Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey yall i was wondering how far we can turn in our trucks. as in if i brought my truck to the track at what point will it cease to turn and start to roll.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Pretty hard! That is in the dirt of course.
Spring under , The
lower cg helps a lot! 1492ED1A-6B3F-453B-8332-A08432DC4E9A.jpeg

·
Registered
720 Posts
hey yall i was wondering how far we can turn in our trucks. as in if i brought my truck to the track at what point will it cease to turn and start to roll.
That depends on so, so, so many factors. You'll have to do it and get a feel for it.

First thing I'd do is upgrade your brakes, and stiffen the chassis. Then suspension.
More time will be made up by being able to brake harder and later into the corner, and being able to get on the gas sooner than just about anywhere else.

Without serious money and fabrication, these trucks are never going to really burn up a track.

Reactions: whistler

·
Premium Member
5,621 Posts
That depends on so, so, so many factors. You'll have to do it and get a feel for it.

First thing I'd do is upgrade your brakes, and stiffen the chassis. Then suspension.
More time will be made up by being able to brake harder and later into the corner, and being able to get on the gas sooner than just about anywhere else.

Without serious money and fabrication, these trucks are never going to really burn up a track.
I'm convinced my truck handles more reliably when I have the sliders bolted on.

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
Putting a 175-200 lb topper on drastically changed my handling...but it is a necessity for security as evil as it is.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
One thing we noticed the last NORRA race. Running in four wheel drive it improved handling , especially in the tight , twisty sections.
It kept the rear not wanting to come around.
Ran it pretty much full time in four wheel drive.

·
Registered
802 Posts
There's a guy on here that's a road race track official somewhere down under(?).

Mine is a slightly lowered 2WD with Rancho RS9000XL adjustables, drop spindles, rear sway bar, comfort shackles & PRG billet front frame mounts & end links waiting to go in. I've surprised a few people trying to keep up with me on off-ramps. It just doesn't compute a truck can handle decently in the twisties.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Rear Sway Bar helped mine a lot and now that it's lowered, it feels more connected to the road.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Rear sway bar setup...on my 2019. Old pic..it's now lowered with flip kit spring under. 1 1/2" AAL and OEM shackles again.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I'm sure they turn somewhere near as good as a ford tarus or chev Impala or any similarly weighted 4500# vehicle with poor weight distribution.But there's always some kid convinced his will keep up with a vette........lol

·
Registered
526 Posts
The trick to taking corners is that you want to rip on the E-brake just as you begin turn-in...drop 2 gears just as the tires begin to screech. Then drop the E-brake, mash the gas, sidestep the clutch and countersteer simultaneously as you stylishly proceed through the corner...extra points if done with one-handed devil horns out the window. Have a friend stand on the apex of the corner to record...then upload here. Then find another corner and repeat. 🍻

Reactions: lmat

·
Premium Member
5,621 Posts
I'm sure they turn somewhere near as good as a ford tarus or chev Impala or any similarly weighted 4500# vehicle with poor weight distribution.But there's always some kid convinced his will keep up with a vette........lol
I've hung on the back bumpers of a few "sporty" automobiles on cloverleafs over the years in various **** boxes. Much of it comes down to proper technique and a little skill.

·
Premium Member
5,621 Posts
The trick to taking corners is that you want to rip on the E-brake just as you begin turn-in...drop 2 gears just as the tires begin to screech. Then drop the E-brake, mash the gas, sidestep the clutch and countersteer simultaneously as you stylishly proceed through the corner...extra points if done with one-handed devil horns out the window. Have a friend stand on the apex of the corner to record...then upload here. Then find another corner and repeat. 🍻
My old Cutlass supreme with a 6-71 blower and not enough tire was great for this.... No need for E brake, just steer with the throttle as you came around the cloverleaf.....and yes, devil horns when possible....

·
Registered
554 Posts
There's a guy on here that's a road race track official somewhere down under(?).

Mine is a slightly lowered 2WD with Rancho RS9000XL adjustables, drop spindles, rear sway bar, comfort shackles & PRG billet front frame mounts & end links waiting to go in. I've surprised a few people trying to keep up with me on off-ramps. It just doesn't compute a truck can handle decently in the twisties.

View attachment 316151
I'm normally not a fan of lowered trucks, but that looks great! It looks like it could be an OEM package; super clean looking. The wheels and tires tie it together to say "sport truck package" and not "lowered truck". Akin to how the '99-'04 Ford F-150 SVT Lightning had a 1"/2" F/R drop and larger wheels/wider tires compared to a regular 4x2 F-150.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I'm normally not a fan of lowered trucks, but that looks great! It looks like it could be an OEM package; super clean looking. The wheels and tires tie it together to say "sport truck package" and not "lowered truck". Akin to how the '99-'04 Ford F-150 SVT Lightning had a 1"/2" F/R drop and larger wheels/wider tires compared to a regular 4x2 F-150.
Thanks man! I like to see the puzzled look from people trying to figure out why it looks different. I had a 93 Lightning in 94 & truthfully don't miss it. It was fun for the same reasons, but the interior had more squeaks and rattles than a barnyard.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Were you able to keep the sway bar after the flip?
Yes...just had to adjust (threaded in and out) End Links. I also have 3 adjustment holes on the Bar.

Reactions: Rahlow and lmat

·
Registered
347 Posts
It turns a hell of a lot better than those after the lowering and rear sway bar.

Reactions: lmat
1 - 20 of 27 Posts