Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How to install PAC SWI units on 05-07 Frontiers (Now with PICS!!)

Hey guys I saw that there were some of you like myself who were having trouble with these things. I thought I would give back to the community here and help you guys through it. I hope to be able to add the detailed pics tomm. to help you guys along, but for right now here's the text version. My installation was of the PAC SWI-JACK for my Kenwood DNX-5120. This model also works with ALPINE, JVC, and Clarion BUT the installation process appears to be the same for most PAC units across the board with some minor differences depending on which head unit you have. PAC's website can help you more with other versions if my guide doesn't answer your question. The link is:
iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future

Okay here we go!! Prior to pulling my dash apart I decided to do all the prep work. When you first pull the unit out it looks a little daunting. Although there are so many wires we only need to worry about three of them.
The wires we will be using are the RED, BLACK, and WHITE wires. Simple as that! I wrapped all the other wires up and just zip tied them.
Everything needed for the installation

The three wires we need... White, Red, and Black

Second I soldered the two OHM resistors. You are going to use the 150 and 47 resistors. Took a little research but I found the color coding guide on line. The 150 resistor is colored Brown - Green - Brown - Gold while the 47 resistor is colored Yellow - Purple - Brown - Gold. After figuring this out I connected these two to the WHITE wire forming a Y.
The OHM selectors wired

After this was done I went out and pulled the dash apart, and removed my Kenwood stereo. I connected the red wire into the red wire connected to my stereo harness and the black to a ground point. Next I found the pin selector which held the stereo controls. It is easy to find because it only has three wires there (Gray, Red, and Blue) Now as you guys know there isn't much wire there so what I did was clip the selector off, stripped the wires and connected some extra wire to these. I then soldered the resistors to that extra wire and taped up the connections. I soldered the 150 resistor to the Gray wire, and the 47 resistor to the Red wire. I connected another piece of wire to the blue wire for the ground. IMPORTANT thing to remember here is that it is the BLUE wire from the truck that is grounded, NOT the BLUE wire from the PAC unit. If the blue wire from the truck is not grounded the PAC unit WILL NOT WORK.
Time to take it apart

Remove the top tray and remove screw

Front panel removed

Pin selector that is needed

The three wires we need Gray, Red, and the Blue has the wire connector on it. This is the wire that is grounded!!

Pin selector cut with enough to reconnect if needed

OHM Resistors soldered and taped

OHM Resistors soldered and taped (close up)

After this the wiring portion of the project is just about completed, but I will get back to that later. We are now ready for the programming part. First hold the program button down on the PAC unit and then turn the accessory power on... the LED should turn red if everything is wired properly. Release the button and the LED should go off. After doing this enter your version number by pressing the program button the same number of times as your version. FOR EXAMPLE: The version of mine was three so I pressed the programming button three times. The unit will then blink the same number of times as your version. Now turn the ignition switch OFF. Next make sure that your stereo selector is set to the proper brand. This is found on the opposite side of the programming button. For instance mine is a Kenwood and the corresponding number is three so I switched the selector to three.

The next sequence NEEDS TO BE COMPLETED VERY QUICKLY. YOU ONLY HAVE SEVEN SECONDS TO COMPLETE EACH COMMAND. I learned this the hard way haha. You guys really don't want to know how long it took me to figure this out. You will turn the ignition back on and press the program button once. The LED should be red at this point. Now you follow the sequence listed on the installation guide (Stereo specific sequence found on PAC's website or in the install instructions). Although I was able to program nine options I only needed to use eight. First was Vol up. I held the volume up button till the light went out then moved onto Vol down following the same procedure. If you come to an option that you don't need you can skip it by pressing the programming button ONCE and then move on through the rest of the sequence. When you come to the end of the sequence just let the unit sit and it will save all the info on its own.

Now turn the ignition switch off and hook up your stereo. With Kenwood stereos you need to hook up the blue/yellow wire from the PAC unit to the same wire from the stereo harness. With other brands you can just plug the jack into the back of the stereo. Before putting everything back together just check to make sure that everything is working properly. If so then reinstall the stereo paying close attention to the resistors. I actually taped mine back out of the way so they wouldn't get damaged.
The finished result with Nissan logo

Overall I am pleased with the unit. It is nice to be able to use the steering wheel controls again, BUT the buttons are not as responsive as the factory setup. There is a slight delay between pressing the button and getting a response. Although this is the case I would rather have this delay then be without them. I can't tell you how many times I pressed the volume button and couldn't understand why the stereo wasn't going down. Anyway I hope this all makes sense and it makes life easier for some of you. Feel free to contact me with any questions and I will help you if I can. Look for the pictures of the install in the next couple days.
Thanks for reading and have a great day!!

·
Registered
602 Posts
how many wires was on the plug for the steering wheel controls if i remeber right i had like 4 or 5 at least

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For my 06 LE CC w/ RF I only had the three that are pictured. RED, Gray, and Blue. There is another pin selector that remains unused and this is probably the one you are looking at because according to PAC an 07 only uses the same three wires that I have pictured above.

·
Registered
602 Posts
nice write up i will check it out again and post back what i find i swore i thought it had more and the wires i hooked up to was doing volume and stuff i just wired something up wrong because it burnt cd and the pac unit up

1 - 5 of 5 Posts