Nissan Frontier Forum banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Most who Titan swap run wheel spacers in the stock rear axle anyway. Could just as easily get spacers to adapt 6/4.5 to 6/5.5.
I totally didn't think about that.

I've done more searching through the internets and when I used "Titan spindle swap" I got a lot of results. I guess I was using the wrong lingo. There are several people on The New X that have done the Titan spindle swap with their suspension swap. The Titan spindle, caliper, and rotor assembly just bolts up. No drama at all.

The reason I'm researching this is I'm doing the all-the-way Titan swap later this year. VK56, M205, suspension, brakes, the whole tamale. I actually found that I can buy a wrecked Titan through a local place cheaper than I can buy the pieces and parts. And then I'll have a bunch of Titan parts left over I can sell and recoup some cash.

Cheers all.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I take it, you want to use the stock Frontier struts rather than going to coilovers?
Are you lifted now? Spacers?
Do you want to use stock Titan arms?
Hard to tell without more info.
“Achieve the Titan swap stance and strength without looking for additional lift?”
I doubt it will remain the same as it is now. Plus with stock struts there is no way to adjust your ride height.
If you are planning on doing the same as your avatar, I would say no.
Also, I doubt running 33’s wore out you arms. Stock truck suspensions are not made for jumping.
Yes, that was the idea. Save the $1100 on coilovers and still get the tires to stick out and have stronger suspension components.

I love this post by the way, all it's missing is a section on rear matching lift!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for the thread. I’ve had it open on my phone for weeks. I have a couple things I’d like more information on if someone can share. 1, how important is the 3 rib on the 205. 2, I’ve heard a lot about “minor trimming”, does anyone have experience with “major trimming”. I’d like to eventually fit 35s with as little lift as possible.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Thanks for the thread. I’ve had it open on my phone for weeks. I have a couple things I’d like more information on if someone can share. 1, how important is the 3 rib on the 205. 2, I’ve heard a lot about “minor trimming”, does anyone have experience with “major trimming”. I’d like to eventually fit 35s with as little lift as possible.
A 3 rib is preferable if you have the choice over one vs the other but even the 2 rib versions are significantly stronger than the r180. I believe the 2 ribs also had some issues with a snap ring letting go internally and the axle stub coming out of the diff. I don't have any first hand experience with that though.

You can fit 35"s with 4" of lift and pretty major trimming on stock wheels. If you do glass fenders you might be able to get away with 3" of lift and little to no trimming. The front is where the problems are, the rear can clear 35s with only 2" or so and very minimal trimming.

·
Premium Member
5,152 Posts
Also, in my search, I found little to no difference in pricing between the 2 and 3 rib units so I went with a 3 rib. I trolled Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market until I found one (junk yard 2 hrs away). Also keep in mind ( I think I mentioned this earlier) that many of the earlier trucks that came with 2 rib differentials had them replaced with a 3 rib under warranty, so, look at the pictures of the listing closely and or request them from the seller. Also... don't forget the Armada's and QX56's also had M205s. The one I nabbed was a 3 rib out of an older QX56, so, again, it was probably a warranty repaired truck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anyone know where to find the proper high misalignment spacers for PRG UCAs with FK Bearing AIN16T spherical bearings? I've tried the FK 16-10HB bushings but the ID seems too large for the bolts and the 2nd bushing does not come with the flange that fits snugly into the top bolt receiving end of the knuckle!

I'm in the middle of a swap rebuild on my 2007 Frontier Nismo and these bushings are damn near the last thing holding me up from finishing it proper!

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Welp, I was skeptical about trying a cheap replacement, but when I shreaded my drivers side, I reached out to Dorman for more details. The tech gave me their entire list with the nearly the same specs, but longer.

Went with H610227. It's about 22" and the banjo end post turns 90 degrees in the Z direction. The connection to the hard line is a bit off though. The mount hole isn't large enough for the oversized end to fit flush. So getting the spring clip on the recessed ring was a no-go.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Like I said, turned it vertical. Used the wheel sensor mount on the spindle for this line.

And yes I'm the idiot that installed my (apparently asymmetric) stainless steel line incorrectly and tore my own boot.

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi, I ordered rugged rocks half shafts and have my axles built on that for the ttian swap. It's not mentioned here but apparently the QX80 half shafts fit perfect on Titan swaps where you keep the r180 in place. The QX80 apparently uses an r180 in 4wd vehicles but it has a Titan width frame. So the axles fit perfectly. They're $80 on Rock Auto.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I do remember someone here crawling under to see an r180 underneath the Armada / qx80..... I wonder if that's why prices from nisstec and ruggedrocks are sooooo much lower now. This may be worth investigating.

Another thought is how strong the r180 actually is considering Nissan is willing to pair it up stock on the vk56. That means the m205 could be/has been massive overkill.

·
Premium Member
5,152 Posts
I do remember someone here crawling under to see an r180 underneath the Armada / qx80..... I wonder if that's why prices from nisstec and ruggedrocks are sooooo much lower now. This may be worth investigating.

Another thought is how strong the r180 actually is considering Nissan is willing to pair it up stock on the vk56. That means the m205 could be/has been massive overkill.
Overkill for most of the SUV's never going off road and their 4wd usage is on snow covered roads about 3 times a year.....

·
Registered
66 Posts
The Patrol has been this Y62 platform since 2010 and compared to other markets, we (Americans) do waaaaay less non-pavememt driving.

I would debate whether the American usage is less strenuous than everywhere else.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yeah I didn't mean to suggest the r180 is strong enough for some of the extreme off-roading people here do. The m205 is definitely stronger. Just that the QX80 half axles are a cheap way to keep 4x4

·
Registered
174 Posts
I didn't realize it was possible to use stock Titan tie rods.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts