Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I am over due for my 30,000 mile service so I stoped by my dealer to see how much it was going to cost me...they told me $700 and I told them no. :thatswck: Then they asked if I had an auto or a man, I told them the 6-speed and they knocked off about $250. I still told them no. They then gave me a list of what they do, and after I scrached off all of the stuff I don't need they quoted me $300. Sooooo, is this a good price for a trany flush, front and rear diff flush, and coolent flush?

Thanks for you input!

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
honestly if i were you,i'd do all that myself if its all u need. they are all very easy fluids to change, especially the diffs

i'd think u would spend less than half that final quote in fluids, so its really just your time. that price is about right, my dealership was around 650 i believe

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do the diffs have drain and fill holes or do you have to remove the covers?

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
drain and fill holes. front diff, use a 10mm hex socket for both. rear, 10 mm hex on the fill, drain is a bit larger but i forget. t-case i believe is 10 mm hex for both as well. Shinermiller has write-ups on all these fluid changes in the DIY section.

IMO they are stupid easy

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are the t-case and trans linked together? Draining one drains the other?

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Are the t-case and trans linked together? Draining one drains the other?
No.

I had to shoot oil into my Front differential and Transmission. The T-case and Rear differential, i had gravity on my side. Although, it is possible to pour oil into the Front differential if you have a tube long enough to reach into the differential hole. The Transmission fluid can be replaced at a local shop. I got my Transmission fluid replaced for $35.00. < LABOR COST

·
Registered
2,132 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I got a local shop here that charges about 1/3 to 1/4th less than the dealer wants. I just get what ever parts/fluids I want and have them install/change it.

As long as you have records that you got stuff done your warranty can not be voided.(I am 99% sure of that, Nissan can be a ***** with the warranty)

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
30k just says inspect the fluids anyway, unless you're following the high end service schedule.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah they told me that with the frontiers they change all the fluids at 30k, 60k, 90k.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I waited until 38K (time issues) and had the engine, auto tranny, transfer case and diffs done at a local speedy oil change place. All with synthetic fluids for 275.00, I think the transfer case was a blend, but I'm sure you could do it for at least half on your own.

If you have a BJ's near you, sometimes they have Mobile1 discounts. I got 2 cases (6qts each) for 24.99 each, 2 cases was the max allowed, but it was for 2 oil changes and the shop charges 68.00.

For the price of one oil change, I got 2 oil filters and 2 cases of oil, so if you do the work for all of the fluids, your savings will be considerable.

Depending on how you drive that might be overkill.
The flip side to that is that its a cheap thing you can do your self to stay better safe than sorry.
Pop only changed his oil on his '01 Fronty till almost 80K. After I found out I called his mechanic and made sure he got to all the fluids on the next visit. He had to clean the gue out of the diffs and said the tranny and transfer case fluids were black and smelled awful.

Your probably correct about overkill with 30-60-90, but I would definitely start no later than 50K on the tranny, transfer case and diffs. I did mine at 38K and will do it again at about 80K. If you use your truck hard with work, traffic conditions or wheeling, oil is cheap compared to new parts.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys, I think I will do it this time just to get the break in crap out. Then I will let it go longer. Plus I bought it used, so you never quite know how it was driven before you got it.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I know that what I'm about to say is going to piss somebody off and they will call me an idiot, but I will say it anyway because it's true. Changing your diff. fluid at 30k is a waste of time and money. I just changed mine at 65k and I feel like I should have waited longer. I ran my f150 to 385k and the diff. fluid was changed twice. It's not like oil that needs to be done all the time.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I know that what I'm about to say is going to piss somebody off and they will call me an idiot, but I will say it anyway because it's true. Changing your diff. fluid at 30k is a waste of time and money. I just changed mine at 65k and I feel like I should have waited longer. I ran my f150 to 385k and the diff. fluid was changed twice. It's not like oil that needs to be done all the time.
Everyone's experiences are different, and no opinion should be disregarded. I did the diff fluid on my '97 Tacoma at about 100K, it didn't pour out clean, it had clumps in it, and it was black and burnt. Using that as my guide, it seems safe to me that at around 50K its reasonable to change the fluid. My manual tranny (beat to hell) was done at 80K and wasn't horrible, but again fliuds are cheap compared to parts. I never changed the tranny fluid in my '86 Mitsubishi Mighty Max and that got new bearings in it at 90K. It was my first truck as a kid, beat to hell and then some, live and learn....back in'93 it cost 900.00$ Again, fluids are cheaper than parts. Some people are ok with running longer than others, nobody is wrong, its a preference thing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts