Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to take my 06 Nismo's roof rack off around 2 months ago, because it was leaking water through the bolt holes whenever there's constant rain for a day or two. I ended up liking how it looked without the racks, so I decided I'd leave them off and figure out how to seal the roof rack holes that apparently run straight into the headliner. I figured putting these perfectly sized plastic pieces that I found over the holes and sealing it with some sort of clear sealant would work well enough, but nope. If we get extended periods of rain there's still water that comes into the headliner and leaks all over the front of the truck. I'm trying to figure out what the best solution would be. I would prefer a solution that's not too permanent because I may decide to put the rack back on one day, though I don't mind if I have to use sealants or whatever. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I wasn't able to find much information on this subject anywhere online, so hopefully this will help others in the future also.

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
14,117 Posts
I had mine off a few years ago and though I replaced all the rubber washers and used some silicone, I get some leaking when it rains hard as well. I am going to consider urethane next.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had mine off a few years ago and though I replaced all the rubber washers and used some silicone, I get some leaking when it rains hard as well. I am going to consider urethane next.
Do you know what size the bolts are? I've thought about getting some flat heads to put in there along with some sealant, but I can't figure out what size bolts I would even need.

·
Registered
2011 4x4 KC SV
140 Posts
Do you still have the stock bolts? Take them to a hardware store and use a thread gauge there.

·
Registered
2011 4x4 KC SV
140 Posts
Assuming the leak path is through the threads once you figure out what the thread diameter and pitch is you can see if you can find some sealing screws/bolts. These have an o-ring under the head to seal the leak path through the threads. Get 18-8 stainless if you can.

You can also try RTV sealant on the threads of a normal bolt, but seal bolts/screws are already made for this.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Assuming the leak path is through the threads once you figure out what the thread diameter and pitch is you can see if you can find some sealing screws/bolts. These have an o-ring under the head to seal the leak path through the threads. Get 18-8 stainless if you can.

You can also try RTV sealant on the threads of a normal bolt, but seal bolts/screws are already made for this.
Okay awesome. I'll definitely see if I can find some of those then. That sounds like exactly what I'll need. Really appreciate the help.

·
Registered
259 Posts
There is a product called rope caulk. It is grey in color and comes rolled up in the package. It is an inexpensive old school non hardening caulk for houses. I use this stuff on a homemade camper that sits out side and have not had a leak anywhere I have used it. The trick I suggest is to use the original bolts with a washer and any sealing rubber washer and wrap the bolt, washer, top of cab and anywhere water can enter. When the bolt is tightened the caulk should squish out to completely seal the joints. You can peel off the squish out. The caulk cleans with solvent and it doesn't harden so it makes a good bedding compound for things that are removed in the future. Good luck!

Tt

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is a product called rope caulk. It is grey in color and comes rolled up in the package. It is an inexpensive old school non hardening caulk for houses. I use this stuff on a homemade camper that sits out side and have not had a leak anywhere I have used it. The trick I suggest is to use the original bolts with a washer and any sealing rubber washer and wrap the bolt, washer, top of cab and anywhere water can enter. When the bolt is tightened the caulk should squish out to completely seal the joints. You can peel off the squish out. The caulk cleans with solvent and it doesn't harden so it makes a good bedding compound for things that are removed in the future. Good luck!

Tt
Thanks for the suggestion. May look at picking up some of that as well. Unfortunately I still have to get new bolts because the ones that came with the roof rack are much too long when using them without it, so they stick up a half inch. That stuff sounds like it could be a good extra preventative with the new bolts though.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. May look at picking up some of that as well. Unfortunately I still have to get new bolts because the ones that came with the roof rack are much too long when using them without it, so they stick up a half inch. That stuff sounds like it could be a good extra preventative with the new bolts though.
You may try grabbing an assortment of plastic vehicle retaining clips, such as hood retaining clips (friction fit barb with wide flat back) and inserting the one that fits best into the hole with a bead of silicone caulk around the hole and under the plastic brim.

That would provide a fairly sleek appearance, and you could paint the tops of the plastic to match the truck. If done correctly they would not leak.

A link to what I am thinking down below.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I wanna say they're M8x1.0 metric thread bolts. Read that in a rack removal thread, im looking into getting rid of my rack as well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You may try grabbing an assortment of plastic vehicle retaining clips, such as hood retaining clips (friction fit barb with wide flat back) and inserting the one that fits best into the hole with a bead of silicone caulk around the hole and under the plastic brim.

That would provide a fairly sleek appearance, and you could paint the tops of the plastic to match the truck. If done correctly they would not leak.

A link to what I am thinking down below.

I think I've already committed to the idea of getting some new bolts to fit, and sealing around them. However, I've never seen those before and they look like they'd be a pretty good fit. This will certainly be Plan B if the bolts don't end up working out. Thanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wanna say they're M8x1.0 metric thread bolts. Read that in a rack removal thread, im looking into getting rid of my rack as well.
Sweet. I'm going to Lowes tomorrow to see if that matches up. Thank you!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Off-topic question. Why do people get rid of the OEM rack? To me our Frontiers look better with it...
I guess just preference. Sometimes I do like how the roof rack how looks, and sometimes I don't.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I guess just preference. Sometimes I do like how the roof rack how looks, and sometimes I don't.
No offense, but I think it makes Frontiers look very plain and poorly optioned without the rack, but it is preference. I guess I just love the overall look of our trucks with the factory rack on.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No offense, but I think it makes Frontiers look very plain and poorly optioned without the rack, but it is preference. I guess I just love the overall look of our trucks with the factory rack on.
None taken. I'm actually about half way through sanding my roof rack, so I may throw it back on one day once it's all painted, but right now I'm loving it without.

·
Registered
690 Posts
None taken. I'm actually about half way through sanding my roof rack, so I may throw it back on one day once it's all painted, but right now I'm loving it without.
I can imagine, mine needs repainted as well, so I may find myself in the same situation, using the truck without it and maybe liking it.... lol

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
14,117 Posts
I pulled my rack off a few years ago, painted it, and then reassembled using urethane to keep it all tight. Went all black paint, including the roof basket on the rack.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts