Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'98 XE King Cab 4x4 Manual - 191k - stock so far (I think)
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been readin' through the forums since I picked up a new rig at an absolute steal of a price from a friend/co-worker. I had been without a vehicle, at the mercy of public transportation for 16 years. And while I was busy tryin' to find a first gen Tacoma, she came and found me. Paid for and titled 10 days ago, so I'm the proud new owner of a not-so-new '98 King Cab XE 4x4 manual.

She's in excellent mechanical condition, especially for having 191k on her, but could use some cosmetic love. Came with the stock-ish size 235/75-15 KO2s you see in the pictures below. Other than that, paint is shot; wheels are shot; headliner is falling down and the backing board is warped too; whole undercarriage is under siege by rust but structurally holding for now; topper it came with is worn and dated. But the body and bed are solid as can be. Only one rust spot in front of the front passenger fender, a few rust bubbles between the top windshield trim and roof, and a dent behind the passenger door down by the rocker. Absolutely no bed rust, and she's not lined! Interior's outstanding, too, aside from the headliner.

Plan is to get her just about factory restored, sit her up about 1.5" with a PML and another 1" or so with some 265/75-15 shoes later on down the line, then love on her till either she dies or I do. Whichever comes first.

I've already changed the oil and spark plugs; pressure washed the undercarriage pretty good and cleaned a bit under the hood to better assess the source and age of the oil buildup you see in the pictures below; reconditioned all black plastic trim with mink oil (old trick I picked up from an uncle); slightly reconditioned all light housings using Brasso (same uncle); replaced the driver side window crank handle; replaced the cracked and chipped windshield; and replaced the EVAP purge control valve that was throwin' a P1444 code.

Next up:
  • replace the headliner and recondition the backing board
  • solve ride height riddle so I can plan for a PML in the spring
  • address rust with wire brushes, scouring pads, gojo, and corroseal
  • hit the wheels in much the same way minus the corroseal, but adding new clearcoat
  • see what I can do to protect the remaining paint until I can save for body work and full paint job (proper, so likely north of $2,500)
  • spray in bed liner
  • decide whether I want to buy an updated topper or go topless

Already learned a lot in here. Lookin' forward to learnin' more as I bring her around.

Tire Wheel Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle
Wheel Automotive parking light Car Tire Vehicle
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive tire Hood
Car Wheel Gear shift Plant Vehicle
Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Photograph Vehicle Car Motor vehicle White
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
'98 XE King Cab 4x4 Manual - 191k - stock so far (I think)
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update:

The paint and wheels aren't as shot as I thought. A few rounds with some wire cup brushes and wire wheels on a drill will get the pitting and corrosion off the wheels. And only the hood and roof paint are shot.

After 2 hours of my time (across two days - I applied and thoroughly rubbed in a coat of mineral oil, let it dry for a day, then pressure washed, dried, waxed, buffed), here's the result.
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car

A whole new truck!

·
Registered
2017 Nissan Frontier s King Cab
21 Posts
Been readin' through the forums since I picked up a new rig at an absolute steal of a price from a friend/co-worker. I had been without a vehicle, at the mercy of public transportation for 16 years. And while I was busy tryin' to find a first gen Tacoma, she came and found me. Paid for and titled 10 days ago, so I'm the proud new owner of a not-so-new '98 King Cab XE 4x4 manual.

She's in excellent mechanical condition, especially for having 191k on her, but could use some cosmetic love. Came with the stock-ish size 235/75-15 KO2s you see in the pictures below. Other than that, paint is shot; wheels are shot; headliner is falling down and the backing board is warped too; whole undercarriage is under siege by rust but structurally holding for now; topper it came with is worn and dated. But the body and bed are solid as can be. Only one rust spot in front of the front passenger fender, a few rust bubbles between the top windshield trim and roof, and a dent behind the passenger door down by the rocker. Absolutely no bed rust, and she's not lined! Interior's outstanding, too, aside from the headliner.

Plan is to get her just about factory restored, sit her up about 1.5" with a PML and another 1" or so with some 265/75-15 shoes later on down the line, then love on her till either she dies or I do. Whichever comes first.

I've already changed the oil and spark plugs; pressure washed the undercarriage pretty good and cleaned a bit under the hood to better assess the source and age of the oil buildup you see in the pictures below; reconditioned all black plastic trim with mink oil (old trick I picked up from an uncle); slightly reconditioned all light housings using Brasso (same uncle); replaced the driver side window crank handle; replaced the cracked and chipped windshield; and replaced the EVAP purge control valve that was throwin' a P1444 code.

Next up:
  • hit the wheels in much the same way minus the corroseal, but adding new clearcoat
  • see what I can do to protect the remaining paint until I can save for body work and full paint job (proper, so likely north of $2,500)
  • spray in bed liner

Already learned a lot in here. Lookin' forward to learnin' more as I bring her around.

View attachment 337641 View attachment 337642 View attachment 337643 View attachment 337644 View attachment 337645 View attachment 337646 View attachment 337647 View attachment 337648 View attachment 337649

Next up:
  • spray in bed liner

View attachment 337641 View attachment 337642 View attachment 337643 View attachment 337644 View attachment 337645 View attachment 337646 View attachment 337647 View attachment 337648 View attachment 337649
Welcome to da club :)

·
Registered
Great truck
1,359 Posts
welcome to the club!!

that truck don't look to bad. and its low mileage, compared to some around here. shoot, compared to my 01 i sold last year, ha ha ha, and it still ran awesome. that truck ought to make you very happy for a long time

1 - 8 of 8 Posts