Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever made one? I have been doing a lot of research on it and it doesnt appear to be that difficult. I was just wondering if anyone had some suggestions or input into making one.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I wanted to do it also, but didn't want to mess up. I did the airbox mod found @ the clubtitan forum, I got noticeable throttle response, but dunno about increased mpg--always gunning the baby. If you're going to "chance 'um" post some pics on the custom intake, good luck.

Cliff

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will do...

I have an old KN FIPK kit from my blazer so I am going to attempt to modify it for the frontier. I just need to shorten the tube. But it should work. I am going to attempt it this weekend or next. Just been busy. I just dont want to pay over $300 for the AFE kit. I think it is a little much when I want to do other things right now. Do you know what the pipe diameter is for the fronty? Is it 2 1/4 or 2 1/2? Thanks.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You would be right about the MAF...

I took the intake apart and found that if I dont have the right mount for the MAF then it wont work. I can just cut the box and but the filter on but I would just rather buy one that fits the box. I am going to attempt to cut a hole for it to fit and mount properly. The problem is the mount sits up off the tube so that it can screw in. I need to do the same so that the screws are not through the tube itself. I am still working on it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Re: You would be right about the MAF...

SilverSE05 said:
I took the intake apart and found that if I dont have the right mount for the MAF then it wont work. I can just cut the box and but the filter on but I would just rather buy one that fits the box. I am going to attempt to cut a hole for it to fit and mount properly. The problem is the mount sits up off the tube so that it can screw in. I need to do the same so that the screws are not through the tube itself. I am still working on it.
Building a home-brewed intake for this application that out-performs the stock system will be a real challenge. Even if you manage to get the MAF sensor mounted into a tube, you'll have to get a high-flow filter mounted and isolated near a source of cooling air. If you leave it open in the engine compartment you'll just be gulping in superheated air--a mistake common to home-made intakes and cheap commercial units. By all accounts the stock box on this truck flows pretty darned well, and the stock filter doesn't seem to be very restrictive. I've done dyno tests that show that a drop-in K&N filter gets you absolutely no performance increase:
http://www.reverendbiker.com/frontier/dynoknfilter.htm
Best of luck to you, but the odds are really stacked against you without a flow bench.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Being what it may...

This may be a stupid question but if say afe filters comes out with their aftermarket intake then what you said would mean that their intake really isnt worth it. Even with a heat shield the unit is still going to suck in hot engine air? Correct? The box now pulls from the fender and I thought of putting the KN filter cone that I have mounted in the box but it is just as easy to buy one that already fits. Right? Or would a heat shield make that much difference? I have thought of using the box as the shield but opening it up? What do you think?

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I think the heat sheild actually seals against the hood when it's closed, leaving the air intake through the opening in the fender. It only looks open to the rest of the engine when the hood is raised. I maybe wrong, but that's how I pictured it working, Let me know if I'm off-base on this!

·
Registered
129 Posts
05_NISMO_4X4 said:
I think the heat sheild actually seals against the hood when it's closed, leaving the air intake through the opening in the fender. It only looks open to the rest of the engine when the hood is raised. I maybe wrong, but that's how I pictured it working, Let me know if I'm off-base on this!
05_Nismo is correct--the aFe intake shield is designed to seat at or close to the hood, drawing air only from the opening in the fender. I am still skeptical about their horsepower claims, but I will do an independent dyno test as soon as I can get my hands on a kit. I can't over-emphasize the importance of getting the filter out of the super-heated engine compartment air--hot intake air is a real performance-killer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Rev, can't wait for your CAI evaluation/write-up.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Yea Rev, I think we should designate you the site's official Guinia Pig! :wink:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well here is my conclusion...

I am going to cut the box off of the existing intake so that I use the mounting for the MAF sensor and built an aluminum shield to widen the area for air flow. I am going to use the KN cone still but inside a larger area. I am going to coat inside with insulation foam covered with thermal barrier tape. The outside will be reflective barrier insulation. I going to leave it open through the grille for more air also. I only have one shot for it to fit or I screwed with the mounting of the MAF sensor. Will keep you updated. I leave for work tomorrow for two weeks. I will keep you guys posted. Later.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts