Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2000 3.3l V6 with 4x4 and the extended cab. How large of a boat can it tow, I know the tow compacity is 4000lbs but that doesn't really take into account having to pull a boat out of the water and the extra weight that adds. Anybody got any experience to share?

·
Registered
151 Posts
It matters more about the weight than size of the boat. For yours, total weight I would tow might be around 3k. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
314 Posts
You also have to take in consideration that the 4000lbs that the truck can tow is for highway speed. Throw it in 4low if you want to be sure that you can take it out of the water. Afther that, it is a matter of traction on the ramp.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I've towed a 3500lb Maxima on a 1000lb trailer 45 miles. It handled it fine and i could travel at 60mph with OD on in 4th gear as well. I wouldn't reccomend it on a regular basis tho.

I've also towed a 2400lb Hyundai Accent on a tow dolly about 250 miles with ease. I was pulling it at around 75mph and the truck didn't even break a sweat.

As said earlier, Throw that bad boy in 4Lo and you'll have all the torque and traction you need. I pulled a Dodge Ram up on some pretty tall ramps. I put it in 4Lo and felt like i was pulling absolutely nothing. The rear end barely even sank down.

·
Registered
987 Posts
IHow large of a boat can it tow, I know the tow compacity is 4000lbs but that doesn't really take into account having to pull a boat out of the water and the extra weight that adds.
Unless your boat is full of water, there is no addition weight pulling it out of the water. Traction on a slimey boat ramp is your biggest concern.

·
Registered
987 Posts
You also have to take in consideration that the 4000lbs that the truck can tow is for highway speed.
Not so. The towing capacity is whatever it is for your model. All frontiers are different depending on drive train and body.
Doesn't matter if you're driving the highway or the backroads to the local boat ramp.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Not so. The towing capacity is whatever it is for your model. All frontiers are different depending on drive train and body.
Doesn't matter if you're driving the highway or the backroads to the local boat ramp.
Yes and no,

You should not tow more than what it is rated for. Can it do more? yes, at VERY low speed, you may be able to move a 10000lbs camper with it. I seen some guys back up a camper with an ATV once. It was not rated for it but could do it.

What I am saying is, on road, stay within 4000lbs, off road in 4low, you may be able to tow way more.

·
Registered
127 Posts
As others stated, you'll probably be fine pulling at that weight, but the traction at the ramp or sand is what I'd be worried about. I've seen Chevy Silverado 2500 not able to pull a John boat out of the ramp, simply because of slime on the ramp. The same truck also pulled a bass boat probanly 2x to 3x heavier with no problem. Only factor was the traction.
So just check on the ramp first, and you shouldn't have an issue. Because towing wise, these trucks do a pretty good for their size.

Sent from my toaster using Tapatalk

Reactions: Pacer6 and Spyke438

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've towed a 3500lb Maxima on a 1000lb trailer 45 miles. It handled it fine and i could travel at 60mph with OD on in 4th gear as well. I wouldn't reccomend it on a regular basis tho.

I've also towed a 2400lb Hyundai Accent on a tow dolly about 250 miles with ease. I was pulling it at around 75mph and the truck didn't even break a sweat.

As said earlier, Throw that bad boy in 4Lo and you'll have all the torque and traction you need. I pulled a Dodge Ram up on some pretty tall ramps. I put it in 4Lo and felt like i was pulling absolutely nothing. The rear end barely even sank down.
It makes you wonder what people expect!

·
Registered
2017 SV CC LWB 4x4 auto
180 Posts

Towed this, little better than 3k with fuel, to Lake Winnipesaukee from my house at least 3 times a summer with my '99 Pathfinder 3.3. Did 55-65 the whole way, got about 10 mpg. Frontier does the pulling now.

Reactions: TxDayTrader
1 - 14 of 14 Posts