Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry guy I've been looking everywhere and I find very little info.

Im trying to install new amp and speakers and looking to get rid of the factory amp. I;m trying to avoid installing an LOC after factory amp. Is there any way, harness ,option,ect for me to come up with RCA to feed the new amp using factory Rockford (Navi) radio signal?

·
Premium Member
6,719 Posts
You can probably unplug the inputs to the factory amp and splice in RCA cables for a pre-amp signal. The diagram for the amp plugs is in the FSM

·
Registered
313 Posts
I used something like this for a little while, until I swapped the head unit.
Clipped the corresponding wires behind the head unit and spliced in the adapters. Ran RCA’s to my amp. Most Kicker amps have a switch for line level/preamp level signal. This corrects the signal level coming into the amp, so you can set the gain correctly.

I used a 5 channel amp. It was 75w to each door at 4ohms and 410w to the sub at 2ohms. I also ran new 14ga wire to each of the doors and 12ga to the sun while I was at it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was thinking of using an amp with high level inputs and feed all 4 channels directly from the RF head unit. Im just debating if its worth investing in a device like the LC6i

·
Premium Member
6,719 Posts
I was thinking of using an amp with high level inputs and feed all 4 channels directly from the RF head unit. Im just debating if its worth investing in a device like the LC6i
It wouldn't be high-level from the RF head unit, the RF head unit doesn't have internal amplification... that's why the RF has a separate amp.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It wouldn't be high-level from the RF head unit, the RF head unit doesn't have internal amplification... that's why the RF has a separate amp.
I agree with you however I feel like it wouldn't be RCA level either. Then it wouldn't make to use an LOC either after bypassing the factory amp. If I'm understanding all of this correctly if my RF headunit's output is actually low level then I would be ordering myself something like this

Does it makes sense? Honestly I'm totally lost with this project. I've done 3 cars but all of them were old school and had aftermarket head units. My last car had a Mark Levinson audio system that was pretty badass stock. First time messing with a head unit that does a lot more than just play music.

·
Premium Member
6,719 Posts
I agree with you however I feel like it wouldn't be RCA level either. Then it wouldn't make to use an LOC either after bypassing the factory amp. If I'm understanding all of this correctly if my RF headunit's output is actually low level then I would be ordering myself something like this

https://www.amazon.com/Kicker-KISL-...qid=1518917767&sr=8-3&keywords=speaker+to+rca

Does it makes sense? Honestly I'm totally lost with this project. I've done 3 cars but all of them were old school and had aftermarket head units. My last car had a Mark Levinson audio system that was pretty badass stock. First time messing with a head unit that does a lot more than just play music.
What? Why would you bring up a LOC if you're bypassing? Are you sure you know what you're talking about?

What makes you "feel" that the outputs of the RF head unit aren't line-level?

Old school or new school, doesn't matter- line-level is still line-level and high-level is high-level. Line-level is before any amplification, high-level is after any amplification. If you are removing the RF amplifier, then all you have is the RF head unit outputs and your speakers.

So yeah, you just need to splice in RCA plugs to the RF outputs. You can buy whatever that cable is, it's just an RCA with the other end being bare wires. Or you can splice into some regular RCA cable, either way does the job. Then you have your line-level input signal to RCA to plug into the aftermarket amp.

But again, don't expect better sound, just louder sound.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh I was reading the user manual on the LC6i and it said to hookup between the factory HU and the factory amp. I think i will use a multimeter to determine the voltage pre amp. If its over 4v then it would be speaker level input.

As for amp bypass i mean its bypassing the factory amp? Like directing signal from the HU directlty to the speakers?

Guess my other option is installing an LOC to my factory amp and leave it there?

·
Premium Member
6,719 Posts
Oh I was reading the user manual on the LC6i and it said to hookup between the factory HU and the factory amp. I think i will use a multimeter to determine the voltage pre amp. If its over 4v then it would be speaker level input.

As for amp bypass i mean its bypassing the factory amp? Like directing signal from the HU directlty to the speakers?

Guess my other option is installing an LOC to my factory amp and leave it there?
Oh boy...

...you have it way wrong, dude. I don't think you're understanding what's going on here, or how the LC6i works. "If it's over 4v then it would be speaker level input"? Not sure where you got this from, considering My Kenwood head unit (and many other head units) standard pre-amp voltage is 5.0v.

After reading your other posts again, I think the other option you mentioned (LOC to the factory amp) is the best choice for you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So you guys call me crazy but I will attempt to fabricate my own harness to swap amplifier. Like I said before I have the complete diagram for my truck and I had already verified all the wire match my diagrams.

The goal is to fabricate a harness that will hook up with the connector from the head unit and it will provide, 4 channel RCA output, Remote and I'm even thinking of adding speaker wires to test it out with factory speakers without even routing new wiring yet, just for testing purposed. What I expect to accomplish is to hook up an aftermarket amp in place if the original using this custom harness. Should this go well I will proceed to upgrade speakers and new wiring. Should this fail no harm has been done, I didnt cut any wire just fabricated a harness that cost me less then $180.

Here is what I bought to start my project. It is a GM headunit metra harness, I beleive its also used across other american and japanese car manufacture. I compared my connector and mating socket in the amp and looked very much alike, needless to say the number of pins match up. For $6 I ran the chance to order it and hope it mates to my factory harness. Again if its fail its only less than $10.

Harness- Metra Part # 70-2003 | GM wire harness | Metra Online

RCAs- https://www.crutchfield.com/S-dTq76L9rfuD/p_206KISL/Kicker-KISL.html x2

What im going to do crimp terminals to the RCA wires, repin the custom connector to match the RCA to the channels from the HU and match the provided speaker wires to the factory speaker wiring.

As for amplifier I will choose one that has pre amp outputs to feed another amp and maybe (although I dont thing I need it a this point) pick an amp that accepts high level input just in the remote case my head unit actually does speaker level which I doubt considering its has a factory amp.

Why I'm doing this? While I have my mind set on keeping the factory HU for now I dont feel like wiring an LOC to the factory amp output because it has internal crossovers that split high and lows on the front channels, I was told that RF headunit with nav has a clean enough signal.

Future projects:

Fab a custom box to install a sub on the factory RF shitty sub location and keeping my under seat storage on the passenger side

·
Premium Member
6,719 Posts
After replying to your numerous PMs and other threads, it's obvious you're not reading, so GLHF

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After replying to your numerous PMs and other threads, it's obvious you're not reading, so GLHF
oh I am. I just feel this is something that has never been attempted on the Frontier, so I'm just experimenting at this point. To be honest with you I went to Titantalk which have the same Rockford system as we do and of course the correct way was to hook up a Digital Sound Processor and that would make it sound better than any aftermarket HU out there and I agree with you all that an aftermarket HU is the most cost efficient way. However after reading a thread in Clubfrontier, Titantalk and several places online, although is very difficult apparently this has been done with success on a Titan with Rockford Fosgate Premium Sound System in which they eliminated the factory amp, retained the factory HU functions and they were able to hook up and aftermarket amp to power the speakers. I have to admit the setup look confusing on that thread, lots of wires cut, not very clean. So I'm just giving it a shot at a very low cost and 100% irreversible. Lets call it an engineering test LOL. If I fail then I will def go with an aftermarket HU, and probably engineer some harness to hook up the camera. One thing for sure is im not dropping $600 on a sound processor, I'd rather get a nice HU.

I can keep you all posted if interested in my results

·
Premium Member
6,719 Posts
Honestly I don't know why you're making it complicated, when you cut it down to basics all you have is an OEM RF head unit feeding an OEM RF amp that's powering the OEM speakers.

If you remove the RF amp, you have line level outputs coming out of the RF head unit. So you just have to connect those to your aftermarket amp's line-level inputs. everything else (factory functions) will still work as is because all you're doing is re-routing the RF head unit outputs to your aftermarket amp instead of the RF amp.

You don't need some $180 complicated harness, you don't need an LOC, you don't need a DSP. You're just simply bypassing the RF amp. And the end result of this simple bypass is that you'll have louder OEM sound. Not better, not clearer - just louder.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Honestly I don't know why you're making it complicated, when you cut it down to basics all you have is an OEM RF head unit feeding an OEM RF amp that's powering the OEM speakers.

If you remove the RF amp, you have line level outputs coming out of the RF head unit. So you just have to connect those to your aftermarket amp's line-level inputs. everything else (factory functions) will still work as is because all you're doing is re-routing the RF head unit outputs to your aftermarket amp instead of the RF amp.

You don't need some $180 complicated harness, you don't need an LOC, you don't need a DSP. You're just simply bypassing the RF amp. And the end result of this simple bypass is that you'll have louder OEM sound. Not better, not clearer - just louder.
I know man I've been a bit OCD with this but essentially you have described exactly what I'm trying to do with this harness I'm fabricating. Thanks for the input now a feel more confident of what im doing here

·
Registered
55 Posts
Raine is right. Ever hear of the KISS methodology?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,719 Posts
Thanks for the input now a feel more confident of what im doing here
TBH I don't... especially that part when you said "...fabricate a harness that will hook up with the connector from the head unit and it will provide, 4 channel RCA output, Remote and I'm even thinking of adding speaker wires"

But hey, you have to learn from mistakes eventually. I'll leave you to it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
UPDATE:

My custom harness is complete. Hooked it up to the factory harness going to the amp and so far I'm getting a whooping 12V remote (manual says 6.5V) and 2v AC current from RCAs at max volume.

I have ordered this amp to take place of the RF. Now looking for speakers. I'm between Alpine SPS-610 or Polks 651 or 652. Let me know what you guys think.

Amp:
https://alpine-usa.com/product/view/pdx-v9

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts