·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
my wheel adapters are from wheeladapter.com

for the hub centric only, the adapter is machined so that the inner diameter of the adapter fits perfectly on the outer diameter of the "lip" on the center of the hub (kinda like how legos work).

Here is a pic of the adapter that also has the wheel centric "lip" that will fit in the center of your rim so that the rim sits perfectly on the adapter.

so an adapter that is not wheel centric will not have the lip so that the rim is centered only on the lugs, which has the potential to cause vibration if not centered perfectly.

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
lug centric use the lugs and only the lugs to center the adapter and/or wheel
hub centric use the outer ring of the hub to center the wheel

side by side pic...on left, 1" lug centric spacer from ezaccessories.com, on right 1.25" hub centric adapter from wheeladapter.com custom cut to the hub of my rims. notice the "made in china" sticker on the left......pieces of sh!t. i've beat the hell out of my custom MADE IN AMERICA ones from wheeladapter.com with not one single issue.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
I have those "Made in China" POS adapters and have done everything including jumping my truck with no problems. I just check the torque on them whenever I rotate the wheels, and so far they look good as new (just dirty!).

·
Registered
877 Posts
From my expericence, the NONE wheel centric spacers are fine as long as your truck came factory with a lug centric setup and the 1st gen Frontiers are lug centric.

From my reading here, none hub ,and wheel centric spacers can cause vibration issues on 2nd gen Frontiers because they use the hub to center the wheel by design from the factory.

I have the cheaper spacers on my 04.
They were $135 for all 4 adapters on ebay ,and they are 1.5 inches thick.
Probably made in China to.

I have about 8k on them ,and the truck rides smooth at all speeds ,and I have rechecked the torque a couple of times ,and they were dead on.

No problems at all with mine.

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
I call the china made ones crap cause the lugs they used were horrible. they strarted to strip on me while driving and I almost lost two wheels. the other two wheels stayed on fine. But I always had a vibration no matter how carefully I lined up and centered the spacer. I'm guessing that's cause the holes were not tapered. The adapter it self held up fine, it didn't break/crack/etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts