Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how similar the Pathfinder's frame at the back was in the years when they shared a lot in common with the Frontier? Someone local has a hitch for cheap and I'm curious if it'll bolt on if the rear bumper were removed.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
My daughter has a '98 Pathfinder she's selling, has a hitch. I've got '98 and 2004 Frontiers.

I looked into this, at etrailer.com and no hitch part numbers line up for these. So I'd guess some srilling or fabrication might be required to make use of a Pathfinder hitch.

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I was referring to the 2005-2012 Pathfinder, the R51 chassis. From the B-pillar forward from all outward appearances they're identical to the D40 truck.

My idea was basically to have the 2" receiver hidden behind the license plate, so that it doesn't hang-down at all, or for the license plate to be off to one side or the other. This is most cost-effectively achieved if one of the SUV hitches, already designed to be concealed within the cosmetic bumper, also fits the frame of the D40 Frontier.

It looks like, again from outward appearances, that the Frontier, Xterra, and Pathfinder where based on the F-alphas chassis, are substantially the same mechanically from the trailing edge of the front doors to the front of the vehicle, with the Xterra having mostly cosmetic differences but with the same hardpoints, and many of the aftermarket parts are known to fit both the Xterras and the Frontiers. It's a little less clear once one gets to the back where one has a truck-body versus a wagon-body though.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
The X and the Frontier are basically the same truck with a different body. I would bet that the parts commonality between a Pro-4X XTerra and a Pro-4X Frontier is about the same as that of a Pro-4X Frontier and a 4 banger S Frontier. Not so with the Pathfinder as far as I know.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
Yeah, I was referring to the 2005-2012 Pathfinder, the R51 chassis. From the B-pillar forward from all outward appearances they're identical to the D40 truck.

My idea was basically to have the 2" receiver hidden behind the license plate, so that it doesn't hang-down at all, or for the license plate to be off to one side or the other. This is most cost-effectively achieved if one of the SUV hitches, already designed to be concealed within the cosmetic bumper, also fits the frame of the D40 Frontier.

It looks like, again from outward appearances, that the Frontier, Xterra, and Pathfinder where based on the F-alphas chassis, are substantially the same mechanically from the trailing edge of the front doors to the front of the vehicle, with the Xterra having mostly cosmetic differences but with the same hardpoints, and many of the aftermarket parts are known to fit both the Xterras and the Frontiers. It's a little less clear once one gets to the back where one has a truck-body versus a wagon-body though.
I can't think of any way to achieve that unless you either weld a custom receiver to the frame, at the same level as the frame, and then put a hole in the bumper reinforcement and cover; or move your bumper down.

Do you just find the receiver opening unsightly?

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
The trailer hitch mounts with 3 bolts below the frame as shown here on your Frontier.

canvas.jpg

Since the pathfinders all came equipped with the hitch they do not appear to be available aftermarket to be able to see one, but if you see they mount in the same place and have the same width between the holes as on your Frontier it should fit.

If you have access to welding equipment, I think you could take the mounting plates off a frontier hitch and then turn the hitch bar over so the hole for the reciever is on top it will put the hole behind your bumper and you can then cut out the bumper to get what you are looking for.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts