Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Friends!

I'm currently in search of a 3 person canoe. Found one that is 15.5ft long and 37.5" at the widest point, and 80lbs. I have a 2014 Pro-4X with the factory roof rack but to be honest, I've never use my roof rack or any roof rack for anything before. A couple of questions:

1) How do I mount this on my rack? Just throw it up top, upside down, with the adjustable cross bars at the widest point, and strap her down with some ratchet straps?

2) Do I require any further attachments for my roof rack?

3) Anyone ever used those Truck hitch extenders in combination with the roof rack? If so, what are you thoughts? Is this necessary or will the roof rack be sufficient?

Thanks for the help! Any advice/tips, recommendations, or pictures would be incredibly appreciated. The last thing I want to do is lose my canoe on the road !!

Thanks to all.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I know nothing about canoes, but I know a lot about Febreze! I make it. :) I saw your name and had to laugh.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
592 Posts
...The last thing I want to do is lose my canoe on the road !!...l.
That is pretty much job 1 seeing as how if it comes loose you lose a canoe and the car behind you gets it through the windshield. I have carried a lot of boats over the years and I have found you can pretty much balance it on rails that are only a few feet apart providing you tie down the front and back, snugly. You want to keep the bow and stern from flopping around in the wind, plus you have secured the boat to the vehicle independently of the roof rack straps.

And two other points but this may just be me: I carry the boat as near as possible on the passenger side, and I shave my normal speed by about 10 MPH. The first because I think it minimizes the buffeting from vehicles going in the opposite direction (or passing me), and the second because I think (imagine maybe) the wind stress is reduced.

I have no pictures of boats on my Frontier but here is one on my previous truck. The lad is not me (my son) and the location is Cache Creek, Ca. I was the boat shuttle and the red Encore is mine (or was).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Never had roof racks on any of my trucks but have carried kayaks and canoes all over in my bed with and without the bed extended installed in my hitch. Based on the deminsions of your canoe I'd say your best bet is to get a bed extender and use it to match the height of your rack. Make sure it's strapped down good, especially in the front, and you'll be good to go.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f8/hauling-kayaks-319513/

My post from that thread:

I usually haul my 14ft WS tarpon 140 on the roof with no issues, although I have had a 12ft'r up there with it at times. I like to tie it to both sides of the factory roof rack, tie it to the front tow hook, and then finish it off by by attaching to the utilitrack hook mounts. I put the sliding utilitrack mounts in both of the floor tracks and then loop the strap in a large U shape over the yak. You can just throw 10ft'rs in the bed with the tailgate up. I've gone short distances with the 14ft'r in my short bed (tailgate down), just had to secure it really well.

Best way is with a hitch bed extender, can pretty much handle any length and loading/unloading is super easy. As you said, there are also hitch extenders that match the height of the roof, but I've always found the bed height ones to be sufficient and much easier to load.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have transported a fiberglass canoe on the factory roof rack. It was just a little awkward to lift up there, but I eventually figured it out. I didn't drive very fast though, because it seems like it's overhanging a LOT with support only near the center.

Here it is at Chambers Lake:

I saw a Frontier a couple hours after I took that photo, and they were set up with with a better solution. They built a simple 2x4 structure near the tailgate which supports the back end of the canoe. Looked very secure. Unfortunately I didn't get a photo of that. Maybe that person is on this forum...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
369 Posts
I carry 2 sea kayaks 17' on the factory racks all the time. Being kayaks though they mount differently (I use 2 sets of J hooks). I also tie the front and back to the bumpers. This is more weight by far than your canoe but you will have a lot more air puahing up inside a flipped over canoe than kayaks grab as they arw closed hulls

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts