Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may have been asked before, but my search didn't really turn up what I wanted.

The Tacoma manual states that once a month the 4x4 should be engaged and driven 10 miles for lubrication, etc. I did not find anything in the Nissan manual. Does Nissan recommend something similar to what Toyota does?

I use my 4x4 system mostly during the winter when we have a little snow. I would say I go about 3-4 months between engaging the 4x4 system. I don't drive much. I mainly have the 4x4 for the few times I get caught in the summer during fishing trips on a dirt road and hard rains. Some of the roads can get pretty slick. The majority of the miles is highway. The 4x4 is for security for me. When I need it I need it.

Side note. Really like the Frontier. The more I drive it, the more I am impressed with the truck.

·
Premium Member
12,049 Posts
i dont know how the taco systems are set up.
the frontier system is all live all the time with a single servo control box doing all the work at the transfercase.

while you are driving, everything is moving no matter if you are in 2wd or 4wd

·
Registered
5,984 Posts
I think this means that you need to go camping, fishing, 4 wheeling, at least once a month! Not just good for the truck but good for you.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Systems must be different then. Andyslog, thanks for the explanation. This is my first Nissan in over 20 years. Just want to take of it.

N4Life: I think I will pass that advice on to my wife. I agree, time to go do more fishing. Besides I am retired. Everyday is a Saturday.

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
13,356 Posts
I think this means that you need to go camping, fishing, 4 wheeling, at least once a month! Not just good for the truck but good for you.
Though Andy has the right technical answer, Nissan4Life has the better logic on this one. :laugh:

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Though Andy has the right technical answer, Nissan4Life has the better logic on this one. :laugh:
I agree. Will definitely take it under advisement.

I know it was a pretty basic question. Since I tend to keep my truck 8-10 years, just want to do right by it.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I would say its good to cycle the t-case servo once in awhile. The ol toyotas had grease-able spindles and a f. diff/stub axle that was totally divorced if the hubs were unlocked. I made good money servicing those spindles n hubs!! Paid 2.5 hrs and I could slam one out in a .5 hr..
I'm at 4 1/4 wonderful years and shooting for ten in my Fronty. Still so pleased with it. Its easy to enjoy when its enjoyed with others!! Thanks Club Frontier!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
YAP! Time to lock that rear diff and get dirty!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts