Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I like the solid feel., more like a truck! I’m glad they haven’t skimped on the body metal and hope they keep it that way!

·
Banned
219 Posts
maybe another option. fwiw

·
Registered
116 Posts
The old guys might remember using squares of burlap and Plaster of Paris to splash a one time hood mold. Wax the inside and lay glass.

Check out pics of bent tailgates and be thankful for the heavy Frontier gate.

Tt

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yea, I'd rather have a real tailgate than a light wimpy one. First fat kid to sit on it and you'd have a U shaped tailgate! A lot of the big 3 tailgates have torsion springs at the hinges to "lighten" the load.

I've loaded my XR650L into my truck many many times and I'll idle the bike up the ramp and then hop up onto the tailgate and walk/idle it into the bed, that bike is probably 350 pounds and I'm around 200 so that is a LOT of weight and the tailgate doesn't even flex.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I agree. Steel tail gate is great. But I also agree that having such a heavy hood is basically wasted weight.

·
Banned
583 Posts
Until someone hits you head-on, then the energy-absorbing crumple design of that heavy old hood might be appealing.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I really don't think the dinky hood latch is going to help your hood crumple in a head on collision.

·
Registered
233 Posts
That dinky hood latch is designed to stay latched so I bet it will help.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
That dinky hood latch is designed to stay latched so I bet it will help.
Never seen a nice flat hood on a vehicle that went thru a head-on, so their absorbing some amount of energy.
I really think this was part of their safety design.. why else would they put this much metal/weight into a hood or tailgate? Could have saved and gone with a skimpy one layer with no re-enforcements for their latches and hinge brackets but then they would be scrutinized for such a cheap flimsy hood.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts