• Total voters
1 - 20 of 332 Posts

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A motorycyle if you could afford one?

I know i would...YES

Please back up your vote? What is your reason?

I just don't have the money to spend on a bike i want...and insurance would be too high for my age.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I voted no, and I can afford one if I wanted. Heres my logic.
A dirtbike yes.
A street bike or cruiser for road riding? Not a chance.
I don't trust cars and have several friends that have had cars pull out and hit them. At least if I bail in a field or on a track on a dirt bike its my fault and not the fault of someone who doesn't pay attention. I like to control my fate as much as possible.
My 2 cents.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Haha; I'm backing my vote... (a "no thanks")

I just don't like them. I wish I did... you would think I would, I have two horses... but I don't know. They make me feel exposed and unsafe. Although for mileage, between a motorcycle and a SmartCar, I would probably just learn to ride the dang bike.

Also, I pretty much agree with bungyfish... too many idiots on the road, not watching where they're going or what's around them.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just bought one a couple months ago, payments on it is a week and half of gas.. plus I now have BMW key on my ring..

Wow....actually...if i do land a good job in nor cal...and i have some extra cash to spend...im really thinkin' about getting a cheap kawasaki motorbike...like the 250cc...but still 3-4 grand on a cheap bike thats slower than my truck...but gets 2x better gas mileage or more...

For those who said no thanks...i hear yah..i've seen it happen and some motorcycle owners don't like the idea of being squashed...so some bikers come up behind traffic near the outer edges...dividing lines or sidewalks...which is a good idea...

Ninja® 250R

·
Premium Member
2,713 Posts
I am actually looking for an enduro right now, that way I get the best of both worlds. I just haven't found the one I want for the price I want yet. I am looking mainly at the KTM and Honda 650's. I spend about 280$ + a month on gas just commuting. So the way I see it the bike will pretty much pay for itself. Being I live in San Diego I can ride it about 360 days a year.

My only concerns are the other drivers, so for commuting I plan on avoiding the highway as much as possible, or staying in the slow lanes when I can.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
No, thank you. I just don't have the balance to ride one of those. I consider myself lucky to ride my mountain bike without killing myself, lol. Now if they ever make 4 wheelers street legal, sign me up!

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, thank you. I just don't have the balance to ride one of those. I consider myself lucky to ride my mountain bike without killing myself, lol. Now if they ever make 4 wheelers street legal, sign me up!

Oh hell yeah! 4 wheelers or quads would be awsome!!!! Seriously..if they do make the legal...omg, there would be so many on the roads...

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
Oh hell yeah! 4 wheelers or quads would be awsome!!!! Seriously..if they do make the legal...omg, there would be so many on the roads...

I was just talking to a firend the other day on why they don't make them legal iN Idaho youw ould see them all the time they would put lights and stuff on them and they were good to go, but why not make a 4wheeler that is more like a sport bike.

also have you seen Can-Ams trike.. BRP Can-Am Spyder Roadster

·
Registered
56 Posts
I already have one and I can't get enough of them. Here's a pic of my ride. 2006 CBR 600RR.

I encounter dumb idiots everyday. When you ride for awhile you can almost spot these people before you ever get close to them. Ya know, tha type that are driving down the road on their cell phones, or putting on lipstick with just their elbow on the wheel. It all comes down to being a defensive driver, and always being on your toes.

There's no possible way to avoid them. They're everywhere, but if you always stay alert you can usually get yourself out of a situation. Especially with the type bike I have. Nothing like the feeling of that motor revving to 15,000 RPMs. Dang, I wanna go ride now!

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have a dirt bike already (93 Honda XR250L), It used to be street legal but I took the signals and stuff off then put a CR500 front fork and rear shock on it with some knobby tires and know it stays offroad.

I just dont trust other drivers enough to ride on the street anymore.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
are you going to buy new? used? are you financing? it all depends on these things...you,re not really saving if you buy new and finance...you got to factor in monthly payment, gas, maintenance (and lots of maintenance for bikes), insurance for the bike which would probably eat up your wallet even more...(this is if your reasons are high gas prices)....or are you getting rid of the truck?

·
Registered
648 Posts
:hick:
I am actually looking for an enduro right now, that way I get the best of both worlds. I just haven't found the one I want for the price I want yet. I am looking mainly at the KTM and Honda 650's. I spend about 280$ + a month on gas just commuting. So the way I see it the bike will pretty much pay for itself. Being I live in San Diego I can ride it about 360 days a year.

My only concerns are the other drivers, so for commuting I plan on avoiding the highway as much as possible, or staying in the slow lanes when I can.

FYI Pearl - I have 3 friends who have crashed in the last year and all were in city traffic w/ speed limits under 50. 2 had people pull out in front them (1 layed it down, the other never saw it coming) and the 3rd avoided a dude pulling out and went to the right only to rear end a car slowing down to turn, but he was probably going to fast.
Although the highway is faster speeds there is less going on you have more control over the flow. Just my thoughts. I have ridden everything from quads and dirts to street bikes and Harleys. I just prefer to control my crashes.. haha.

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
are you going to buy new? used? are you financing? it all depends on these things...you,re not really saving if you buy new and finance...you got to factor in monthly payment, gas, maintenance (and lots of maintenance for bikes), insurance for the bike which would probably eat up your wallet even more...(this is if your reasons are high gas prices)....or are you getting rid of the truck?

This how I looked at it when I bought mine, I'm spending $100 a week on gas, now it's up to about $125 a week, The BMW cost more but better gas millage they clame 75 mpg, went on thumper talk people were reporting 65 mpg as ther avrage when trail riding, I got Financed at %1.8 I'm paying 400 in iterest over 5 years, and my monthly payment is $225 and my insurance is is $50 a month. plus they made my first 5 payments. that $225, a month pays for bike, rideing gear, GPS, lugage racks, and getting my Bike regeared.

NorCal is also a lot more Bike friendly then SoCal.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Been on one form or another of motorcycle since I was 7 years old so I'm a bit biased towards riding.
The only things I have to say are:
Everyone of these folks who warn about other drivers, listen to them. You will see them more so once on two wheels.
Ride within your limits. You will quickly know what you are comfortable with and what you are not. If you want to push your limits, do it at a riding school and not your local roads.
Gear, I cant preach enough about protective gear. Yeah the good stuff is expensive, thats just the facts of life, but is it more expensive than your life?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I love mine....06 Roadstar Warrior.

Been on one form or another of motorcycle since I was 7 years old so I'm a bit biased towards riding.
The only things I have to say are:
Everyone of these folks who warn about other drivers, listen to them. You will see them more so once on two wheels.
Ride within your limits. You will quickly know what you are comfortable with and what you are not. If you want to push your limits, do it at a riding school and not your local roads.
Gear, I cant preach enough about protective gear. Yeah the good stuff is expensive, thats just the facts of life, but is it more expensive than your life?

Man I hear that....Can't tell you haow many guys I know who buy the cheapest helmets. I'm like..."Are you kidding me!" I paid over 3 bills for my Shark, but I know it's gonna do the job when and if the time comes.

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
Man I hear that....Can't tell you haow many guys I know who buy the cheapest helmets. I'm like..."Are you kidding me!" I paid over 3 bills for my Shark, but I know it's gonna do the job when and if the time comes.
Yeah I went for the best helmet i could get, it was nice I got %15 off everything I bought witht he bike, and all there revtech gear was on close out so another 50% on that.

when I go down I want to be fully armorded up.. I never understood the I'm wareing shorts and a t-shirt to ride.. plus you just look cool wiht all the gear.. even my fat *** looks good.

1 - 20 of 332 Posts