Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 2007 which is fast and peppy as soon as I tap the accelerator. I'm considering replacing it with a later model since it's suffering from old age. I'm given to understand that the power output is derated in later models of this truck to protect the drivetrain from shock/stress experienced in the older models.

Does anyone who knows about these things have information on how to defeat the derating? I honestly don't know if it's a transmission map or something else.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
It's not so much a derating, but below ~ 35 MPH or so, the engine's full output is held back a bit. Beyond that mark, engine output is equivalent to newer models. You're right, that it's there to protect the drivetrain.

(So that newbies understand, the reduction in power isn't a total buzzkill IMO. The truck still pulls strongly at lower speeds and it's a rather fun sensation to feel the extra boost come on line as the threshold is passed by.)

·
Registered
338 Posts
when I got my 2014 I wanted to get a throttle controller to dial down the power LOL. These unintended jack rabbit starts kill my mpg's. Not to mention aren't all that good for my neck either. I am coming from a 1.6 torque less economy car.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
I am pretty sure the 2007 has the low speed WOT restriction as well.
My truck is a 2007 and Nissan4Life is correct.Bullydog fixed it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts