Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, for some reason i am getting HORRIBLE gas mileage after putting on my new tires.. my tires can't be the cause of a dramatic change from 19 to 14-15.. I try to keep under 3000 rpm's so I know i am not too hard on it.. any advice??

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
I hate to say it but it is probably the tires. Put your stockers back on and see what happens. Also, your speedo is off now since the new tires are bigger and thus your miles traveled is going to be more then what is recordered. Have you factored the new tire size (diameter) into your calculations?

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
what tires did you get?

I can get 17 with my 33" but I could get 23 with my stockers.

Of course my stockers were 64lb tire and rim 32'S, and my 33" mt's are 98lbs, and my 33"at's are 93lbs

·
Registered
40 Posts
air 'em up

I run my stock tires at 40 psi and it not only improves fuel mileage a bit but also makes the thing handle much better. (not to mention coast much farther, which can really help fuel mileage when driving hills)

40 psi is higher than Nissan's recommended pressure but lower than the tire's max pressure (45 psi)

This may not be helpful at all to your situation but worth checking.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Welcome to the club

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i put 31's on but i guess i did not take in account the speedo being off.. i set the odometer right after i got gas and at the previous fill-up i put in 13.896 gallons and the odemeter read 194.5 miles... i may be miscalculating this....

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
With a big increase of weight at each corner with those heavy tires, I am not surprised to see that much of a drop. That is a lot to add and it will definitely cause you to keep your foot in it more to keep the speed up, but I am surprised that that mileage decrease is that large. CAn you get your hands on a handheld gps to verify your speed and distance covered to figure out what the speedo and odometer are actually off by so you can re-calculate.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
You only averaged 19 with stock tires? I was averaging 20 with 31s and not accounting for the lower recorded mileage. It's probably closer to 17 if you're an optimist.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I've got a lift and 31.6's and I'm still averaging 20mph.

When you filled up with gas, was it reading empty? Cuz you said you put in 13 gallons which is only half a tank. There's no way in heck that those tires are what's dropping you down to 14mpg, I'd have your truck checked out to see if anything is wrong.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've got a lift and 31.6's and I'm still averaging 20mph.

When you filled up with gas, was it reading empty? Cuz you said you put in 13 gallons which is only half a tank. There's no way in heck that those tires are what's dropping you down to 14mpg, I'd have your truck checked out to see if anything is wrong.
no it was not empty i was just topping it off...

·
Registered
175 Posts
I just figured my gas mileage for the first time and I'm only getting 17.5 mpg. :censor: I expected more from an all stock XE.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
It all depends on how your drive it. Keeps the rpms low and don't try to keep up with the fast guy off the line.

Side Note: I do find it a little odd that an 2.5 gets the same mpg as the 4.0 but without the extra power but it does make sense if your try to keep up with the 4.0 on speed/accel.

·
Registered
706 Posts
congratulations!!!!

....you own a truck.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I just looked it up on >>> Side-by-Side Comparison and apparently that's a pretty accurate reading at 17.5 mpg. I don't live in the city but the county is almost as bad nowadays. I will keep testing and maybe start driving like Fred Flinstone to save some coin.

·
Registered
644 Posts
congratulations!!!!
....you own a truck.
x2

Its your new rims and tires. You went from 15" rims to 16" rims with bigger tires...and you have the 2.5L. You now have to use more gas to get the truck rolling.
If you want to improve mileage, your options are: install some mods, inflate your tires more, go back to stock rims/tires....or buy a civic.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts