Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how hard is it to install a factory tow hitch and wiring harness? i tried searching, all i found was a tow receiver install but nothing mention about the wiring harness.

i'm picking up the receiver and harness this week, but i wonder how hard is it to install?

anyone has a step by step? especially the wiring and the relays? i was thinking of just getting the eckhardt kit but... i think the oem is ok too and cheaper.

anyone? help!

·
Banned
410 Posts
well the hitch is easy all bolt on. just a bit heavy and awkward. ive ways found it easy to get like a jack and kinda hold the hitch up with the jack. just makes things easier. as for the wiring, ive never had to wire one of those, but i cant see it being that hard.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hey I thought the Subaru was never touching a dirt road???

just giving you a hard time,
I told you you cant stay away.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I just installed my hitch and wiring last week. I have never done a hitch install it took me probably 20 mins to bolt on and install the 4 pin harness (which just clips into the wires at the back of the truck) I also had to install another wire at the front passenger side of the truck in the cabin (I can't think of what is called to save my life right now) so it is a very easy install

·
Registered
204 Posts
Good to hear it is easy to wire up, I plan to install one of these in the coming weeks.

Will

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, when i install mine, i'll take plenty of pics and do a step by step write up. hopefully this week.

·
Registered
320 Posts
dennisuello said:
Look underneath your truck, the harness just plugs in on the left side of the frame.
left side = drivers side ;)

just so there isnt any confusion.

clip it in and run it through the frame, drop it out near the bumper and bolt it up to the hitch :)

or plug it in and let it hang

which ever you prefer :p

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kelly said:
dennisuello said:
Look underneath your truck, the harness just plugs in on the left side of the frame.

clip it in and run it through the frame, drop it out near the bumper and bolt it up to the hitch :)

what about the relays??

·
Registered
261 Posts
right_on said:
Kelly said:
dennisuello said:

what about the relays??

Passenger side inside the cabin

·
Registered
320 Posts
dennisuello said:
Kelly said:
not in UK or Australia :wink:
haha ,
good come back..

my05--
they are under the pass kick panel.
you have to take the botom kick plate off first,
then remove the kick panel (or atleast move itout of the way)

you should see a grouping of relays down in there,
from what i remeber right the relays can only go in one way :)

good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
I plan on installing a hitch and wiring harness too. I was wondering what brands you guys recc and where to purchase them at? Thanks for any replies!

Joe

·
Registered
320 Posts
i got a hidden hitch from hitchmart.com :)

i think it was ~$130 shipped to CO, probably alittle more to HI ;)

isntall was a breeze.

i honestly did it myself in garage with hand tools.

·
Registered
23 Posts
removing dummy plug for gray inline connector ?

Did anyone that installed the 4 pin wiring harness have trouble getting this dummy plug out? OK, I think I'm the dummy plug in this scenario...

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: removing dummy plug for gray inline connector ?

noahinBR said:
Did anyone that installed the 4 pin wiring harness have trouble getting this dummy plug out? OK, I think I'm the dummy plug in this scenario...
On the dummy plug (in about the middle of your picture) you'll see a square, ribbed, plastic pad. Push that pad in with the blade of a screwdriver and the plug will come out. Don't try to insert the screwdriver head and pry out the plug.

Good Luck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts