Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I am from Oklahoma and I am trying to find others that are already hauling bumper-pull campers with their Frontier (preferably crew cab 4x4 SV) and find out about their experiences.

My wife and I are looking to upgrade into a newer Frontier preferably 4x4 for the mountain roads when we do not have the travel trailer and just trying to find out other experiences. We are currently looking for around a 12' to 15' trailer (or less) and it seems average weight comes in between 3,000 and 4,000 lbs and adding about another 1000 lbs for travel (water/food/gear). This comes to around 5,000 which seems to be a good theoretical ratio as 80% of 6300 is 5,040 but since we have no travel trailer towing experience of our own yet we are really looking for insight from others.

Anybody with a similar setup that may be able to give me some input?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Payload is going to be your biggest limiting factor. My crew cab 4x4 SV with Value Truck Package has a payload of 957lbs. Tongue weight of a 5,000lb trailer is 600lbs at 12%, leaving you 357lbs for everything else in the truck (passengers, luggage, tools, etc).

Also, 2014+ Frontiers have a maximum trailer frontal area of 30sq ft. So if your trailer is 7' wide, it can't be more than 4' tall, assuming it's a box-front end. A wedge or V-nose can be taller.

Realistically speaking, the Frontier should pull that trailer around without breaking much of a sweat. I've towed a race car on a flat deck trailer that totaled 5000lbs and it wasn't bad. I say that because I used to have an F250, which pulled that like it wasn't there. I'm looking at getting a Carson Kalispell or something to camp in, and pull with the Frontier.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts