Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and searched on the forums for this. I got some ideas but no pictures or actual DIY. So since I had the day off I decided to look for a spot to relocate my horns after the Volant CAI install. I found an easy DIY relocation. Not sure if this will Work on all the trucks but it will for a 09 CC. First step take grill off, you can find out how to do that here. Thank You ToddG

If you do not have your horn removed do so now, as well as your airbox.
Now While i was looking for a place up front to relocate that way it would be louder I found the perfect already drilled hole in our vehicle See Pics.

Really cannot read my messages but just look at the arrow that is the hole I choose to use to attach the original bracket.

I then went to my local hardware store and picked up a bolt, nut, washer, and 2 lock washer (for space consumption), 6 feet of 18 gauge wire, and a 20 pack (that is all they had) of female to female wire connectors.
I then cut and reconnected the wire to make the horn connector 3 feet longer and then connected the horn bracket to hole and got. Just look at the pictures.

Then put front grill back on and enjoy how much louder your horns are! Total time probably no more then 30 minutes and that is if your anal and want everything back perfect like.

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
what;s funny is the 05s came with the horn located there and then they moved them back.. I really want to move mine away from the front because I have replaced my horn 3 times it just gets wet up front and gose out.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Yup, I did the same thing. Only difference is that I unbent the bracket so the horns face down.

Only issue is with the rain and it can cause the horns to go out like Mustard has said. I am planning on replacing the horns when I do the mesh grill and lights mod down the road thou.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Good write-up.

..when I do the mesh grill and lights mod down the road thou.
^Light mod./horn mod.? Didn't like seeing the horns through the mesh..

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
Yup, I did the same thing. Only difference is that I unbent the bracket so the horns face down.

Only issue is with the rain and it can cause the horns to go out like Mustard has said.
Same here, I flattened the bracket and mounted the horns facing down to prevent excessive water (rain) from getting into the horns and frying them.

I also mounted mine lower than shown here.
My horns are basically behind the plastic part above the bumper and behind the bumper to keep them out of the elements as much as possible.

And lablancjc, you are very welcome.
I'm always glad when my time and effort helps somebody out. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Damnit, now I will have to relocate again. Or I can just wait till they go out, since it does not get to wet where I am at. Then buy new horns all together really loud ones. Maybe I will buy the AoooGah ones! Any who at least this will give people some ideas, on what to do if needing to relocate. Thanks for all the suggestions and that pic of using that flat bracket and placing the horns under the grill.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
You can just rotate the horns to not point forward..

...Thanks for all the suggestions and that pic of using that flat bracket and placing the horns under the grill.
^No prob. Besides being an Evil place, alotta great ideas get thrown around at CF. :laugh:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Does anyone know what the plug/ harness that is taped off goes too?

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
There are fog light plugs pre wired by each fog light blank. I recently added the lights and stalk w/ no problems. But this is one single plug taped off right in the center of the grill?? Could it be for an electric fan or something??

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Its for the ambient temperature sensor that is only used on the LE model with the upgraded rearview mirror. If you have an overseas model, you can add it and it will show in your gauge cluster but the US models are screwed. This is what was reported with Aussie tried it and it worked while someone stateside tried and it didn't work.

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
14,649 Posts
heres how my horns look - they are pointing to the side, so not as much rain will fly straight in there. i think to the left in the photo is the sensor dubie was talking about

·
Registered
32 Posts
Its for the ambient temperature sensor that is only used on the LE model with the upgraded rearview mirror. If you have an overseas model, you can add it and it will show in your gauge cluster but the US models are screwed. This is what was reported with Aussie tried it and it worked while someone stateside tried and it didn't work.
That's a shame, I wonder where the other end of the harness goes?? That is one thing that I miss about my old truck is the Compass/ Temp on the mirror and to be able to use OEM wiring would be just too easy. Just like the Fog Lights.

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
14,649 Posts
That's a shame, I wonder where the other end of the harness goes?? That is one thing that I miss about my old truck is the Compass/ Temp on the mirror and to be able to use OEM wiring would be just too easy. Just like the Fog Lights.
read what i posted above

1 - 16 of 16 Posts