Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried changin strut and stripped the damn nut....
Do i try and drill out the screw?
N e one try a nut cracker?
What do i do?
Btw doing the shocks im goin to try and torch the nut... never do e that before.....so do i just heat it up till red? Or heat it up and cool it down a couple of times?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah the one bolt that goes threw the eye of the strut. Damn rustynuts!

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
I hate it when my nuts get rusty. 8) You really should use your nuts more often.

Seriously though that sucks, fought rusted nuts before only to turn a 1 hour project into a 3 hour project, I feel your pain.
Good luck, and I sincerely mean that.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Yeah the one bolt that goes threw the eye of the strut. Damn rustynuts!
You're talking about the lower shock eye bolt nut right?.. If so, you can grind it off, torch it off or split it with a nut splitter or a good sharp cold chisel with a BFH or a cold chisel on a air hammer if you have a compressor. Either method will work, wear some eye protection.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Try..
Locking the stripped side with a big pair of ViseGrips and hit it with an impact gun from the other side. Spec. on those are 200# to begin with.

G/L

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
guess im gonna try the nut splitter... 600# impact gun couldnt get it undone. Socket and 4ft pry bar with all of my 220lbs couldnt get it too. This 2hr job tops is turnin into a pain. Damn u rust!!!!!!

·
Registered
755 Posts
WD-40? also get some Knipex Cobra pliers in the XXL size. Think the combo of vise grips and channel locks that get tighter the harder you pull. we made the 300 lb fat guy do pull ups on them at work on an oilly, smooth pipe. haha

·
Registered
378 Posts
guess im gonna try the nut splitter... 600# impact gun couldnt get it undone. Socket and 4ft pry bar with all of my 220lbs couldnt get it too. This 2hr job tops is turnin into a pain. Damn u rust!!!!!!
Do you have access to a reciprocal saw or even a jig saw with a metal cutting blade? Might want to give it try if you got a clear shot at it. Just a thought.

·
Super Moderator
20,005 Posts
Find a good 6 point impact socket to hammer onto the nut. Use a wrench to hold the bolt head and use a good (IR) impact gun or breaker bar with a cheater pipe to remove it. PB Blaster is 100 times better than WD40 for loosening stubborn fasteners.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Do you have access to a reciprocal saw or even a jig saw with a metal cutting blade? Might want to give it try if you got a clear shot at it. Just a thought.
x2 one of my strut bolts was stuck i just sawzall'ed the head off and got a new one from napa autoparts they had grade 8 metric bolts in stock just remember if you leave any bare metal to touch it up with some paint to avoid rust

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
How good are you with a torch? You can blow a nut off a bolt with out hurting the bolt, takes a little practice though.

Never tried it with a plasma cutter, I'll give it a shot next week when mine shows up.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
x2 one of my strut bolts was stuck i just sawzall'ed the head off and got a new one from napa autoparts they had grade 8 metric bolts in stock just remember if you leave any bare metal to touch it up with some paint to avoid rust
Just stopped by nissan parts and they cant order less than 10 bolts and nuts. I only need 1 pair...geez

·
Registered
425 Posts
PB Blaster is 100 times better than WD40 for loosening stubborn fasteners.
I agree completely here, used PB Blaster on the bolts on the downpipe from the turbo. Were very rusty, but after spraying with that, they broke free pretty easily.

Also, maybe a dremel moto tool to cut the nut in half/off?

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Just stopped by nissan parts and they cant order less than 10 bolts and nuts. I only need 1 pair...geez
thats why i said i went to NAPA AUTO PARTS and they had the right bolt in stock cause when i went to the dealership and they gave me the same crappy answer

How good are you with a torch? You can blow a nut off a bolt with out hurting the bolt, takes a little practice though.

Never tried it with a plasma cutter, I'll give it a shot next week when mine shows up.
aww man now your gettin a plasma cutter lucky bastard:fantastic:ill have to drop by some time and watch you burn stuff:)

·
Registered
242 Posts
If you can't find the replacement bolt, then use the lower shock bolt and nut from the rear shock. It's the same as the front. Replace the rear with a 1/2 grade 8 bolt...Then you can buy new Bilsteins for the rear from summit racing and don't have to worry about boring out the lower sleeve.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts