Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I am currently having a really bad issue with the A/C on a 2004 2.4L, Manual 5-Speed Frontier with 64K miles. I searched the forum (as well as Youtube) and failed to find a matching problem description/solution. If I missed it PLEASE link to that thread. Thank you ...

The truck starts well and makes no noise at idle. The compressor make no noise at idle and disengaged (off).

When you turn the A/C on low (at idle) there is a very slight whine from the compressor area. If you push down on the gas pedal you get an awful (and I mean like hell must sound like) squeal from the compressor area, so loud you have to cover your ears. Sometimes you can actually see the clutch slipping when the air is on.

If you (again, at idle) turn the fan higher than the lowest setting the squeal returns.

BTW, the air in the truck blows cold.

My guess, and it is only a guess is that the compressor clutch requires replacement. Your opinion is appreciated. Any recommendations for fixing this is also appreciated. If I replace the compressor there are other parts that are recommended for replacement as well as evacuating the system and recharging.

Thanks for reading my drama and your recommendations are appreciated.

FrontierDud

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
3,684 Posts
Replace your v belts and ensure that you tighten them properly.

Sent from my SM-N910S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Hello all. I am currently having a really bad issue with the A/C on a 2004 2.4L, Manual 5-Speed Frontier with 64K miles. The compressor make no noise at idle and disengaged (off).

When you turn the A/C on low (at idle) there is a very slight whine from the compressor area. If you push down on the gas pedal you get an awful (and I mean like hell must sound like) squeal from the compressor area, so loud you have to cover your ears. Sometimes you can actually see the clutch slipping when the air is on.

If you (again, at idle) turn the fan higher than the lowest setting the squeal returns.

My guess, and it is only a guess is that the compressor clutch requires replacement. Your opinion is appreciated. Any recommendations for fixing this is also appreciated. If I replace the compressor there are other parts that are recommended for replacement as well as evacuating the system and recharging.

FrontierDud
I've got the same 2004 Frontier. I need to ask a question: you stated "Sometimes you can actually see the clutch slipping when the air is on." When this happens, (1) does the outer pulley turn same speed as the belt and the center part is somewhat stationary? Or (2) is the outer pulley behaving just like the center part?

If (1), then sounds like the magnetic clutch of the compressor is slipping; could be due to oil contamination, even the air gap might have to be adjusted by removing a shim. Or could be a bad AC clutch.

If (2), then belt is slipping and a new belt and/or tightening should fix.

Or - could be the AC idler pulley bearing, under load when the AC is switched on. I had to replace AC idler pulley on my '98 Frontier with same set up. Oftentimes pulling the AC belt and spinning the AC idler pulley and even the AC compressor pulley can pinpoint a bad bearing with those.

On these, there's not enough space/clearance to R&R an AC clutch in place, so a bad clutch is typically replaced with a brand new compressor. For this symptom, other stuff like a drier is not always required, but proper amount of refrigeration oil, evacuation, and recharging with R134a must be done correctly.

"If you (again, at idle) turn the fan higher than the lowest setting the squeal returns." This bothers me a little, as the only change with that should be the blower fan speed, unless the blower resistor pack is somewhat faulty.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got the same 2004 Frontier. I need to ask a question: you stated "Sometimes you can actually see the clutch slipping when the air is on." When this happens, (1) does the outer pulley turn same speed as the belt and the center part is somewhat stationary? Or (2) is the outer pulley behaving just like the center part?

If (1), then sounds like the magnetic clutch of the compressor is slipping; could be due to oil contamination, even the air gap might have to be adjusted by removing a shim. Or could be a bad AC clutch.

If (2), then belt is slipping and a new belt and/or tightening should fix.

Or - could be the AC idler pulley bearing, under load when the AC is switched on. I had to replace AC idler pulley on my '98 Frontier with same set up. Oftentimes pulling the AC belt and spinning the AC idler pulley and even the AC compressor pulley can pinpoint a bad bearing with those.

On these, there's not enough space/clearance to R&R an AC clutch in place, so a bad clutch is typically replaced with a brand new compressor. For this symptom, other stuff like a drier is not always required, but proper amount of refrigeration oil, evacuation, and recharging with R134a must be done correctly.

"If you (again, at idle) turn the fan higher than the lowest setting the squeal returns." This bothers me a little, as the only change with that should be the blower fan speed, unless the blower resistor pack is somewhat faulty.

The belt is tight against the pulley and it is not slipping.

When the clutch seems to slip the outer pulley does not turn at the same speed.

The truck belongs to my son so I advised him to take it in to a local shop. Any mobile A/C mechanic with any experience should be able to diagnose this problem in a minute or less ... I hope. The sound is THAT bad.

Thank you all for responding ... I will report back when I learn something.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
A shop should be able to make a quick and typically free diagnosis (at least the place I frequent if I have an issue I can't handle).

Once on my '88 Mazda truck I had a slipping AC clutch; since I had some older compressors with OK clutches, and I had space on that truck to do a clutch swap without removing or unbolting the compressor, I devised pullers and practiced on two old compressors, removing the used clutch I wanted to install. Then - when I went to engage its compressor (engine off, obviously) to loosen the compressor bolt, I found that it was loose, creating a larger air gap, and all I had to do was tighten that bolt to fix !!!

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
3,684 Posts
Belt tightness against the pulley doesn't matter. Belt tension and travel in the center point from one pulley to the next is what matters.

Sent from my SM-N910S using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts