Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my analysis of why the Frontier (and other midsize trucks) are a small market compared to the full size, even though a midsize would meet the needs of most full size owners. It is simply a product of the owner’s height. The Frontier’s market (though not intentionally) is owners that are between 5’10” and 6’2”. Anyone taller actually needs a larger vehicle for comfort of headroom and leg room. And many males shorter than 5’10” think they need a large truck for image or whatever else…the classic Napoleon syndrome. Certainly this is not always the case…I know there are plenty of midsize truck owners under 5’10”. Just looking at the typical target buyers.
I’d be curious of others thoughts on this. Or any Frontier owners over 6’3”?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Im 6'3" and I had no problems fitting in my frontier. My Grandfather at 6'4" also fit comfortably.

My reasons for selling had nothing to do with comfort or fitment.

edit I had a 1998 2wd

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
interesting observation. What if we all passed a law that short people had to carry around little step stools and those over say, 6'3" should be required, by law, to walk on their knees. Then everyone would be almost the same height.
:noworries:

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
im 6'3" and sit with my seat 1 click forward from all the way back. midsize trucks are a good fit for me.

i used to have a silverado, and i didnt know what to do with all the room. now if i was 350lbs the silverado probably wouldve fit me better. i think this is where your theory should be headed. not the drivers height, but their width.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'm 6'0" - I don't know how many clicks forward my seat is, but I can say that I have whacked me head getting in my truck more than I'd like.

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
6'4" here and i had it all the way back, it was a good fit but seat was a little low. i'm a lot more comfortable for long drives in my 06 ram now

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm 6' and sit with the seat all the way back; otherwise, I feel too cramped.

A good buddy of mine is 6'6" and sits with the seat all the way back in his 2006 XE Frontier, and doesn't have a problem with getting in, out or head room.

·
Registered
417 Posts
im 6'3" and sit with my seat 1 click forward from all the way back. midsize trucks are a good fit for me.

i used to have a silverado, and i didnt know what to do with all the room. now if i was 350lbs the silverado probably wouldve fit me better. i think this is where your theory should be headed. not the drivers height, but their width.
I think this is a valid point, but also, the length of legs and torso as a proportion to height.

Again, this is a very interesting thread.

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
6' here and I think there is plenty of room.
Not sure where my seat is, but I drive a 6 speed so I like to be "up on the stick" as they say.
Oddly enough, while my legs could use a little more room (seat back another click) it would then make the shifter a bit of a reach for me.
Short arms or ergonomics flaw . . lol?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I'm 5'9''. Never thought about it when buying, life is made for people around my height, so everything fits. I wouldn't buy a full size unless I towed a lot, didn't live in a city, or if I was a cattle rancher or farmer. My wife is 5'2'' or 5'3'' and she can drive it with the seat all the way up.
I work with a giant dude, like 6'4'' and 300ish pounds, used to be a college guard. He fits, not that well, in the passenger seat. If I were his size, I wouldn't buy a Frontier, I'd look at a full size :)

mid-size trucks are a good fit for me.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
im 6'2'' and wish my seat would go back just a little further... it has the electric seats so maybe the manuel ones go back a little bit further. but it fits me good, i like sitting up high i get in and out no problem

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
6' here and i drive with the seat about in the middle, that way i can fully push the cluch all the way in an still have a little leg left over. It also puts the shifter in the perfect spot and still allows easy reach to the radio.
Exactly my thoughts too.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
6'2" 275lbs and I fit perfectly with the seat all the way back. I could go to a full-size no problem too. The old '78 Datusn is a little tight though.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm 6'5" and don't have any problem to get in and out, and roof clearance is ok. I've a 08 SE kc, but also tried version with fully adjustable seat, and can tell u that it's better than my SE. BUT jumpseat behind me is for the dog, or someone without legs... And far way better then Tacoma 09 I tried because siting position os lower in Tacs...

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
6'4"... seat all the way back and reclined about 20 degrees off vertical. I wouldn't want it any smaller if that makes any sense. My passenger seat is all the way back too - seems people fit better tall or short. Sometimes I wish the pedals were a little farther away.

·
Registered
122 Posts
6' 275# and I have the power seat all the way back. I don't like to be all up on the steering wheel, even when I was 175#. I would like a little more head room, but as long as I'm not drinking the last drink in a can, I'm good.

My wife's car when we met; a Geo Metro. I know how to squeeze in to a car.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
6'1" 205lbs, and I have mine really close to all the way back. But this is because I have knee issues. My knees start to fill with fluid if they stay bent for long periods. (a few hours or more) This is due to motocross injurys. The size fits well, but like others said, I wouldnt want it any smaller.

·
Registered
2009 Nissan Pro-4x 2 wheel drive
91 Posts
I'm the other end of the spectrum. 5'4" and I don't need a huge truck to overcompensate my height. I bought my Frontier because it fit my lifestyle and needs for a truck. Also, the first time I sat in I wanted it. Much more comfortable than my Charger R/T. My other half is also vertically challenged and my truck with a 2" inch lift and no running boards is perfect for us.

Ed

1 - 20 of 22 Posts