Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Black PRO-4X 6MT
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've grown tired of the power outlets (dash and console) in my 2019 being keyed ignition power only. Sometimes I want to sit and charge my phone or leave my phone charging for a bit while I lock the truck and do something else briefly. Can't do that if I have to flip the key to get power.

I’ve been digging through the 2016 service manual from NicoClub and found connector "M168” which is known as “accessory relay-2”. That relay is black. It was hard to find where it actually is in the truck but it’s the black one pictured. At first I thought it was maybe the blue but it turns out that one is the cargo lamp relay. If you flip the key to accessory you will feel the black relay kicking over as soon as it has ignition power. The relay socket is how the socket and relay are supported. Just slides onto a tab on that metal backing plate. Pull it off to gain access, then press the tab securing the relay and pull it off of the relay socket.

Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Gas Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

If you want constant battery power on your lower dash outlet, all you need to do is cut the red and yellow wires and splice them together. Disconnect the battery first so you don't short out the power and blow a fuse, or worse. You can leave the green and black wires in the plug or cut and repurpose them if you need a ground hookup (black) or a keyed 12V to trigger a relay for something else. The green is ignition 12V.

Hand Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper

I didn't snap any pics after I did the bypass myself but it's easy enough. I just spliced the red and yellow to each other and protected with adhesive heat shrink. Should never pose a problem for me ever.

Unfortunately the console outlet is ignition and will stay that way. From what I can tell it’s wired through the ignition switch and the IPDM, not a relay. So for that one there is nothing to jump. Same thing for an older truck with the the upper dash socket (USB port spot on later trucks). That one is tied to the same 40A circuit as the console outlet and can't be jumped to get constant power.

I personally am happy with just one constant battery power outlet. It would be extraordinarily rare that I need two outlets at once and if I do, at that point I'll either make do with the key or go without. This is good enough for me and I'm glad to at least have solved the problem for one outlet.

Hope this helps someone, I know I've seen people asking how to do this before.

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
14,692 Posts
Cool write-up. On my older model, that plug is constant hot from factory - or I would have done this a long time ago (but probably the one in the arm rest).

·
Premium Member
2019 Black PRO-4X 6MT
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool write-up. On my older model, that plug is constant hot from factory - or I would have done this a long time ago (but probably the one in the arm rest).
Thanks! Yeah for some reason the old trucks came with constant hot for a while, somewhere around 2012 or 2011 it changed and they went to all ignition. Pretty dumb. I’d like to rewire the console but I’m not going to bother since it’s not a simple relay I can jump like the one I did today.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I've grown tired of the power outlets (dash and console) in my 2019 being keyed ignition power only. Sometimes I want to sit and charge my phone or leave my phone charging for a bit while I lock the truck and do something else briefly. Can't do that if I have to flip the key to get power.

I’ve been digging through the 2016 service manual from NicoClub and found connector "M168” which is known as “accessory relay-2”. That relay is black. It was hard to find where it actually is in the truck but it’s the black one pictured. At first I thought it was maybe the blue but it turns out that one is the cargo lamp relay. If you flip the key to accessory you will feel the black relay kicking over as soon as it has ignition power. The relay socket is how the socket and relay are supported. Just slides onto a tab on that metal backing plate. Pull it off to gain access, then press the tab securing the relay and pull it off of the relay socket.

View attachment 339922

View attachment 339921

If you want constant battery power on your lower dash outlet, all you need to do is cut the red and yellow wires and splice them together. Disconnect the battery first so you don't short out the power and blow a fuse, or worse. You can leave the green and black wires in the plug or cut and repurpose them if you need a ground hookup (black) or a keyed 12V to trigger a relay for something else. The green is ignition 12V.

View attachment 339920

I didn't snap any pics after I did the bypass myself but it's easy enough. I just spliced the red and yellow to each other and protected with adhesive heat shrink. Should never pose a problem for me ever.

Unfortunately the console outlet is ignition and will stay that way. From what I can tell it’s wired through the ignition switch and the IPDM, not a relay. So for that one there is nothing to jump. Same thing for an older truck with the the upper dash socket (USB port spot on later trucks). That one is tied to the same 40A circuit as the console outlet and can't be jumped to get constant power.

I personally am happy with just one constant battery power outlet. It would be extraordinarily rare that I need two outlets at once and if I do, at that point I'll either make do with the key or go without. This is good enough for me and I'm glad to at least have solved the problem for one outlet.

Hope this helps someone, I know I've seen people asking how to do this before.
BLtheP, I click on your pic links and get this. Am I doing something wrong?
Car Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle Wheel

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2019 Black PRO-4X 6MT
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BLtheP, I click on your pic links and get this. Am I doing something wrong? View attachment 339932

Hmmm I’m not sure about that. It’s showing the pictures directly in the post for me. Is it not for you?

it doesn’t let me click on the pics at all. But it lets me see them in the post.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm on club Frontier at the moment looking for the posting. I'm not real computer savvy!! Lol!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found my problem! I use Tapatalk using my phone. The laptop takes 5 minutes to power up. Get on the CF website, problem solved! Thanks for the tip on powering the socket!!

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Thanks! Yeah for some reason the old trucks came with constant hot for a while, somewhere around 2012 or 2011 it changed and they went to all ignition. Pretty dumb. I’d like to rewire the console but I’m not going to bother since it’s not a simple relay I can jump like the one I did today.
I think too many people were killing their batteries with accessories plugged in for prolonged periods of time. Got to protect the careless.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts