Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone installed a hitch on their truck? I have a RWD regular cab and I'm trying to install one, but it just seems wrong. It's sits waaay too far forward. I'm just wondering if anyone has gone through this. I can post pictures later.

·
Registered
'99 KC 4x4, 3.3L auto
44 Posts
I don't know if this is any help, but my '99 has the factory hitch and it sits more forward than you'd expect. The receiver has 2 positions it can be located in. When not towing it can be moved forward under the bumper and then when needed, moved to the rear position so it protrudes beyond the bumper, exposing the ball.

·
Registered
5,960 Posts
I don't know if this is any help, but my '99 has the factory hitch and it sits more forward than you'd expect. The receiver has 2 positions it can be located in. When not towing it can be moved forward under the bumper and then when needed, moved to the rear position so it protrudes beyond the bumper, exposing the ball.
That sounds weird. You should not be able to move the hitch. Maybe the draw bar, but not the hitch itself.

Are you sure that you got the right hitch. Not one for a 2nd gen.

Installing my hitch was the easiest thing. Lifting in place was the only hard part. then 6 bolts and done. I recently installed a hitch on a Mazda CX3. That was a different story.

·
Registered
'99 KC 4x4, 3.3L auto
44 Posts
That sounds weird. You should not be able to move the hitch. Maybe the draw bar, but not the hitch itself.

Are you sure that you got the right hitch. Not one for a 2nd gen.

Installing my hitch was the easiest thing. Lifting in place was the only hard part. then 6 bolts and done. I recently installed a hitch on a Mazda CX3. That was a different story.
I'm sorry, the draw bar has 2 positions within the receiver. Forward and the ball is tucked under the bumper out of the way, or back so the ball protrudes beyond the bumper and usable. It's the factory installed hitch.

·
Registered
5,960 Posts
I'm sorry, the draw bar has 2 positions within the receiver. Forward and the ball is tucked under the bumper out of the way, or back so the ball protrudes beyond the bumper and usable. It's the factory installed hitch.

But that is pretty forward. On my truck the end of the hitch itself is about flush with the bumper.

·
Registered
132 Posts
On my truck the hitch sits forward of the bumper by about 2 inches. It is the correct hitch for the truck. When I put the ball mount in the hitch it sticks out plenty far for a trailer coupler.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions. It's the right hitch according to AutoZone. The instructions are vague as hell, but I did my best. I mounted it to the frame sort of like it said, but I honestly don't know if it's right. There's an additional assembly mounted to frame that goes back farther that the bumper is attached to. It has holes on the side of it, so I can probably mount it there, but I don't know if it could handle the weight. I wish I had a picture of that specifically. If you've got a minute, could you shoot me a picture of what yours looks like. Ill try and post a picture of my later. I don't have my truck now, and I wasnt able to after work yesterday.

·
Registered
'99 KC 4x4, 3.3L auto
44 Posts
Here are a couple pictures from under the bumper of the factory hitch on my truck. It is forward of the rear bumper and the draw bar, also the original Nissan part, has 2 holes for positioning.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! That looks like it sits back about as far as mine does. I guess I just need to get a longer bar. I really appreciate that!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts