Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2002 Desert Runner King Cab and I'm wanting to mount a "poly" box in the bed of my truck and I'm not sure the best way to go about it, I searched through the forum and didn't see anything but if I'm wrong I apologize!

I've got a Greene Horizons Bed Box similar to the one in the picture I attached, I want to mount it either up near the front of the bed by the rear window or back between one of the wheel wells and the tailgate. I bought two 8 inch L shaped angled brackets from Home Depot and some self drilling sheet metal screws, can I just screw that angled bracket to the bed and mount the box to it? I mean I know I CAN do that just wondering if that will hold it in place well enough and how difficult getting a screw into the bed will be, I've got a power drill so I should be good!

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry again if this topic is covered in another thread, and sorry if its a dumb question I'm not the most experienced with auto work/repairs and **** like that!

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you decide to mount it with screws, you may want to see if you can access the backside of the bed in your mounting location. If you can, bolting it instead of screwing it would give you a stronger, more secure mount. Some washers and nylon lock-nuts would be a good idea to keep it from wiggling itself loose. Good luck with the projecct

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Yes,what deckcc193 suggested.I would use 3/8 socket button head bolts with area washers(4 places).

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
I have cross-bed tool boxes mounted on my trucks, I just drilled holes and used sheet metal screws, very secure. So maybe 4 or 6 sheet metal screws in the bottom of the box through the truck bed. Use fender washers t even out the stress.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Do what you want but in my opinion sheet metal screws are for low load situations. Doubt if they would hold up in any type of impact especially with a loaded tool box.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
If you don't have access underneath to use nuts,another way is to use "rivnuts. The best way to attach bolts to sheet metal.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More info/update

I'm going to use the box to hold 1-2 quarts of oil, antifreeze, jumper cables, fix a flat, etc. I've got a toolbox in the cab just don't have enough room for the fluids and extra stuff, if my truck wasn't 15 years old I wouldn't feel the need to carry all around all that stuff but I'd rather be safe than sorry I guess!

Thanks for all the updates and information, I'll check it out and see if I've got access to the underside of the bed where I want to mount it and probably go with bolts, washers and nylon lock nuts.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
I would try to come up with something that would be easily disconnected if I wanted to move the box and use the bed for other purposes. Given it's a poly box, I assume it is more for containment than security. I would use a couple rotary draw latches to hold it in place. Couple of twists, and it can be pulled out when you need the room.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would try to come up with something that would be easily disconnected if I wanted to move the box and use the bed for other purposes. Given it's a poly box, I assume it is more for containment than security. I would use a couple rotary draw latches to hold it in place. Couple of twists, and it can be pulled out when you need the room.

Being able to easily disconnect it would be ideal I just couldn't think of a way to make that happen, thanks for doing the thinking for me!
Would two rotary draw latches be enough to hold it in place or should I go with three or four of them?

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Being able to easily disconnect it would be ideal I just couldn't think of a way to make that happen, thanks for doing the thinking for me!
Would two rotary draw latches be enough to hold it in place or should I go with three or four of them?
A lot would depend on your driving habits and the weight of the items in the box... Generally if you are driving on-road and the box is not loaded with heavy tools, I would think two would be plenty.

If you are more off-road or tend to have heavy tools in the box, I would consider 4 of them. The latches also come in various sizes. That could be a factor as well...

I hauled a tote around for a long time with a couple small bungee cords holding it in place. I really never moved. (I didn't take it off road).

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
No tie downs in your bed corners? I'd just strap it down with a ratchet strap.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I am a big fan of rotary latches .I had four holding down an ammo can. Heard it fall off during the 1000. After that failure I drilled and tapped the plate(the plate was held to the bed with rivnuts)and bolted the can to the plate.Easily removed.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Won't let me post more than one photo at a time.Too big?

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts