Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone share with me how Torque calculates trip MPG? Does Torque use an algorithm or does the ECU actually track MPG and just sends that info through the OBD port to Torque? Thanks in advance for as much insight as you can share!

·
Admin
3,279 Posts
I am almost certain our ECU does not deliver the already calculated MPG information to the OBDII port and then to torque.

I don't know the exact calculation but I think Torque receives fuel delivery rate (in liters / per hour) and combines that with ODBII speed to calculate your MPG. There may be more to it than that, but that's what I remember anyway.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am almost certain our ECU does not deliver the already calculated MPG information to the OBDII port and then to torque.

I don't know the exact calculation but I think Torque receives fuel delivery rate (in liters / per hour) and combines that with ODBII speed to calculate your MPG. The re may be more to it than that, but that's what I remember anyway.
I believe you are correct. I saw the fuel flow/hour (expressed as gals/hr) does come from the ECU and I figured if Torque knows that and how fast you are going or the distance you traveled, it could calculate MPG. Here is why I originally asked for insight. I took a trip yesterday and traveled 360 miles. The average MPG calculated was way off (showed 30 MPG/actual 22.2 MPG). If the fuel flow/hr is accurate and the distance or speed is accurate, why is the MPG so out of whack?

·
Registered
305 Posts
i am pretty sure it only does it that way if you set it up to... I think the switch is allow it to use advanced settings or similar. The stock way i think it uses the infomation you put in about the gas tank.

I could be wrong however...

·
Premium Member
5,743 Posts
I believe you are correct. I saw the fuel flow/hour (expressed as gals/hr) does come from the ECU and I figured if Torque knows that and how fast you are going or the distance you traveled, it could calculate MPG. Here is why I originally asked for insight. I took a trip yesterday and traveled 360 miles. The average MPG calculated was way off (showed 30 MPG/actual 22.2 MPG). If the fuel flow/hr is accurate and the distance or speed is accurate, why is the MPG so out of whack?
That's exactly what I found while running it in my beater Chevy Cavalier. The instant MPG reading and total MPG was always reading high and once I filled up and did the math manually, it was off. Once I adjusted the "MPG "trim" adjustment, it was always dead on. I use torque to attempt better MPG out of the car (DD to work) So I was paying pretty close attention to the whole deal.

Also, make sure all the parameters are set properly for the vehicle. once in a while I'll plug the unit in to my frontier but have the cavalier profile chosen and it reads really odd.

Keep in mind any MPG reading is going to be some type of equation the computer is programmed to use. Most of what I hear on the interwebs is the method is never going to be 100%.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Also, make sure all the parameters are set properly for the vehicle. once in a while I'll plug the unit in to my frontier but have the cavalier profile chosen and it reads really odd.

Keep in mind any MPG reading is going to be some type of equation the computer is programmed to use. Most of what I hear on the interwebs is the method is never going to be 100%.
I have all parameters set correctly. This has me puzzled...If the ECU has fuel flow/unit of time and we know the ECU has accurate distance data, the calculation should be simple....distance traveled/total fuel flow = MPG. Is it possible to see the algorithm used by Torque to calculate fuel mileage?

Possible cause of problem? I had a 1-ton F350 with 7.3l diesel. I had the ECU reprogrammed by a company because I was doing a lot of hauling heavy in the mountains of the west. When I reinstalled the ECU it made the fuel mileage meter built into the truck read way high...way high. So, is there any way that the ECU could have been flashed in my Nissan, causing the same effect to MPG readings?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts