Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to see what the best mods for the 4.0 for the money you guys would recommend. Also wanted to see what kind of gains you are seeing with things like intake, headers and exhaust. I know on my firebird it picked up pretty good from headers and exhaust but didn't know how the 4.0 would respond. Sorry if this had already been asked I've tried searching but not had great luck. Thanks

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was wondering I didn't know if it was worth spending the money on the 4.0 for the gains you may pick up.

·
Registered
233 Posts
HP gains

I went from 227 hp stock 257hp after the mods. Which were, Doug Thorley long tube headers high-flow cats dual in dual out Magnaflow Muffler. Volant cold air intake, XTP manifold spacer, UpRev tune on the dyno. +30hp for about 2k total. Add another $5,500 for the Stillen Super Charger and got another 116hp, 373hp total. This is rear wheel hp #'s. Sometimes it takes money to gain horsepower.

Reactions: bdhaeh

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
30hp is pretty good for bolt-ons. Like I was saying I didn't know how well these motors respond to bolt-ons and yes it does take money to make horsepower.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hp

I have a 2011 6 Speed now, I did the same thing to my 2009 5 speed automatic and got 30hp out of it too, with the same bolt on mods and UpRev. Forgot to say that I had E-fans on both trucks got rid of the factory primary fans, kept the AC fans in place. I think it's worth it, and I think these 4.0's do respond to the mods.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
I think uprev is the key to any modifications.
There is a person who was on Nissan Podcast(Daniel Grooters) who went to GTR injectors along with the mods mentioned here.

·
Premium Member
7,125 Posts
I think uprev is the key to any modifications.
There is a person who was on Nissan Podcast(Daniel Grooters) who went to GTR injectors along with the mods mentioned here.
Correct me if I'm wrong:
UpRev takes into account all installed mods (IE aftermarket intake, headers, custom exhaust, etc)...whereas basic onboard tuners only have generic tunes likely based on a stock engine setup.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
I believe so. They do the tuning on a dyno.
There are people on this site who actually use Uprev which I don't and would be a lot better answering questions.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
I went from 227 hp stock 257hp after the mods. Which were, Doug Thorley long tube headers high-flow cats dual in dual out Magnaflow Muffler. Volant cold air intake, XTP manifold spacer, UpRev tune on the dyno. +30hp for about 2k total. Add another $5,500 for the Stillen Super Charger and got another 116hp, 373hp total. This is rear wheel hp #'s. Sometimes it takes money to gain horsepower.
did you do everything at the same time? same dyno for the before/after comparison?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For the uprev is that software they have to program with or sumthin I have to buy then have them to program?

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
For the uprev is that software they have to program with or sumthin I have to buy then have them to program?
Uprev is a flash for the ECM. You buy a cable and licence for yourself. You then use your laptop to upload a tune from someone like http://www.cajunbpipes.com/Custom-Tuning.html or direct from Uprev... and after driving it a bit logging data you email it back to them and they fine-tune your tune. Alternately you go to a tuning shop, they load it up, dyno the truck, adjust the tune and done.

If you plan to go Uprev, you want to do your supporting mods first (headers/exhaust/IMS/intake/cam/...) Then do the tune... saves having the tune readjusted...

A Bullydog tuner is similar to getting an Uprev tune, but the Bullydog is a OneSizeFitsAll where Uprev is adjusted for what you have

Correct me if I'm wrong:
UpRev takes into account all installed mods (IE aftermarket intake, headers, custom exhaust, etc)...whereas basic onboard tuners only have generic tunes likely based on a stock engine setup.
exactly. BDGT is a mallet. Uprev is a scalpel. If you flash the ECM yourself you will do some datalogging for them to fine-tune your tune. Also you tell them upfront what you have and they will get it close. Likely they already have made some maps for someone else so they are in the ballpark before you start. If you go to a dyno, they do it all for you in an hour or so with several pulls on the machine so they know the tune is good and you can see your power numbers

Reactions: Tattwo

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like it works about the same as when I had the tune done on my f-body. .

·
Registered
233 Posts
HP gains

did you do everything at the same time? same dyno for the before/after comparison?
No I did not do everything at the same time, in fact I had 2 or 3 pulls completely stock, then added the headers -exhaust, cold air intake, manifold spacer, E - Fans, and uprev, and got it tuned at that point, then added the super charger last. I use the same exact Dyno, same person tuned it, each time, and I did this for my 2009 and my current 2011 truck. And I'm not done yet, goal is 400rwhp, hopefully

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Just did some pretty quick math...remarkable that the frontier/xterra only has a loss of 15% from advertised net vs whp

curious what gain Uprev alone gives (even though it would be building on the efficiencies of the rest)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hp mods

Thats a good question, if I would have thought I would have gotten couple of Dyno pulls before the uprev tune, then after as a stand-alone comparison.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Have pretty much the exact smae mods, but waiting for shorty headers and high flow cats + uprev tune. I took out the second cats and put b pips in (most noticeable umph in power via butt dyno)

Then eventually do the SC build =D will have to add gtr injectors to the list =D

·
Registered
233 Posts
HP gains

Then eventually do the SC build =D will have to add gtr injectors to the list =D[/QUOTE]

With the supercharger, I'm using the Injector Dynamics 725's

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
The Stillen I found sucks(roots) They advertised 90rwhp and I and others found about 45. I went to engine logics Dyno Dynamics for years. Stock was 188 in 05. Stillen sc 6psi went with exhaust, headers and uuprev went to 244. cams, 10 psi and porting 260(Iwent to uprev and they use a dynojet. no changes I picked up 49rwhp difference between the 2 dynos, fwd to a new build with .20 overbore, forged pistons 8.0 compression, billet rods and studded motor. Built and adapted a Ken Bell twin screw 2.6litre blower to the motor and 12.5psi produced 337rwhp with 1000cc injector running 70% duty cycle. May seem low but considering the dyno before n after the motor is around 470hp. I have raced a 2wd 5.6 swapped frontier and yes beet him and stayed on the bumper of a Z06 to 135. Not bad for a lifted 4x4 on Mudders with 4,56 gears. its only money you can make more. :) And yes soon after the trans went so I rebuilt that in the garage with a level 10 kit and transgo shift kit

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hp

Hey BRUTAL, good to hear from ya, "lts only money, you can make more" that's a good one

1 - 20 of 20 Posts