Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a new 2016 Nissan Frontier from my local dealer. This is the second straight vehicle I have purchased there. The first was an absolute breeze and was actually quite enjoyable. This latest one was just the opposite. The only reason I ended up buying was that I really needed a truck.

My story should have been short and sweet but it ended up a sordid soap opera. It began with a visit to said dealer and a test drive. It ended a week later with a purchase of the truck. What happened in-between was quite painful and unprofessional. To add insult to injury the salesman (the "high" point of the experience) literally begged me for a good (as in all 10s) review ... while, as part of the sale, we were asked to sign a form stating that we hadn't been coerced into providing a good rating for our buying experience.

It's very sad if you think about it. Our experience with the dealership was bad but the salesman was good. If we honestly fill out the Nissan survey the salesman gets dinged while the dealership suffers not (or so we were told). What's wrong with this scenario?

Anyone here actually have a positive buying experience? Any dealer reps spend time here? If so, please chime in to explain how screwed up my buying experience was.

Thank you ...

·
Registered
364 Posts
Unfortunetly that is the case that the saleman gets hit and not the dealership. They always say if you can not provide a 10 on the survey give them the chane to make it right first. Do this! contact the sales manager (a different one than "helped" you) or if you have to go above his head. Good luck man and make sure you get things squared away.

·
Registered
560 Posts
You stated the sales person was good. So what was "bad". The finance person, the sales manager?

Last time I purchases a Nissan/Datsun they didn't have the survey.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
I am curious as to what was the problem?
Guess I was lucky on most all my vehicle purchases.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Mine was pretty rough too. I've had the truck for 3 weeks now, here's the highlights. This was all at Town Center Nissan in the Atlanta area. Really disappointed with the sales experience. Good thing the truck makes up for their shittyness.

• I arranged my own financing, had a check in hand
  • Went in, got a brand new sales person who didnt know anything about the truck (good thing I had researched the hell out of it)
  • Sales person was shadowed by Assistant Sales Manager who was visibly upset that I wouldnt buy the truck at his number and wanted to negotiate a better deal.
  • I walked out after we couldnt get to a price we agreed on. He had all my numbers.
  • Called later and wanted me to come back in at my number. Once I got in, wanted me to pay an extra $500 that they had discounted me cuz I'm not financing through them. I threatened to walk out and he backed down from that
  • Wanted me to fill out another credit app though I had my own financing. I refused, threatened to leave again, they backed down.
  • Made the finance guy make me wait 2+ hours before finally calling me in to finish the transaction.
  • Upon delivery, truck was to come with carpeted floor mats, bed extender, tie down cleates for util-trak, tow hitch ball thing. None were deliverd cuz they "lost" them and made me do a "We Owe".
  • 3 Weeks in, I still dont have those things, went in over the weekend, they hadnt even ordered them. Parts guy said sales pulls this **** all the time hoping people forget. Its around $1500 in stuff at the dealers prices so i guess they were trying to make up for what they sold me the truck at? I hope I have all the parts they owe me by the end of the week.
  • Never did a walk through of the truck and how things work, not a big deal, I didnt need it but yeah...

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
You must have a lot more patience than me. I would have walked before it even got that far.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
For my most recent purchase two years ago, I was fortunate to find a small dealership in the middle of no where (between Ocala & St Augustine) who negotiated with me over the phone after I asked for the internet sales department. Out the door price is what you want and everything in writing(accessories, add-ons, extra key fob remote, etc) - turns out their calculations were wrong and I wound up saving $500.

I've walked out on plenty of dealerships - and was met with better deals from other local ones based on me giving my feedback and experience from those other places. Someone will always want your money. Buying a 1-3 year old used vehicle also helped saved several thousands of dollars and having it Certified w/an extended warranty.

Tough these days unless you have everything in writing up front - dealerships are designed to sell at high volumes and milk every single dollar out of you(commissions, dealer incentive to hitting targets, warranties, extra dealer fees, etc.). For the dealer, it's mostly about selling units and for the buyer, should take out emotions (most vehicle & home purchases are emotional ones for folks) and use logic/facts(market value) when going to buy and factoring in how much are you willing to spend. Going in informed and diligent usually will get you and the dealer a mutual outcome.

·
Super Moderator
10,435 Posts
The dealer wants your money more than you need their vehicle. Always let them think you consider it an appliance and never show any enthusiasm, it really throws them off their game.

Clint

·
Registered
260 Posts
It looks to me crooked dealers on both side of the border. After ordering my new truck at Ensenada Nissan.Almost everything they said not true.It started with my deposit,pay cash total When truck arrives it will be here in two weeks. 3 months later truck came. General Manager at the time of truck pick up.Says you cant drive truck off the lot with out INS its the Law.(That is true) He said we have very competitive rates. I told him I need INS both country's, He said its only offered in Mexico $2,800 dollars. I declined said I will be back First Ins office $850 full coverage/free towing/both country's. I returned put policy on his desk,said competitive rates. He then had the nerve to ask me to fill out same survey. He said if you dont give us a 10 rating it will look bad for me.He was from the US spoke perfect English, I said do you want me to Lie. I walked out Not filling out his survey. Two weeks later Factory Nissan rep calls the house. How are you satisfied with dealer,He had to hear whole story.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My wife works for Nissan/Infiniti and has to do call backs on these surveys. They take those surveys very seriously. If the dealer as a whole doesn't maintain a certain rating, Nissan cuts back on the spending and allowances offered to that dealer. Nothing really affects the salesman directly, they just improve their numbers by getting the surveys completed. Sucks that they always want that high rating, but fail to deliver actions that warrant that high rating. Be honest on those surveys, thats what Nissan wants. Forget what the dealer wants.

·
Registered
161 Posts
My wife works for Nissan/Infiniti and has to do call backs on these surveys. They take those surveys very seriously. If the dealer as a whole doesn't maintain a certain rating, Nissan cuts back on the spending and allowances offered to that dealer. Nothing really affects the salesman directly, they just improve their numbers by getting the surveys completed. Sucks that they always want that high rating, but fail to deliver actions that warrant that high rating. Be honest on those surveys, thats what Nissan wants. Forget what the dealer wants.
Do the individual survey's make it to the dealerships? I was very candid on my survey a week after buying the truck and I never got a call from Nissan, nor did the dealer bother to order the stuff they owed me till i showed up in person. I'm truly hoping this time I get the stuff in the 4 days they promised me.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Do the individual survey's make it to the dealerships? I was very candid on my survey a week after buying the truck and I never got a call from Nissan, nor did the dealer bother to order the stuff they owed me till i showed up in person. I'm truly hoping this time I get the stuff in the 4 days they promised me.
They do make it back to the dealer, not sure how long it takes though. Usually to the service manager, or GM. I know they are reviewed with the techs at her work and customers do get call backs to try and make things right (another of my wife's duties).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mine was ok. Made the deal over the phone as the only Extended Cab SV with the equipment I wanted was 3 hours away. Everything went fine, except one thing. Brand new vehicle, 17 miles on the clock, no new car smell. They had used some kind of coconut air freshener in it. Seems to be concentrated in the jump seats in back. Dealer says they are going to replace the seats, but so far, they haven't come in yet. 2nd Frontier I've bought from this family of dealerships. I had to pull the right rear seat out the smell was that bad. My wife has some neuro issues and is very sensitive to smells, she couldn't get in it at first. It is getting better with the seat out, but very disappointing. Haven't seen a survey yet, but I will hold it until I get resolution on the smell.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Have seen both sides of this. After a lot of research decided I wanted to drive a new Frontier. Set up appt with local dealer, was 100% up front about where I was at in the process. Drove the truck, dealer (obviously) wanted to make a deal, I went along for a bit. They offered a deal that was ok. Not great, but ok. Said I was going to think about it and left. Heard from a number of ppl "go talk with X" so I did. A little farther away but they made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Much better price, better options, better add ins and a very solid buying experience. I received the Nissan survey and accurately rated them very high, was sure to mention salesperson by name in comments. Wife's car is almost 2 years old, will probably buy it's replacement from same dealer.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just confirmed with the wife some info. Once a bad review comes in, they get a "hot alert" email. The sales person is required to call you within 24hrs and try and make things right. The store manager knows this came in as well as, and follows up with the sales person. They want to make sure everyone is happy, otherwise corporate is on their ***.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I bought my truck used from a Toyota dealer. Had some work done at the local Nissan dealership and received an online survey to fill out. The dealer sucked and I told them so on the survey. I received a call from corporate wanting to know about my dissatisfaction. I told them my story and they wanted to know how they could make it better. I told them to pull that shitty dealers franchise as I'll tell everyone I know to avoid nissan if that's the dealer they will ever have to work with. Sure you can go out of town to purchase, but are you going to go out of town for service? Not likely.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The biggest issue I had with my dealership (St. Augustine, Florida) was that they 'sold' me on the first 3 years of maintenance, and folded that into the price of the vehicle. That's exactly how it was sold to me, the first 3 years of maintenance are paid for in the purchase price.

What I actually GOT was a book of coupons. So that was an outright lie that they fed me and I would highly encourage everyone to steer clear of such things. *** I would normally only do my own maintenance, but part of the reason of going to St. Augustine was that they were willing to work with me to find what I wanted where others weren't, and the other part was their lifetime warranty so long as you bring the truck to get the regular maintenances done at a dealership. Hard to pass up on that free lifetime warranty and I know the trucks are not nearly as reliable as the old hardbodys were. Too many electronics that can go bad these days.

If I could warn anyone in north central Florida, stay the HELL away from Gainesville Nissan. They are flat out liars in each and every way. Salespeople, service, managers, and even parts. About the only guy I could trust in any way was one of the technicians who loved working on the old hardbodies. Other than him, not a single person at that dealership deserves to be employed.

*** and I'm not sure if I violate some rules by calling out a dealership by name here as I just did, but if that's the case, I have MULTIPLE counts of documented proof and service receipts from their scam setup that they have going. Most everyone I know who has gone to look for a vehicle there has had the same experience and ended up going to Ocala, St Augustine, or Orlando.

Reactions: ef9

·
Premium Member
5,760 Posts
I bought my frontier used at a Toyota dealer. The experience was mostly good. The salesman, while he didn't know loads about the truck (common, I normally know more about cars than the person selling it to me) he was a bit of a car guy and an outdoorsman, so I got a good vibe off him. I've bought enough vehicles over the years to know all the tricks, so I would actually tell him I knew what he was doing as he was doing it.

Financing went fine, though they dumped me in the office of the add on accessories lady without me realizing it. All of the sudden I was in a tiny office with a Lady and her new trainee and she was trying to sell me all the add ons. after about a half hour of me repeating that I don't want anything added to the truck, she finally let me go.

There was an upsell on the extended warranty, but they basically gave me three options for it and did not pressure me to get it, simply told me price and what each price got me and how much it increased my payment.

I may be lucky, as the twin cities has two large family of dealers who are most times honest to deal with.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just confirmed with the wife some info. Once a bad review comes in, they get a "hot alert" email. The sales person is required to call you within 24hrs and try and make things right. The store manager knows this came in as well as, and follows up with the sales person. They want to make sure everyone is happy, otherwise corporate is on their ***.
lol havent got anything from my dealer yet. All i want at this point is for them to give me the stuff I paid for that wasnt with the truck. :/

·
Registered
231 Posts
Mine went well but I researched the price that I knew I could get before hand by using USAA's Auto Circle, reading forums like this, and looking at internet pricing of high volume dealers around the nation. I secured financing before hand and was ready to rock when I showed up. The only thing they haggled over was that I was not going to get some promotional iPad if I didn't use Nissan financing, I passed on the iPad, signed some form saying they didn't owe it to me and I bought the truck. I called my credit union from the finance office, passed my cell phone over to the finance guy and they did their thing and I walked away with a truck.

However... I chose this dealer based on their advertised internet price (high volume dealer in one of the biggest cities in the US) and the price was only a few hundred bucks higher than I had seen anyone buy a truck for, and a couple thousand lower than truecar and Auto Circle suggested pricing, so I didn't bother haggling over the price.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts