Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Nissan frontier SE-V6 King Cab 4x4 5 Speed Manual Transmission
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP! my 2001 4x4 frontier is riding on 33s on stock wheels and stock suspension but they rub in the front when i turn. i have looked for suspension lifts but have had no luck. i also don’t want a body lift. i’d prefer a leveling kit or something just to raise the front end a little higher to clear the 33 inch tires. maybe a 1 inch lift in the front. can someone help me please? thanks.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Torsion bar crank. Search for that or poor man lift. Lots of info. You may need a body lift anyway

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Torsion bar crank. Search for that or poor man lift. Lots of info. You may need a body lift anyway
yes my dad recommended i do a torsion bar lift but he also told me the torsion bars can break too if they are too lifted.

·
Registered
Great truck
868 Posts
I tightened mine because my truck would bounce of the bump stops on speed bumps and it lifted the front a bunch. now mine looks like one of those stupid trucks where the front is higher then the back. I need to lift the back about an inch or 1.5 to make it level now.

but the ride is a lot better. my truck was soft riding like Cadillac before. now it feels like a truck

·
Registered
314 Posts
I cranked mine. Lift about 1.5 to 2in. Get an alignment afther that. Leave 1/8 to 1/4in gap before the upper bump stop.

A suspension lift will not make a bigger tire fit as the tire will go up as the suspension works. You will need to trim and/or install a body lift. Your wheels offset can affect if the tires rubs when turning

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I cranked mine. Lift about 1.5 to 2in. Get an alignment afther that. Leave 1/8 to 1/4in gap before the upper bump stop.

A suspension lift will not make a bigger tire fit as the tire will go up as the suspension works. You will need to trim and/or install a body lift. Your wheels offset can affect if the tires rubs when turning
im running stock SE 4 spoke wheels. my tires are 285/75 R16. im sure a torsion bar list should at least clear my bumper and fender liner.

·
Registered
314 Posts
im running stock SE 4 spoke wheels. my tires are 285/75 R16. im sure a torsion bar list should at least clear my bumper and fender liner.
It is not just about clearing tires while not moving. Your suspension need to be able to work without the tire contacting anything while the tires are turned in both directions. Otherwise, you run the risk of a flat tire to broken suspension parts or tire slashing by a fender.

Do it right if you use your truck at all.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is not just about clearing tires while not moving. Your suspension need to be able to work without the tire contacting anything while the tires are turned in both directions. Otherwise, you run the risk of a flat tire to broken suspension parts or tire slashing by a fender.

Do it right if you use your truck at all.
not really because im not necessarily making sharp turns at high speeds. only when i pull out my drive way it rubs...

·
Registered
314 Posts
not really because im not necessarily making sharp turns at high speeds. only when i pull out my drive way it rubs...
You do what you want. At the end of the day, you are driving and you pay the bills. You may get away with it if your truck is a pavement only rig but in any offroad application, you risk are different than on road. As you put 33s on your truck, I thought you use it offroad

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You do what you want. At the end of the day, you are driving and you pay the bills. You may get away with it if your truck is a pavement only rig but in any offroad application, you risk are different than on road. As you put 33s on your truck, I thought you use it offroad
this little truck is my pavement princess haha. but i do have a 1994 f250 4x4 i plan to lift and take off roading. but this little truck is the daily.

·
Registered
783 Posts
The second you compress your suspension all the way the those 33's WILL hit you your fender wells and mud guards. Theres no way around it other than adding a Body Lift. It doesn't matter how much of a suspension lift you put on it. The key to no rub is a body Lift. A 2'' Body Lift costs about $150 and takes an afternoon to put on. A 2'' Body Lift is exactly what you need to run those tires. Plus it'll make your truck look like it has some nuts.

If your truck is a "Pavement Princess" You can quite possibly get away with just a Torsion Crank only. But, like i said before, at some point you're going to compress that suspension all the way and hopefully you don't rip something off by running oversized tires.

ALSO, adjust your turn stops. They're on you Lower Control Arm and will prevent your tires from rubbing on turns.

This is what 33's on a 3'' BL Looks Like

Reactions: Arodis Reyes

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
this little truck is my payment princess haha. but i do have a 1994 f250 4x4 i plan to lift and take off roading. but this little truck is the daily.
The second you compress your suspension all the way the those 33's WILL hit you your fender wells and mud guards. Theres no way around it other than adding a Body Lift. It doesn't matter how much of a suspension lift you put on it. The key to no rub is a body Lift. A 2'' Body Lift costs about $150 and takes an afternoon to put on. A 2'' Body Lift is exactly what you need to run those tires. Plus it'll make your truck look like it has some nuts.

If your truck is a "Pavement Princess" You can quite possibly get away with just a Torsion Crank only. But, like i said before, at some point you're going to compress that suspension all the way and hopefully you don't rip something off by running oversized tires.

ALSO, adjust your turn stops. They're on you Lower Control Arm and will prevent your tires from rubbing on turns.

This is what 33's on a 3'' BL Looks Like

View attachment 319828 View attachment 319829
my truck currently looks like this. it’s missing both fender flares on the bumpers but i plan to respray the front bumper and install the fender flares on the bumper so they will for sure rub on the tires. i may consider a body lift. i’ve seen xterras with body lifts but the frames are still very low to the ground which i don’t like. will a 2 inch body lift make the frame visible?

·
Registered
Great truck
868 Posts
wow, it looks like a speed bump is going to make your wheels rub. it looks cool but hardly any space for movement

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wow, it looks like a speed bump is going to make your wheels rub. it looks cool but hardly any space for movement
i have actually made someone jump up and down on my rear bumper to see if it would rub with the rear but it surprisingly does not rub when the suspension is compressed. maybe it could be due to the fact i bought new rear shocks.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Yes a 2'' Body Lift will make your frame more visible by 2''. You're lifting the body up and out of the way of your tires.

The max you can lift your Suspension is 3'' by the way. If you do the Poor Mans Lift then 1.5'' will be max.
You may be able to get away with just a Suspension Lift but if you're wanting to get the full 3'' of suspension lift out of your truck then get ready to spend around a $1000. You need new lower control arms, rear shackles, shocks and upgraded steering to do it right. If you don't get new LCA's and Shackles you'll most certainly break some things. The CV Axles and Ball Joints will be the first thing to go.

You could go the cheap route and just get the bare essentials which would be LCA's, Rear Shackles, and Shocks. 4x4Parts.Com has all of that an i highly recommend them. The LCA's are damn near $500 for the pair tho. It gets expensive quick.

I cant vouch for this guys Body Lifts but they look to be quality and at a very good price. Get the Extended Radiator Hose and Front Bumper Relocation Bracket. $195

Stay Away From CALMINI. Nothing but horrible reviews about that company. You'd probably never get your order anyways.

I suggest you read this thread here. Very Good Info. Body Lift is KEY to getting bigger tires:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts