4 had been replaced at some point. The #3 looked like original equipment. We replaced all four and it's running like a champ.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Altima started running rough again and threw another #3 cylinder misfire code. Hmmm... I checked everything and again, it pointed to the ignition coil. I checked the coil against another cylinder to verify it, and sure enough, the brand new coil was bad. I just think it was more than coincidence that it had been installed on the same cylinder as the last bad coil. I was able to go to the junk yard and get a couple on the cheap, and the car is running smooth again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Our next project has been to replace the engine mounts. So far, we've gotten three of the four done. We started with the right one. We removed the coolant overflow reservoir, then the fuse box. After moving these out of the way, we were able to remove the mount. We were able to fit the new one in without much difficulty. We only had a few problems getting it aligned properly, but found that installing the aft bolt first was the trick. However, we tightened the forward but from underneath first, then tightened the other two down.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Next, we replaced the left mount. We had to disconnect and remove the battery, then remove the battery tray, and then the air cleaner. I put a jack up underneath the engine to give it some support while we removed this one. We took the mount out and the new one went in easily.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We finished with the lower forward mount. There is a bracket that has two horizontal bolts through it along with a center bolt in the mount. There are also two bolts holding the bracket to the engine. It takes a little finagling to get the mount out, but it was easier to get the new one in. The lower aft mount is going to take more time whenever we get it in.
 

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top