Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to simply install a HomeLink-enable mirror in an SE Frontier? I see there are third party products but I'm wondering if I can simply buy a Nissan mirror say for a Titan, with HomeLink, and install it. Otherwise, can someone give me a ballpark number for a third-party mirror? I am only interested in the HomeLink aspect, the compass and other stuff doesn't interest me. Am going with a Kenwood DNX-6140 stereo with GPS, XM, iPod interface and backup camera.

·
Super Moderator
12,702 Posts
Check Ebay that's where I got my mirror, it's a Gentex (Nissan OEM brand).
But mine has compass, temp and Homelink. I don't know if they make a mirror with only Homelink (yep sure do, see link below).
Easy to install, there are some write-ups floating around.

Also I think someone did the visor retrofit with Homelink on here.
Let me look around, I'll post back if I find something.

EDIT:
Here ya go (off site link): Homelink install - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
^---that would require you to buy just the module (a used visor off Ebay) and do a custom install.

Here's a link to a mirror, not sure of compatibility with the Frontier though: NEW!! Gentex Auto Dim HomeLink Mirror Kit 50-GENK41A:eBay Motors (item 130321403781 end time Aug-26-09 17:34:43 PDT)

Here's mine old vs. new on the bench:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Coo, $169 isn't bad. Quote $279 today from an audio dealer. But what do you wire the harness to? How do you route a wire from the mirror down to whatever it has to go to, I'm assuming down to under the dash to some module or other.

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
If it's homelink only then you can tap the power wire from the maplights.
If the mirror has compass, etc. then would have to run a single wire down the A pillar to an ignition switched source like the ignition harness behind driver kick panel which is easy to do.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't need the compass or temp sensor, simply HomeLink. The directions in one of the eBay lstings says it needs ignition source, 12v battery source and ground and the cable drops in from the A pillar. If there's power to a map light above the mirror, I'm confused.

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
some security conscious people like having the power to it switched on with key only so someone can't break into your car and open the garage door. I find it more convenient to have power to it all the time so my power wire is tapped to the map lights.

·
Super Moderator
12,702 Posts
How do you route a wire from the mirror down to whatever it has to go to, I'm assuming down to under the dash to some module or other.
My wires are up between the headliner and the roof of the truck, over to the "A" pillar plastic cover, under that and down to the kick panel where I tapped wires for a switched lead, constant lead and ground.

I also had to run my temp sensor wires through the firewall and out to the front of the truck.

This all took me about an hour taking my time.

Like zoom said if you don't want the Homelink buttons switched with the ignition you could tap power from the constantly powered map lights.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts