Nissan Frontier Forum banner

161 - 180 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Ok, so I am planning on replacing both diff oils when I get my Shrock rear diff protector and add on the PRG vent mod at the same time. Seems like the best time to just change out all the diff oils/transfer case/ as well as the transmission oil. I just rolled over 7000 miles on the truck so it's a good time to me to get those stock crap oils out of my truck once and for all. In trying to gather together my shopping list of royal purple, I'm maybe a bit dense in my understanding or having a bit of issue as they don't actually make a dedicated transmission oil it seems. Stated in this thread is that the transmission uses 75W85 or 75W95? So as long as I buy that, that should be good for the manual transmission changeout? Nothing really special or unique between the diff or the transmission oil I guess is where I'm getting at. It's just oil to a specific set of standards.

I don't have my vehicle's manual on me as it's in the truck, but it tends to be as about as useful as not having one at all, at least compared to the info they used to give you in those things. It seems to me they really don't want you knowing or touching anything in your vehicles these days, so even the manual hides any and all useful numbers or info deep in between hundreds of stupidly useless pages.

I'm just trying to quantify how many quarts of each type of oil I need to buy right now is all.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hello everybody - I was not sure where to put this so I am posting in a couple different threads:

Vehicle info for Both - 6 Speed, 4x4, CC, 4.0

Transfer case (T-case, T Case) Oil Change. I have owned a 2012 & 2011 Frontier and changed all the oils on both. That being said - both the 2011 and the 2012 had gear oil in the transfer case. Frustrating in that you read the manual and it states to use ATF....then you pull the plug and see otherwise. Refilled mine with what was used in the Tranny GL-4. On that note, I don't think ATF should be used in Frontiers that come with Manual transmissions. just get me to thinking that the oil slinger, pump, or whatever they use might be slightly different from the ATF system?? Chime in if you know otherwise.

Cheers

Henry

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Hello everybody - I was not sure where to put this so I am posting in a couple different threads:

Vehicle info for Both - 6 Speed, 4x4, CC, 4.0

Transfer case (T-case, T Case) Oil Change. I have owned a 2012 & 2011 Frontier and changed all the oils on both. That being said - both the 2011 and the 2012 had gear oil in the transfer case. Frustrating in that you read the manual and it states to use ATF....then you pull the plug and see otherwise. Refilled mine with what was used in the Tranny GL-4. On that note, I don't think ATF should be used in Frontiers that come with Manual transmissions. just get me to thinking that the oil slinger, pump, or whatever they use might be slightly different from the ATF system?? Chime in if you know otherwise.

Cheers

Henry
Um... All second 2005+ frontiers take ATF in the transfer case. If yours had gear oil in it then someone really screwed up. If it's a manual transmission the transfer case doesn't change, still takes ATF. Your manual transmission however does not take ATF, and when I had my 6 speed I changed the transmission fluid with genuine Nissan manual transmission fluid. There is a lot of soft metal in the manual transmission and I didn't want to roll the dice with popular brands, so I just kept it simple with the Nissan fluid.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Um... All second 2005+ frontiers take ATF in the transfer case.
No - that is not correct. Both vehicles from the factory were filled with Gear oil in the transfer case. Lets get objective about this. There is obviously an error somewhere and something isn't correct.

So, I'll ask again - more directly - Do you have a 6 speed, 4x4, CC Frontier 2005+ where you changed the transfer case and it had gear oil instead of ATF.

Cheers and thanks

Bleudog

·
Registered
484 Posts
Nissan MTF which is a GL4 75W85 is available on Amazon and other sites. There are also some other good MT Fluids such as Amsoil and ACDelco friction modified synchromesh fluid. Whatever you decide on be sure not to use GL5 in your manual gearbox, I understand it has too much sulfur and can be hard on the brass synchromesh cones.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Nissan MTF which is a GL4 75W85 is available on Amazon and other sites. There are also some other good MT Fluids such as Amsoil and ACDelco friction modified synchromesh fluid. Whatever you decide on be sure not to use GL5 in your manual gearbox, I understand it has too much sulfur and can be hard on the brass synchromesh cones.
::grin:: Haaa - you guys are killing me!! I am talking about the TRANSFER CASE.

All the manual transmission Frontiers I have owned (a 2011 & 2012) have GEAR OIL IN THE TRANSFER CASE. BUT, the manual calls for ATF whether it is an automatic or manual transmission.

BTW - I used GL-4 Amsoil in the manual transmission and transfer case.

See what I am saying? I am not worried about what to put in the Manual tranny...it is the transfer case and the error in the users manual and the FSM that says to put ATF in the transfer case. Why would Nissan put gear oil in the transfer case to begin with and then tell you to switch to ATF?

I know that it has been stated before that the factory does it for convenience, BUT the :nerd: in me is saying WTF Nissan? Why? Usually the oiling systems are slightly different.

On that note - I would assume that the gear would be better for the T-case to cushion parts during shock loading?

OK - Thanks guys - please don't take this as me being an A-hole or any other hole for that matter.

Cheers

Bleudog

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
::grin:: Haaa - you guys are killing me!! I am talking about the TRANSFER CASE.

All the manual transmission Frontiers I have owned (a 2011 & 2012) have GEAR OIL IN THE TRANSFER CASE. BUT, the manual calls for ATF whether it is an automatic or manual transmission.

BTW - I used GL-4 Amsoil in the manual transmission and transfer case.

See what I am saying? I am not worried about what to put in the Manual tranny...it is the transfer case and the error in the users manual and the FSM that says to put ATF in the transfer case. Why would Nissan put gear oil in the transfer case to begin with and then tell you to switch to ATF?

I know that it has been stated before that the factory does it for convenience, BUT the :nerd: in me is saying WTF Nissan? Why? Usually the oiling systems are slightly different.

On that note - I would assume that the gear would be better for the T-case to cushion parts during shock loading?

OK - Thanks guys - please don't take this as me being an A-hole or any other hole for that matter.

Cheers

Bleudog
I honestly don't know what the **** you're talking about. My 2005 Xterra had a 6 speed, and in the transfer case from the factory came ATF. My 2015 Frontier, again came with ATF in the T-case. The manual states ATF. So where you're pulling this gear oil fact from is beyond me. I truly don't know. Either way, I feel like you are a dick, and you'll like **** something gear oil in there. I know your type, you'll learn when you roast it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I honestly don't know what the **** you're talking about. My 2005 Xterra had a 6 speed, and in the transfer case from the factory came ATF. My 2015 Frontier, again came with ATF in the T-case. The manual states ATF. So where you're pulling this gear oil fact from is beyond me. I truly don't know. Either way, I feel like you are a dick, and you'll like **** something gear oil in there. I know your type, you'll learn when you roast it.
Nice one JUNIOR (aka justwork) - you have fun with your fantasy!! FYI - Junior, you need to look at what the writer is saying and not just about your experiences i.e... I never said it was a fact in the manual/FSM, my truck is not an Xterra, it is not a 2015, and I don't live in Canada.

I know the difference between Gear oil and ATF....I've been turning wrenches all my life - and therein lies the issue. isn't that these forums are all about?

First Frontier I owned came right off the factory floor - I changed the oils at 10k miles. The oil was clear and smelled like gear oil. Same thing with my 2011; Albeit dirty. It could be that somebody FUBAR'ed the process - but that is what I am trying to be OBJECTIVE about.

BTW - its easy to call some a D*** when you live in Canada - I am trying to figure something out - be an adult about it. Unless you would like to visit me in TEXAS - I think that would be a much better time to be D*** to one another.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Nice one JUNIOR (aka justwork) - you have fun with your fantasy!! FYI - Junior, you need to look at what the writer is saying and not just about your experiences i.e... I never said it was a fact in the manual/FSM, my truck is not an Xterra, it is not a 2015, and I don't live in Canada.

I know the difference between Gear oil and ATF....I've been turning wrenches all my life - and therein lies the issue. isn't that these forums are all about?

First Frontier I owned came right off the factory floor - I changed the oils at 10k miles. The oil was clear and smelled like gear oil. Same thing with my 2011; Albeit dirty. It could be that somebody FUBAR'ed the process - but that is what I am trying to be OBJECTIVE about.

BTW - its easy to call some a D*** when you live in Canada - I am trying to figure something out - be an adult about it. Unless you would like to visit me in TEXAS - I think that would be a much better time to be D*** to one another.
Just keep putting gear oil in it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Stop with the insults and bickering, guys.
Will do - I am just here to figure out this weird coincidence.

On a different note - it would appear that nobody has had this issue. So I am figuring an error was made somewhere prior to my purchase of the two trucks. I guess I'll be changing the T-case oil again this weekend.

BUT - if anybody else has found that their T-case had gear oil in it, please PM me or post.

Thanks

Bleudog

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I am looking for an answer and thought I would throw it out there to you experts....

What are the technical differences between the factory recommended 80W-90 HYPOID Gear Oil for my R180 front differential and Full Synthetic 80W-90 Gear Oil?

I do not want to debate, I am just curious and cannot find the answer.

Thanks.

·
Registered
602 Posts
How TRUE everybody's got an opinion or a brother,mother or sister of that brothers friend twice removed that worked for %^$**^ or told them that but good luck in your quest.
My two cents to me factory rec. means it has passed their testing(Someone probably got paid off for it though lol) and might include additional modifiers and or additives in that others oils might or might not.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi everyone. Love this thread. I am coming up on 30K of my 2014 Frontier SE. It has 6 cylinders and an automatic transmission. As I look through the service manual I cannot find where it recommends changing the transmission fluid or the differential fluid. Only check the fluid. at 80K it recommends changing the manual transmission fluid. I also see a lot of recommendations for changing the ATF and Differential if towing, in dusty environments, or if you have a camper shell starting at 40K. So...

1) For city use light driving does the manual specify when to change these fluids?
2) How do I know which differential I have (c200 or M226)?

Thanks so much.

P.S. Just realized how to tell which differential I have. I have the allen bolt plug so must have the C200

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
I am looking for an answer and thought I would throw it out there to you experts....

What are the technical differences between the factory recommended 80W-90 HYPOID Gear Oil for my R180 front differential and Full Synthetic 80W-90 Gear Oil?

I do not want to debate, I am just curious and cannot find the answer.

Thanks.
Don't know if you ever got an answer, but it comes down to additive package. IIRC Hypoid oil has extra 'stuff' but is conventional. Not sure if Synthetic gear oil meets all the extreme pressure requirements that hypoid meets. I would assume that modern full synthetic gear oil does, but we all know what assume ....

Hi everyone. Love this thread. I am coming up on 30K of my 2014 Frontier SE. It has 6 cylinders and an automatic transmission. As I look through the service manual I cannot find where it recommends changing the transmission fluid or the differential fluid. Only check the fluid. at 80K it recommends changing the manual transmission fluid. I also see a lot of recommendations for changing the ATF and Differential if towing, in dusty environments, or if you have a camper shell starting at 40K. So...

1) For city use light driving does the manual specify when to change these fluids?
2) How do I know which differential I have (c200 or M226)?

Thanks so much.

P.S. Just realized how to tell which differential I have. I have the allen bolt plug so must have the C200
reason FSM doesn't direct you to replace your fluids is it assumes (again with the assume...) when you 'check' the fluid you are doing more than a look & sniff.

One option is to draw a sample @ each interval and have it tested by someone like Blackstone Labs... Or just change it.
For the trans, I do a pan drain& fill each 20k, or you could flush it @ 50-60k (drain&fill is easier). txfer drain& fill @ 40k, same with diffs. The txfer & diffs will drain all or near enough to it which is why I go 40K. Trans you're only getting out 1/3 or thereabouts.
This is what I do, fwiw. take it or leave it. I use my truck pretty regularly and she gets a mudbath frequently. I'll likely try to do a full flush around 60-70k for the trans just to be safe.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just did all my fluids after what I think was 90k. The transfer case fluid was mud, and it seems that common. At minimum I'd change that. However if it were me I'd do all the diffsas well and do a drain and fill on the tranny.

I just did all my fluids after what I think was 90k. The transfer case fluid was mud, and it seems that common. At minimum I'd change that. However if it were me I'd do all the diffs as well and do a drain and fill on the tranny.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Shoot, been so long I don't know what came out of the transfer case but I put amsoil equivalent back in. Probably time to check levels on everything again, I did know I put atf in the ps system :)

161 - 180 of 204 Posts