Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most suspension modifications lack information on performance. Whether it rides stiffer, softer, off on road manners and a lot of other things.Most descriptions just describe the way it looks, which is fine and what most people are most interested in anyway.
So just suggesting that after lifting or other suspension modifications give more info of quality of ride.
My suspension.front
Hooped
BTF uca and lca.
Fox 2.5 reservoir shocks(8" travel,14" reservoirs).
650lbs Eibach springs(18").
BTF extended axles, tie rods.
Radflo hydraulic bumps.
Strapped.
Rear
Fox 2.5 piggyback triple bypass shocks(14" travel).
Radflo hydraulic bumps.
Deaver custom spring pack.
PRG shackles.
Performance.
I am satisfied with my front suspension. Decent travel(13-14").Soaks up bumps fair for a limited truck.
Having issues with the rear suspension. Totally unsatisfied. Lots of wheel hop. Cause? To be determined.

·
Registered
271 Posts
You don't cbc before you get the 8 inch travel? I thought a ts was suppose to give u like 5-7 inches of travel at most?

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have no coil buckets if you are asking me.
With after market arms,(3" longer arms)you can get close to 10".
Dirt King, BTF, PRG(special limited arms)5"-6" longer arms, push 14" or more. Of course these setups require hoops.
I have close to 14" of travel. The 8" is the travel of the shock.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would it be useful to add in how the truck is used?
Yes, very useful.
I think that most people interested would be people who use their trucks as daily drivers. Although interesting I doubt if many people would go to the extreme like some of us do.
I got to thinking about this after reading glamisdudes article. He pretty much covered what to expect with different shocks,springs etc.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
His "how to/review" article on using Tundra struts on a T swap.
Never really paid much attention to it since it did not relate to what I was/ am trying to accomplish.
Like I mentioned very informative about what to expect with different combinations.

·
Premium Member
7,856 Posts
Mine rides great! A bit firmer than stock as to be expected with 700lb coils but none of that damn bouncing that stock suspensions do, just hit, rebound and settle.
Quite of bit of body roll obviously with almost 8" of lift, flexy suspension and no sway bars but considering it's also almost a foot wider than a stock truck it handles pretty damn well.
I get a lot of rear hop going into braking bumps and accel bumps but good other than that. What's funny is it was nearly flawless on 33s. It only started hopping bad once I went to 35s. I've recently upped the valving on the rear shocks a bit so I'll update once I get some high speed trail time on them.

My set up;
7.5" lit on 35" Toyo MTs

Front-
Calmini DB kit
Titan swap
PRG UCAs
Radflo 2.5 resi COs with 16" 700lb Eibach springs
DK LCAs
Radflo hydros and straps not installed yet.

Rear-
Custom Deaver packs
Radflo 2.0 resi shocks
Prg shackles

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After starting this thread I got to thinking, who would admit if their suspensions did not work out well.
I have seen lifts with 3"-4" lift spacers in front and 4" blocks in the rear. I see total failure.
I have asked" no axle wrap with 4" blocks?" I never receive an answer.
Just saying.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"What's funny is it was nearly flawless on 33s."
I never experienced any wheel hop with my PRG/Deaver race pack. So the new pack is where the problem lies.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
I think most of us would admit to the shortcomings of their suspension. But, those with large spacer lifts and blocks are not going to admit.

As far as my setup, it rides wonderful on road. I've had it up to about 80 MPH and up and down the rockies on I 70 twice. It does have a fair bit of body roll (no sway bar, don't intend to add one), but it will turn a corner without issue. Off road so far has been just great with no issues with bottoming out. I have the plastic front bumper and aluminum skids, so, YMMV if there were heavier bumpers and steel skids.

Titan swapped with SPC uppers, Tundra 5100's and 4runner springs which I believe are 595 lb springs. Rear is a Nisstec AAL with the overload spring left in and some 0-3" lift(?) Bilstien 5125's. The rear seems to work, no complaints, could be better I suppose but I get no wheel hop or strangeness.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is what most people on this site are looking for. This is very informative relating to glamisdude's article.

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
Most suspension modifications lack information on performance. Whether it rides stiffer, softer, off on road manners and a lot of other things.Most descriptions just describe the way it looks, which is fine and what most people are most interested in anyway.
So just suggesting that after lifting or other suspension modifications give more info of quality of ride.
My suspension.front
Hooped
BTF uca and lca.
Fox 2.5 reservoir shocks(8" travel,14" reservoirs).
650lbs Eibach springs(18").
BTF extended axles, tie rods.
Radflo hydraulic bumps.
Strapped.
Rear
Fox 2.5 piggyback triple bypass shocks(14" travel).
Radflo hydraulic bumps.
Deaver custom spring pack.
PRG shackles.
Performance.
I am satisfied with my front suspension. Decent travel(13-14").Soaks up bumps fair for a limited truck.
Having issues with the rear suspension. Totally unsatisfied. Lots of wheel hop. Cause? To be determined.
What prompted you to swap a Deaver pack for a Deaver pack? Have you considered sticking a gopro underneath to record the level of springwrap you might have?
With everything you've done to the truck, would a 3-link or something similar be a good upgrade? This is assuming your hop is due to wrap and not unsprung mass.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I did not have enough bump travel with the PRG/Deavers. The truck is heavy so I went to a heavier spring pack.
Spring wrap is caused by too soft of springs in most cases. The truck ran fine with the lighter springs so I don't think that is the cause.
I have a suspicion that the new spring pack is too stiff. I still have the PRG/ Deaver so we might need to use leaves from both packs to get it right.
In the condition it is now, it is not raceable.
Need to get it done among a lot of other things for NORRA in April.
We have not tested since we learned of this condition but will soon.
I am sending the A-Team to test.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts