Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have figured out how to double my gas mileage. I bought used Altima to knock around in. Between saving gas and keeping miles off my truck it will pay for itself. It is also pretty fun to drive.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought about getting a $700 beater but decided to spend a little more to get something reliable and that I will not hate driving.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Less mileage on frontier but added ins for beater and more maintenance?
I bought my truck to drive not look at in the garage. It's a truck, not a sports car!

·
Premium Member
12,118 Posts
hotrod knocked it outa the park.

i bought my **** to drive it.
plus, depending on what you buy, how long you have it, cost of ins, cost of gas, ect.
you arent saving any money at all. countless people on the internet have tried.

that being said, i do believe in having multiple vehicle. mileage just isnt a factor.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You guys are calculating your MPG all wrong.
You have to add the City and Highway numbers together to come up with the real numbers.
17 City+21 highway=38 MPG combined!
Bring those Hybrids on!

·
Premium Member
6,397 Posts
Less mileage on frontier but added ins for beater and more maintenance?
I bought my truck to drive not look at in the garage. It's a truck, not a sports car!
Car was $700 last may. I've put one oil change on it, a $15 valve cover gasket, 2 tires for $160 (only needed one, bought a pair) and a PS hose for $21. Extra insurance costs me $20 a month. Frontier gets 15 MPG, beater gets 30+mpg. Round trip to both jobs is 70 miles. If I drive the beater once a week, I break even on the insurance for the month. I've driven it 4-5 times a week most weeks. I've kept 9K miles off my Frontier. I'd say I at least broke even.

·
Registered
469 Posts
2002 Sentra is my mileage car. I've had it about 2 years and it's already paid for itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,670 Posts
you can get over 110mpg with a Honda Ruckus

You guys are calculating your MPG all wrong.
You have to add the City and Highway numbers together to come up with the real numbers.
17 City+21 highway=38 MPG combined!
Bring those Hybrids on!
No that comes out to 1,721MPG ::wink::

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
I could drive the Frontier everyday if I could get it smogged and it would make for a decent DD. I would have to install a stereo and it would be a pain getting my mom into a 5 point harness when she needs to go to the doctor.I could get it illegally smogged I guess but I bought the Ford Focus not because of mileage but convenience.
The Dodge got stuck in the underground parking at Kaiser. Had to remove part of my rack to get it unstuck. Not too good when I was trying to get to emergency

·
Registered
28 Posts
Gets Betty milage

My 05 supercharged Corvette making 574 HP to the wheels gets great milage. I think I'll drive it tomorrow.
Thanks Rayzzz My Nismo likes my money and my Corvette

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
My 05 supercharged Corvette making 574 HP to the wheels gets great milage. I think I'll drive it tomorrow.
Thanks Rayzzz My Nismo likes my money and my Corvette
Me, I will take horsepower over gas mileage all day long.

·
Registered
917 Posts
My solution was to move closer to work and ride my mountain bike. Ive put 17,300mi on my Frontier in two years, If anything I need to enjoy my truck more!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know this won't cash flow. The payment is $160 per month. I will probably save $50 per month in gasoline. The insurance will go up so I will be going in the hole on cash flow. In a few years when my Frontier is paid off and has only 30,000 miles on it I will be ahead of the game though.

I did not do this for purely financial reasons though. I wanted the car. It handles pretty well and is fairly fun to drive. I like to drive and I live close to the blue ridge parkway. Sometimes a car is just a better tool for certain jobs than a truck. Of course the opposite is often true as well.

One thing that is nice about the Altima is that it can go about 500 miles on a tank. The light on the dash comes on with the truck at about 250.

·
Premium Member
6,397 Posts
I know this won't cash flow. The payment is $160 per month. I will probably save $50 per month in gasoline. The insurance will go up so I will be going in the hole on cash flow. In a few years when my Frontier is paid off and has only 30,000 miles on it I will be ahead of the game though.

I did not do this for purely financial reasons though. I wanted the car. It handles pretty well and is fairly fun to drive. I like to drive and I live close to the blue ridge parkway. Sometimes a car is just a better tool for certain jobs than a truck. Of course the opposite is often true as well.

One thing that is nice about the Altima is that it can go about 500 miles on a tank. The light on the dash comes on with the truck at about 250.
Not to mention having a spare car comes in handy. Less stress when working on your truck since you don't need it running to get to work tomorrow. I've had my truck on jack stands since Friday afternoon doing the Titan swap and I'm not rushed to get it back together.

Also, I prefer to take my beater whenever I go shopping somewhere. Park it up front, give not a single care about door dings and shopping carts. Driving to and parking in the hood? Drive the beater to blend in. Meeting someone off CL to buy some car parts? Drive the beater to appear broke to help you negotiate a lower price.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It is coming in handy already. My wife's CRV is acting up so she is driving the Altima today and I am driving my truck. Before the third car this would have been a little harder to deal with.

My Altima is not quite what I would call a beater. It is a little nicer than that but still pretty cheap, especially compared to my truck.

·
Premium Member
6,397 Posts
Well, mine is a 225k mile 1998 Cavalier. So, beater.... lol.

In it's defense and 75% of why I bought it is I am close friends with it's previous owner and he is meticulous with maintenance and I also know the original owner, so I know the full history of the car. he even put all new brakes on it before he would let me take it. I doubt I would put such confidence in a $700 car off Craigslist.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You came out good on that car then. I would probably have done that as well if I had been in that situation. This one cost me $160 per month. I pay more than that for my cell phone plan....

·
Premium Member
6,397 Posts
I really couldn't pas sit up!

I've considered a lease on one of the econo box cars out there. Put a few bucks down, get a 24 month 15k a year lease, pay a little more on insurance, pay something under $200 a month, enjoy 40MPG and worry only about changing it's oil. By the time any wear items are worn, you would have turnt it in.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts