Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever made one? I have been doing a lot of research on it and it doesnt appear to be that difficult. I was just wondering if anyone had some suggestions or input into making one.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will do...

I have an old KN FIPK kit from my blazer so I am going to attempt to modify it for the frontier. I just need to shorten the tube. But it should work. I am going to attempt it this weekend or next. Just been busy. I just dont want to pay over $300 for the AFE kit. I think it is a little much when I want to do other things right now. Do you know what the pipe diameter is for the fronty? Is it 2 1/4 or 2 1/2? Thanks.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You would be right about the MAF...

I took the intake apart and found that if I dont have the right mount for the MAF then it wont work. I can just cut the box and but the filter on but I would just rather buy one that fits the box. I am going to attempt to cut a hole for it to fit and mount properly. The problem is the mount sits up off the tube so that it can screw in. I need to do the same so that the screws are not through the tube itself. I am still working on it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Being what it may...

This may be a stupid question but if say afe filters comes out with their aftermarket intake then what you said would mean that their intake really isnt worth it. Even with a heat shield the unit is still going to suck in hot engine air? Correct? The box now pulls from the fender and I thought of putting the KN filter cone that I have mounted in the box but it is just as easy to buy one that already fits. Right? Or would a heat shield make that much difference? I have thought of using the box as the shield but opening it up? What do you think?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well here is my conclusion...

I am going to cut the box off of the existing intake so that I use the mounting for the MAF sensor and built an aluminum shield to widen the area for air flow. I am going to use the KN cone still but inside a larger area. I am going to coat inside with insulation foam covered with thermal barrier tape. The outside will be reflective barrier insulation. I going to leave it open through the grille for more air also. I only have one shot for it to fit or I screwed with the mounting of the MAF sensor. Will keep you updated. I leave for work tomorrow for two weeks. I will keep you guys posted. Later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts