Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an Engine/Trans and T-case Skid Plate from Skid row. I decided to make my own front plate since AC wants 90 bucks plus shipping. Got my hands on some 3/16 steel diamondplate for .20 a lb. The skid plate came out to be about 20lbs. That brings my cost to a whopping $4.00.

I'm almost finished. Just gotta clean up the edges, fill in the bends with my welder, drill the mounting holes and paint tomorrow. I would rather use smooth plate for skids but not a big deal for where it is. Rocks will be slamming into it not sliding across it like the bottom plates.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
50/50

I used my angle grinder with a thin cut blade to slice about half way through the steel. Didn't go all the way through. Then I clamped the plate down and beat it to the angles I wanted with a 3lb hammer:violent1:.
Gonna' throw down a weld bead on all the lines where I cut tomorrow and weld on bolt protection while i'm at it. If you check the pix, you can see where it's cut at the moment.

Would have been quicker to bend the plate . . .but I don't happen to own a metal break that can handle 3/16. I've worked with 1/4" plate in the past the same way. Works great.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
looks pretty good

are you going to add braces or gussets (what ever you call them) to make it stronger?
In the blue circles are the side braces. Running a weld bead down each side on the lines I cut there for strenght too. The green lines are where the plate bolts on. The left meets the Engine Trans plate and the line on the right is where it mounts on the crossmember just below the radiator about 3 inches foward of where the factory plate mounted. The very end of that is an extra lip to protect the edge of the crossmember.

I probably didn't need to make the side braces. At the angle that the plate sits, I can't imagine hitting anything hard enough in the middle of the plate to do any real damage. I haven't seen any pictures of anybodys front plate damaged in the middle either.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pic 1-Clamped up to drill the bolt holes. Pic 2- Bolted up in place.

I have to find rubber sheeting to attach as splash shields on each side between the frame and plate. After I took the plate down, I welded small triangle bolt protectors in front of the bottom three holes to keep rocks from possibly shearing off the bolt heads. Doing the same bolt protection to the engine/trans and T-case plate before paint.

Planning on painting the front plate tomorrow.

·
Registered
578 Posts
looks great...wanna sell it?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
looks great...wanna sell it?
THX. It would be cheaper for you to buy the skid row version though. :laugh: If I didn't get the steel so cheap, I would have bought skid row's plate. This one only works with the skid row engine/trans plate anyway.

Irongrave . . . nice job man
Thanks. I will be testing it out on the 22nd at RCP.

I will probably be fabbing up a gas tank plate by the end of the summer.

·
Registered
578 Posts
dam i need skids lol

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dam i need skids lol
I have the Skid Row engine/trans plate already and the T-case plate is backorded.
Judging by the quality of the plate I have, Skid Row is a top notch manufacturer. Only complaint I have is something that i'm lucky enough to be able to modify. That is rear bolt protection from rocks. I'm asuming that the T-case has the same issue. I will fix that too.

AC's prices for Skid Row plates aren't bad.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finished. Not goin on tilll next week. Painting the engine trans plate. Gonna' mount them after the second coat.

The third pic is a close-up of the bolt protectors I welded on. Made them out of 1/4" plate.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Looks good Bob. RC is right around the corner!!!!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
All done.
As you can see, I drilled two 1/2 inch drain holes near the bottom of it. Every little bit of water evac helps. I also replaced all of the included skid row hardware with Stainless Steel. They ship their plates with zink coated grade 5 hardware. Not impressed with that. Still Waiting for the backordered T-case plate.

I finished welding on the bolt protectors on the engine/trans plate and hit it with a first coat of paint too.

The rear bolt heads are barely visible behind the protectors.

Looks good Bob. RC is right around the corner!!!!
Thanks. I'll be looking foward to dragging these plates across some rocks ! I hope I get my T-case plate in time. Gonna' make some calls monday.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Nice work. Turned out great.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts