Nissan Frontier Forum banner

181 - 200 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
its good we have more drain holes than most, usually need to remove diff covers!! looking at Redline.com today for their recommendations, D4ATF in manual + automatic trannys + it also shows MT-85 for manuals. i have used their MT-90 in the crummy O2J VW 5 spd + now my O2M 6 spd in the TT both are were 2001,s. shifting was greatly improved in both cases!!! tranny fluids are still a petroleum product anyway, but Redline uses more Ester than most, the good stuff!!

·
Registered
306 Posts
finally getting to my fluid changes today as i received my Redline D-4 for the transfer case + MT 85 for the 6 spd manual tranny, prolly get the 75-90 gear lube tomorrow, also redline! on the oil forums it was noted by the pros + virgin analysis that nissan fluids were semi-syn of just so-so quality. talked to Redline about the heavy Nissan 75-140 in my Dana style rear + asked about using their 75-90 in its place as its a real ester based synthetic of the highest quality, his answer depending on use + your ambient temps lighter lubes can be safely used. on the oil forum a pro suggested Amsoil 75-110 a blend which i did not know existed, its "prolly" a true synthetic but with Amsoil these days it may use fake group III base oils. Redline also now has that viscosity, but since my truck is lightly used i opted for their 75-90 to possibly increase efficiency aka mpg's. a look on the Dana web site shows they want mineral lubes changed quite often depending on driving conditions but show synthetics going much longer + it looks like their saying true group IV PAO + group V Esters!!

·
Registered
306 Posts
full Redline lubes completed

finished doing ALL my driveline lubes with Redline products, but used their 75-90 in the Dana rear + am ENJOYING the increased MPG's! just got the Titan-Dana aluminum cover, + on it it said use 75-140 BUT an enclosed paper noted 90W SYNTHETIC lubes recommended. the cover was listed as a Dana part + not nissan but we all know fitment is the same as I learned on this forum. retired but busy but will install cover soon saving the just replaced Redline 75-90 lube for reinstallation. few owners even do slush box fluid aka automatic tranny changes let alone the differentials but having done several vehicles thru the years believe it to be a worthwhile item IMO.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Ordered Motul Multi ATF 100% synthetic for my transfer case and Motul 75W140 for the rear diff. BTW Motul Multi ATF is Dexron III and Mercon compatible and is listed as Nissan Matic S, D, J and K, and ATF FMS compatible, from the Motul website. Amazon has both for sale, it appears to be super highly rated and in use by many racing teams. I don't beat on my truck ( much ) but having the best gives me piece of mind that these parts will last as long as humanly possible. I expect to drive this thing to my own funeral.
The front diff is weird, 80W90 is apparently only a synthetic blend ( except for perhaps Amsoil ) so I went with Valvoline 80w90 semi-synth blend. I'll report how everything feels and runs after they're swapped out. Several OPs reported their transfer cases switched into and out of 4WD faster and smoother with synthetic. I'm curious to try it out.

·
Registered
306 Posts
true group IV + V synthetic lubes outperform + outlast conventional, semi syn, or fake group III synthetics as most are. some benefits are obvious others not but they are there, so spending for better lubes that don't get dumped like engine oils is surely a good move + Motul is one of the better ones. some manufacturers sell different grades of synthetics as well depending on what your willing to spend!! considering many vehicles go to their graveyard or the repair shop with OE lubes its cheap insurance especially if its a DIY!! as noted above better mpg's can be a benefit + i went from 14 calculated on 500 mile checks to 19 mpg's, a big difference with Redlines Ester based synthetics!! the 14 was winter so i gotta check this winter as cold weather generally cuts mpg's a bit

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Ordered Motul Multi ATF 100% synthetic for my transfer case and Motul 75W140 for the rear diff. BTW Motul Multi ATF is Dexron III and Mercon compatible and is listed as Nissan Matic S, D, J and K, and ATF FMS compatible, from the Motul website. Amazon has both for sale, it appears to be super highly rated and in use by many racing teams. I don't beat on my truck ( much ) but having the best gives me piece of mind that these parts will last as long as humanly possible. I expect to drive this thing to my own funeral.
The front diff is weird, 80W90 is apparently only a synthetic blend ( except for perhaps Amsoil ) so I went with Valvoline 80w90 semi-synth blend. I'll report how everything feels and runs after they're swapped out. Several OPs reported their transfer cases switched into and out of 4WD faster and smoother with synthetic. I'm curious to try it out. The supplier sent me 75w90 by accident for the Motul 75w140 so I offered him to give me a $15.00 rebate if I didn't have to ship it back on his dime, and he accepted; so the 75w90 went in the front and the Valvoline is on a shelf for some other later project.

Update Saturday 8 December 2018
Well its done. What an ordeal, I'm too old and creaky to spend 3 hrs upside-down under a 5000# truck but I did it. Okay, so the transfer case took just under 2.0L to fill, the rear took all of the 2.0L and the front axle, 1.8 pints ( still have a bit from the 1L bottle left over ). Not looking forward to doing that again any time soon, that concrete floor was cold and I don't enjoy this crap anywhere near I did when I was 20. LOL.
Good news is that nothing leaked, I didn't break or strip anything and the rest of the chassis looks solid from a visual inspection. 4WD seems to engage and disengage almost instantly so I guess the transfer case gear set likes that new Motul ATF. Overall, a worthwhile project. The rear axle 75w140 came out almost black, the transfer case was dark red and the front 75w90 was almost clear. Very strange. Motul 75W140 is blue, the ATF red and the 75w90 is a medium-dark green. Interesting stuff. All the fluids appeared almost metal-free, cleaned off the drain plug magnets, the transfer case seemed to have some fine particles swimming in it, didn't seem to be anything to be majorly concerned about, all looked good and no signs of any water contamination.

Attachments

·
Registered
991 Posts
did my rear and transfer case. The rear fluid was easy the trans case was easy but messy because I used a pump.
I got the beck arnley D matic tramission fluid for the trans case, I put about 2 quarts 1/8th in, I assume you do NOT fill it until it pours out like the differentials right?

In anycase the rear diff was synthetic but the front diff says in the manual "NOT SYNTHETIC" So I got regular non synth

I wasn't able to finish it because I have to take my skid plates off to get to the front diff, I'll do it tom.

I must say 4wd engages almost right away now. I have 31k on my 2017 and just changed the fluids.

·
Registered
991 Posts
ts will last as long as humanly possible. I expect to drive this thing to my own funeral.
The front diff is weird, 80W90 is apparently only a synthetic blend ( except for perhaps Amsoil ) so I went with Valvoline 80w90 semi-synth blend. I'
Can someone answer me if the transfer case fill is similar to the diff fills?... Fill till it drips out of fill hole?

not sure if this is a true, fill it up 2 queats 1/8th. no more no loess

·
Registered
484 Posts
I checked my transfer case before I drained it, still had the factory fill. It was just below the bottom of the hole. I refilled it to the same level. That has been about 8K miles ago and no problems. I too used a semi-synthetic in the front diff and full-synthetic in the rear.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hoping I got this right. I just bought fluids....

2016 Pro 4X

Rear Dif: Lucas 75w-140 gear oil synthetic

Front Dif: Lucas 80w-90 gear oil non synthetic

Trans & transfer case: Valvoline Max Life multi vehicle red jug from Walmart. That says compatible with Matic D, J, & S per labeling. The Castrol multi vehicle import trans only mentions the first 2.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
NissanMatic Type "S" is simply Type "J" with added friction modifiers needed in the 7-speed, rear drive tranmission used by Infiniti. Type "S" replaced Type "J," but the RE5R05A trans only calls for "J," so either is fine.

·
Registered
306 Posts
OE differential fluids are said to be semi-syn + liking real group synthetic PAO + or Ester lubes i used redline throught the drivetrain of my new to me 28 thou 2011 frontier SV 6 spd manual. researching Dana the rear in my truck shows they recommend real synthetic 75-90 lube!! although in extreme use a 75-110 or the economy killing molasses 75-140 may suit you if your to thrifty + use lesser cheaper lubes using group III base synthetics. after changing all i gained about 3 mpgs + peace of nind knowing i am using one of the best lubes on the market!

·
Registered
28 Posts
OE differential fluids are said to be semi-syn + liking real group synthetic PAO + or Ester lubes i used redline throught the drivetrain of my new to me 28 thou 2011 frontier SV 6 spd manual. researching Dana the rear in my truck shows they recommend real synthetic 75-90 lube!! although in extreme use a 75-110 or the economy killing molasses 75-140 may suit you if your to thrifty + use lesser cheaper lubes using group III base synthetics. after changing all i gained about 3 mpgs + peace of nind knowing i am using one of the best lubes on the market!
Dunno. Used what the owners manual recommends not what Dana recommends or what I heard was said to be. My understanding is that in the Pro 4X the rear diff has synthetic fluid & the front does not. ?

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Yes, the front diff comes with conventional (or "non-synthetic") gear oil. That doesn't mean you can't put synthetic in it, though.

·
Read Only
90 Posts
Hoping I got this right. I just bought fluids....

2016 Pro 4X

Rear Dif: Lucas 75w-140 gear oil synthetic

Front Dif: Lucas 80w-90 gear oil non synthetic

Trans & transfer case: Valvoline Max Life multi vehicle red jug from Walmart. That says compatible with Matic D, J, & S per labeling. The Castrol multi vehicle import trans only mentions the first 2.
I've read and heard good things about a lot of different oils, but never even seen or heard Lucas mentioned at all, so why'd you go with Lucas?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've read and heard good things about a lot of different oils, but never even seen or heard Lucas mentioned at all, so why'd you go with Lucas?
They were readily available and free shipping on Amazon prime. Went with them for brake fluid as well. I dunno if they are everywhere - they are at all the auto retailers around here.

I used to be that person who paid through the nose for factory fluids or some supposedly super special fluid. At one point I realized I was literally flushing money down the toilet. So, I just switched to name brand fluids that meet the correct spec. I use synthetic for everything if it's made and not contraindicated.

You know what happened when I switched? Nothing. I've never heard of anything failing because of one brand of reputable fluid (assumed correct spec) over another. The important thing is you change them aggressively and the level is correct.

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk

181 - 200 of 204 Posts