Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I've got a 2002 and it's currently got 130 000 miles on it.
Repairs are starting to add up - I've rebuilt the transmission, done the starter and now I have to do the lower ball joints on both sides.

I'm wondering how many miles previous owners have got out of these trucks? I'd like to see 200 000 but I have no idea if that is a possibility.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I had a 98 2wd auto and it was still running super strong at 219,000 miles when I sold it. I saw it last summer and it still looked to be running well. As far as mechanical issues, it was still on the original transmission when I sold it, we had replaced the alternator (2x, the first one was bad). I think that sums it up.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I had a 1995 Nissan truck. I bought it new with 1 mile on it in late 1994 and put 188,000 miles on it over the next 11 years. When I sold it it still was running great. I still see it around town every once in a while.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have an 01' with 148,000 that's my DD and still going as strong as ever. As far as maintenance, all that has been done over the years has been oil changes and standard tune-ups, and of course the 100,000 service.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
1997 Hardbody which has the same motor except it was a single overhead cam instead of the dual introduced for the trucks in 1998. I got just right under 400,000 miles out of that motor and it was still running strong when I decided to part the truck out. The timing chain guides were bad but I drove it for 200,000 miles like that without a problem. The suspension was shot and the radiator blew up which was the last straw because all the repairs that had been neglected were too much to keep up with. Great truck and I wish I would have kept it.

Oh and the fourth gear fork in the tranny was replaced at 70,500 but I later found out that the truck had been T-boned on the driver's side and I believe the hit caused it to crack. I don't believe it was in anyway a fault of Nissan.

With you replacing everything that I put off and neglected yours should last longer than mine. Just find its weak points and work on them. Keep in mind the radiator tanks are plastic so if you keep it past 200,000 miles I would suggest putting in an aluminum radiator. You have one of the best trucks made so keep a hold of it, even better trucks than the 2nd gens.

And with everyone that has only 100,000 miles on their 1998 I wonder what on earth I did in this truck to get to 400,000. I had it all throughout high school and it saw A LOT of parties so I guess that is my reasoning.

I also talked to another guy that sold his 95(same motor) at 500,000. The only thing he had go wrong was the starter. He push started it every day after it went out and his tranny never had a problem.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
143K here and still running strong. if you maintain your vehicle you will get as many miles out of it as you want. oh yeah and no major fix it problems besides services and tune ups

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the messages. I bought this truck because of the design and the reliability. I've owned Civics before getting this truck, so I'm not used to too many repairs.

Glad to hear about the reliability of others trucks so I'll keep at it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
currently at 128,000 miles with my 02 CC.

only thing done outside of regular service, was a valve cover gasket that was leaking.
and a 1491 code that keeps popping up and of course the knock sensor code.
other than that it still runs great.

seeing those Hardbodies and 720's still running around makes me keep mine until those have faded OR until I have alot of money to buy a new one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts