Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a cover that will be completely waterproof. What are my options? What's the cheapest method? What will definitely work on long road trips? What can I easily remove to put a motorcycle in the back?

General info:
I need my bed for motorcycle transportation, but I'm also going on vacation and need a place to put luggage. I can't have my luggage destroyed by the elements so I need some type of protection. What do you guys do?

08 4x4 SE CC :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
I would say the bare bones cheapest method would be to pick up some good dry bags.

like these

this way even if your truck is completely submerged your luggage will remain dry :laugh:

·
Registered
146 Posts
I just ordered a Truxedo Truxport tonneau cover for mine. It is a soft rollup cover that leaves a clear bed when it it rolled up. It is supposed to be here this week, so I will let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have the Truxport from Truxedo. It is a nice cover and I like it a lot. I've never had a problem with wetness in the bed (wait, not like that...) I keep my Firefighter gear back there 24/7 and it does stay dry. If you are paranoid about it you would need to also plug the drain holes in your box and put in a tailgate seal (they come as a kit and can be purchased from anyplace that sells covers). There are holes in the front somewhere that would need to be plugged. Like I said though, I've never had a problem with just my cover.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
If I ever have to replace mine, I may go with the hard, four section, foldable tonneau, but I have been VERY pleased with my soft, roll-up tonneau... Tonneau & Tail Lights Never a drop of water in the bed.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I've got a Truxport too. Only time I have water is when I run it through the auto car wash. Other than that its good. I got mine for under $200 cause I bought it from a website that doesn't carry it anymore. Only problem with it is I've replaced the weatherstripping on the rear bar every winter but they are really good with their warranty stuff and have sent me one in like two days for free everytime. Good product and great customer service.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
I have this and it is 99% dry the only time I get anything wet is when I wash the tailgate and spray the top of the tailgate where the 2 meet.
No snaps and its been great for 3 years now.Rolls up against the cab to fit anything in the bed
Extang Tuff Tonno Truck Bed Cover

at truckaddon you get these free for 242.00
Erickson Telescoping Cargo Bar - FREE with purchase of a Tonneau Cover - Limit 1
Tailgate Seal - FREE with purchase of an Extang Tonneau Cover - Limit 1

Suspension Lift Kits, Tonneau Covers, Nerf Bars, Fender Flares, Truck Accessories
$232.10 shipped
with free tonic and seal

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have the Truxport from Truxedo. It is a nice cover and I like it a lot. I've never had a problem with wetness in the bed (wait, not like that...) I keep my Firefighter gear back there 24/7 and it does stay dry. If you are paranoid about it you would need to also plug the drain holes in your box and put in a tailgate seal (they come as a kit and can be purchased from anyplace that sells covers). There are holes in the front somewhere that would need to be plugged. Like I said though, I've never had a problem with just my cover.
X2, I too plugged the holes in the front of the bed and haven't have any water problems from the front. I haven't sealed the tailgate yet so just a little water gets there when its a heavy rain. Find some rubber weather strip to seal up any opening not covered by the frame of the Truxedo.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
My cover I got on ebay for a good deal. It never gets wet inside (as far as I know) unless I spray the hose in there to wash it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I have an Extang Express Tonno with the velcro sides and spring loaded closure with the built in cross bars. On about a month, with several heavy down pours, and still dry. I had to realign the closure clamps on one side, no big deal just 2 holes, now its perfect.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Undercover...imho. hard,tough,lockable,watertight and goes on/comes off in about 2min. only bad is it obviously doesnt fold, so if you know you're going to get something that needs a wide open bed take it off before you go get it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
ive noticed alot of the Undercover lids hang over the back past the tailgate. why is this? are all of the Undercover lids like this?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I have this and it is 99% dry the only time I get anything wet is when I wash the tailgate and spray the top of the tailgate where the 2 meet.
No snaps and its been great for 3 years now.Rolls up against the cab to fit anything in the bed
Extang Tuff Tonno Truck Bed Cover

at truckaddon you get these free for 242.00
Erickson Telescoping Cargo Bar - FREE with purchase of a Tonneau Cover - Limit 1
Tailgate Seal - FREE with purchase of an Extang Tonneau Cover - Limit 1

Suspension Lift Kits, Tonneau Covers, Nerf Bars, Fender Flares, Truck Accessories
$232.10 shipped
with free tonic and seal

The TuffTonno is a damn good cover. I had one on my 04 XE and loved it. The only thing I didn't like was it didn't roll up that easy, at least not as easy as mine now. I didn't like having to reattach the seal in the front every time I rolled it up, was a real pain in the winter. It is a really good cover though.

·
Registered
397 Posts
This is what I use
Lund Genesis Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover
I love it, cheap if you shop around, installs in about 10 minutes, including the the time it takes to install the weatherstripping at the front of the bed. And I can remove it in about 1 minute, 2 minutes if I'm really taking my time. There is no drilling, just 4 quick release cam levers that hold the cover on the bed. I rarely get any water in the bed, usually only after I hit the car wash or if I hit some major down pour. Even then it's only a little bit of water that seeps in.

Dan

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have the BakFlip G2. Its a tri-fold. Some ppl on here will tell you they had water seal issues, but I went and bought some extra weatherstripping to put at the front bed rail and haven't had a single issue (I get about 4-5 DROPS in the bed after I drive in a heavy rain).

I like it because its a "hard" cover that sits flush with the bed and can be "locked" as long as you have a locking tailgate. When folded up, it takes up about 4-6" of the front of the bed (and protects your rear window from whatever you are loading into it), but if you needed to take it off, it comes off in about 2 minutes. You are an 08 SE, so it its important that it wouldn't interfere with the Utili-trak either as long as you put the rail clamps on right.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have a $300 Extang BlackMax roll up, snap on tonneau cover and it keeps the bed bone dry, even in a touchless carwash with high pressure sprayers and a jet dryer and on roadtrips on the highway at 70 MPH in a driving rain.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
The TuffTonno is a damn good cover. I had one on my 04 XE and loved it. The only thing I didn't like was it didn't roll up that easy, at least not as easy as mine now. I didn't like having to reattach the seal in the front every time I rolled it up, was a real pain in the winter. It is a really good cover though.
not sure what seal your talking about my front is always attached even when I roll it up

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
ive noticed alot of the Undercover lids hang over the back past the tailgate. why is this? are all of the Undercover lids like this?
They all hang over the back. It helps protect the cargo from the elements. I have one and like it alot. Search Undercover and you'll find some threads and pics from those of us that have them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts