Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member, 1st post... recently got a 2001 SC manual...I have 3 cup holders in the console between the seats. From the most forward one, sometimes extreme heat pours out, hotter than if it was a heater outlet. Doesn't smell like exhaust and doesn't sound like I have an exhaust leak. Any thoughts ? Thanks...

·
Registered
33 Posts
New member, 1st post... recently got a 2001 SC manual...I have 3 cup holders in the console between the seats. From the most forward one, sometimes extreme heat pours out, hotter than if it was a heater outlet. Doesn't smell like exhaust and doesn't sound like I have an exhaust leak. Any thoughts ? Thanks...

I have a 00 v6 with 5 speed and I do notice a considerable amount of heat coming from the transmission through the hump all around the shifter but not so noticeable from the front cup holder. However it's been awhile since I took it on a long drive (mostly driven 5 miles or less).

Sent from my Typewriter using Tapatalk

·
Registered
674 Posts
When I did my clutch I had to take out the assembly. There's a rubber boot on the bottom side of the cab below the assembly that you can't see, if it's torn you will get hot air that's running through the trans tunnel up into the cab. It's not the boot that you can see in the cab, there's another one underneath. The one you can see is just there for looks

The boot flexes with the shifter and as it gets old the rubber weakens and will tear as you move the shifter around

It's a dealer only part and the boot itself is not replaceable. You need to buy the whole plastic piece and it's over $100. Unless you can rig up something that will be able to seal out the heat yet still be able to flex with the stick shift. The boot is almost flat in proportion so good luck rigging something up that won't come apart as you go through gears, I couldn't figure it out so I just stuffed a rag in the cup holder and it helps

If you look up where the stick shift comes out of the trans from underneath the truck you'll see it, and to access it you just remove the stick shift console assembly
Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, do you know if the boot beneath the shifter assembly is accessible from the cab or does the transmission need to be removed ?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Good times, I remember that from my '01 CC! I removed the center console and built a custom one out of wood. Insulation did the trick for me, I used one of those reflective windshield dudes and cut it up. Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here is the part number, if you get lucky you might find it on ebay for cheap. I got mine for 50. Expensive for a piece of insulation but worth it.

I just replaced mine a few weeks ago. Makes a world of difference. just make sure you seal everything correctly, you'll know what I mean when you see it

edit; looks like the picture isn't displaying right, anyways, p/n is 75960N

Attachments

·
Registered
674 Posts
If the OEM shift boot is too pricey, what about a universal? Autozone universal.
It's not the shift boot that's the problem, that one is just there for looks,

There's an actual sealing boot underneath it and that's what seals the cab

It's not a universal type part because it's built into a square piece of plastic underneath the plastic panel

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
It's not the shift boot that's the problem, that one is just there for looks,

There's an actual sealing boot underneath it and that's what seals the cab

It's not a universal type part because it's built into a square piece of plastic underneath the plastic panel

I was thinking the universal might be large enough to replace the sealing boot underneath. and then if the stick didn't seal tight the bootie nipple could be zip-tied to the stick shaft. didn't realize the oem square was that large

·
Registered
24 Posts
Maybe not universal, but before buying the OEM one I was going to try out an insulator from an F250, mainly because I couldn't find the one for the Frontier. I figured it would be big enough to be timed if needed, and it was cheaper. Might be worth looking at

·
Registered
337 Posts
Level 2

It's only 4 Phillips screws in plain site to get to it

Level 1 is when someone else does it for free.::smile::

·
Registered
58 Posts
Same situation on my wifes 2001 SE Crew Cab V6 Manual. I simply removed the plastic cup holder trim, applied a couple layers of Dynamatt, or any type of product like that. Lowes sells a 6" wide roofing tape just like it. Then I added carpet insulation and covered it back up. The heating problem is fixed. I think this is a very common issue with the parts Nissan used and its design. Any nubbie can do this!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts