Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a quick topper question.

I found an auto body shop that gave me a decent quote to have my topper painted. He said that he can do it for between $400-$450. I plan to go ahead and do it. The other places I went to, people wanted $1000-1200! I'm sick of looking at the white and I think it's worth the money.

This auto body shop got very good reviews on Yelp and google.

So here is my question. This guy claimed that he can have my topper painted and ready for pick up in 24 hours. Does this sound correct? I was under the impression there was a lot of labor involved with removing components, sanding, and putting on a clear coat first. Does it sound like they are cutting corners and giving me a crap paint job?

·
Registered
520 Posts
I painted mine in a day. Wash, scotch brite, wash, dry, mask, brake clean wipe down, 3 coats color(no clear for me), de-mask & let it be for 2 weeks. I started at 6 am and was done around 2pm. Paint has no issues 2yrs later. Price seem fair to me, $150 in materials + 300 labor. As to Quality, who knows???????????? I paid $350 for my topper used, there was no way I was paying double to have it painted fleet white.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree, it does seem crazy to pay more to paint it than I paid for it. I basically stole mine. $250 and it came with brand new clamps. There is a sticker in the back that says it was made in 2014. Came with two Yakima bars as well. Nevertheless, I really don't have the resources to paint it myself. I'm really sick of looking at the two tone.

I sold a ton of garbage items on Ebay so I'm not too worried about the money. It was mostly stuff I would have given away and I got hundreds of dollars for it.

When you say you demasked it and let it be for two weeks, what does that mean exactly? Do I have to let it sit in the garage for two weeks before using it? I know nothing about painting.

·
Premium Member
5,762 Posts
For the price quoted, you aren't going to be getting a show car paint job. But, it should be presentable for a daily driver. For the price, he is probably going to be taping around things more than removing them. He will then probably put it under his heat lamps for a bit to cure the paint.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For the price quoted, you aren't going to be getting a show car paint job. But, it should be presentable for a daily driver. For the price, he is probably going to be taping around things more than removing them. He will then probably put it under his heat lamps for a bit to cure the paint.
I'm not looking for show car quality, it's just a topper. However, I do want the paint to match perfectly. As long as the color is really close and the paint doesn't chip or fade quickly, I will be a happy customer.

Btw, what is the purpose of the clear coat? Would it be worth requesting that they do that?

·
Registered
520 Posts
De-mask = removing tape & paper masking around trim and glass. I let it sit two week for the paint to cure. I painted it in my garage, no booths or heat lamps. The clear protects the base coat and contains the "shine" where the single stage I used has the shine in the color. I would have gone with clear if I had it at the time but I had the single stage reducer/hardener from another project. I would assume that any modern shop is applying base/clear but never hurts to ask.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
De-mask = removing tape & paper masking around trim and glass. I let it sit two week for the paint to cure. I painted it in my garage, no booths or heat lamps. The clear protects the base coat and contains the "shine" where the single stage I used has the shine in the color. I would have gone with clear if I had it at the time but I had the single stage reducer/hardener from another project. I would assume that any modern shop is applying base/clear but never hurts to ask.
Thanks. I will ask about the clear coat. I think I'm going to try and get the ball rolling on this today.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I dropped off the shell to get painted. Got it back this evening. Looks pretty good. Paint match is exact. Overall it looks even. There are a few little spots that you can see the bare fiberglass. Mainly around the windows. They definitely taped them over. I'm really happy with the job. I plan to get a little touch up paint and cover those spots.

Question: it's currently raining out. There were a few spots they were touching it up as I put the clamps back on. Should I be concerned about the rain? I have a garage but it's filled with crap. I'd have to clear it out to get my truck in there. Does it make sense to keep the shell out of the rain for a while?

I'll post a picture of the top tomorrow.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wouldn't worry. It's a catalyzed paint, so it dries by chemical process not so much air drying.
Thanks. I'll just leave it be. Been a long day. Didn't feel like cleaning out the garage too.

I'll post up before and after pics tomorrow. Now I need to work on doing a suspension upgrade.

·
Registered
397 Posts
...toppers aren't my thing but the paint looks good, enjoy it!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
...toppers aren't my thing but the paint looks good, enjoy it!
Thanks. I agree, the paint looks good. I wasn't expecting it to match that well.

I still feel like my truck needs some more work though. I want to lift it up a bit. Upgrade a few more things.

·
Registered
397 Posts
...my next thing is an LED tailgate lite, then LED stock replacement bulbs all around while saving for a full setup of armor and a heavy duty suspension to support the armor and give it ~1.5 - 2" of lift.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
...my next thing is an LED tailgate lite, then LED stock replacement bulbs all around while saving for a full setup of armor and a heavy duty suspension to support the armor and give it ~1.5 - 2" of lift.
I've been reading a bit on here the last few days. I think I'm going to get the Bilstein 5100 shocks and do my lift that way. Probably upgrade the wheels and tires to something a little bigger.

The LED lights sound interesting. Do you have any links or pictures?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Diode Dynamics

I'm starting my research with DD, they are a site sponsor here...the bulbs are supposed to be plug and play and that is part of the truck I think I want to keep stock for now.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Looks Great. Now lets get that lift going! NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks Great. Now lets get that lift going! NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks. I'm doing some reading on the shocks. How do you like your 5100s? I'm going to try and get it done before I head down south but I have a lot going on. Might have to do it when I get back.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts