Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much offroading can you really do in a 2wd? I've got an 03 v6 Frontier 2wd, how much can I do in it? Also are there any modifications I can do to help or is it basically a lost cause?

·
Registered
297 Posts
There are tons of threads just like this.. but anyway, the best advice I can give you is to know your trucks limits and what you're capable of.

Other than that all you can really do is add some lift, get some nice offroad tires, and a rear locker. And some recovery gear would probably be a good idea.

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
were do you live. 2wd your really limited to the types of trails you can run sure you can run light trails and such and dunes, but when it gets to more rocks you really need to be able to spin the front wheels.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Generally speaking- you need 4WD in deep mud, steep hills with soft/loose gravel, rocks etc.

Knowing your trucks helps also, if I'm about to go up a really steep hill that has powdery sand- I know to punch the gas before hand so I wont need the traction when I'm there. Other wise I will just spin lol

·
Registered
578 Posts
if i was in the mountains like you are i wouldn't try too much in a 2wd its just too rocky and steep

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
i wheeled the piss out of my stock frontier for a few years.

·
Registered
53 Posts
well I got a stock '06 nismo 2wd and i am able to just about anything without getting stuck. I've done some mudding up to my doors, puddles up to my doors, trails, hills, and the truck handles with ease

·
Registered
53 Posts
well I got a stock '06 nismo 2wd and i am able to just about anything without getting stuck. I've done some mudding up to my doors, puddles up to my doors, trails, hills, and the truck handles with ease.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I used to have a 2WD 96 Ranger and i had a ton of fun in it, lots of water and mud, not so much on rocks. In my experience the key to mud in a 2WD is lots of speed.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
My Desert Runner usually pulls everyone else out, of course I have good tires. I do mostly mud,clay and hills. sometimes a mixture of the 3. One thing I have learned though, always give it a good bit of gas.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You can make it down pretty much any trail with 2wd, decent tires, and a rear locker. The problem comes when you have to go over obstacles that require slower precision instead of speed (like crawling) or deep mud/super slick situations where you can't get a lot of speed. At that point 2wd is a no go. Momentum will be your best friend. Also, NEVER get yourself in a situation where you have to reverse uphill to get out.

·
Registered
336 Posts
HAHA, they were being sarcastic. But like everyone else says, minor lift, good tires, and know your truck. Thats all it really takes. I wheel my 2wd open rear diff all the time, mud, trails, fire roads all kinds of good stuff.
Excellent! I plan on taking mine to places it's not supposed to go, too!

I just gotta get a few things done to it first!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts