Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can somebody recommend some hook that will work well on an 03 frontier crew cab?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
could get some custom recovery points made cheap i think

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far as I know everything is stock.

I am talking about a front recovery point. I could make them, I am a certified structural welder. I want them to look good but function is important. I figure I could just hook to the hitch receiver as a rear recovery point.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
578 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
could get some custom recovery points made cheap i think
My buddy at work said he has a pair of chrome ones I can have for free. I actually hate chrome so I will grind them down and Paint them. I should be able to fab something up and make them work. I will avoid welding anything to the frame. I will update this with pics as soon as I make some progress.

·
Registered
634 Posts
. I will avoid welding anything to the frame.
Sorry for thread jacking but why not weld to the frame ? Don't want to weaken it or just don't want anything permanent ?

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
theres not really anything other then the frame to mount them too. there is a small crossmember that runs between the ends of the frame, but i wouldn't recover anything with it, its not very strong.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Well I have a stock front. But here is a pic of my rear. I bought it at Harbor Freight for $9.99

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry for thread jacking but why not weld to the frame ? Don't want to weaken it or just don't want anything permanent ?
I just prefer not to have anything permanent that I could make it bolt on if I could.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I just prefer not to have anything permanent that I could make it bolt on if I could.
Don't remember where I got this pic from but the hook on this first gen looks suspiciously like my jeep TJ rear factory hook. That is mounted on the right side.
I will try to get a measurement when my wife gets home with the jeep and compare the measurements to my 1st gen. I have a KC but we have the same frame.

Attachments

·
Registered
876 Posts
There was a user on this forum, with a link in his signature to work he had done to his truck. he took a standard tow hook and bolted it to the bottom front end somewhere.

He had to drill one hole to get it to line up somehow. but mention that a hook meant for a jeep was the same measurements so no drilling was required.

I searched my web history but cant freakin find it. its killin me cuz i want to add them in the front as well.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
good stuff. I will start looking for jeep tow hooks. My wife has a jeep liberty but no hooks.

·
Registered
634 Posts
FOUND IT!

The Orange Thingy Express - OnlyOneDR's Salsa 2K1

Follow link, click on Mods then Tow hook
That hook the orange thingy used is the style used on the 1976-95 Jeep CJ YJ models (I had a YJ). The reaR hook that I have on my 06 TJ is different. The holes on the hook are aprox 3 1/2" apart and it is not flat between the holes. The holes on my 1st gen are aprox 2 3/4" apart. The new hole would be too close for me to feel safe if I were to drill the frame. . . although, the hook could be drilled safely.

Here's a link for a cheap 3 hole one. I Just picked up a hi-lift jack from here. Competetiv eprices and I can drive to pick stuff up there. http://www.quadratec.com/products/12007_02.htm

·
Registered
634 Posts
sweet, that looks even better
Yeah. I like the fact that it comes with the backing tab so the strap won't fall off during a recovery.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Yeah. I like the fact that it comes with the backing tab so the strap won't fall off during a recovery.
I just realized, if oyu look at the pic closely he does have the clips on there.. good stuff. Just dont see how he gets the bolt on the other side.. on my truck theres no room to get fingers in there...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.