Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Frontier MT sv
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi - scoping out a new destination for some R&R in June. Looking at the east side of the sierras between south lake and Yosemite - A few days in the first week of June. Wednesday through Sun
day ish...

·
Registered
279 Posts
sounds like a good time.. one of these days I might have to tag along just to test out my truck, never really taken it on decent trails yet..

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I'm following too.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been riding the board at Kirkwood pretty regularly in winter. I am not familiar with the Alpine County area. I have found an area to explore wheeling and on foot. Burnside lake. 6 miles south of picketts junction on highway 88 on Burnside lake road! Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest - Burnside Lake Trail Dispersed camping at best .

There is a hike trail to the Grover Hot springs state park - Grover Hot Springs SP

The lake looks big enough to launch the canoe and maybe catch a fish of two - who knows.

Wanna go?

L8 :)

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey JenoirNV - I have not planned a lot of the itinerary as this is new and more information is in gathering phase at the moment. I did see a mention of the hike from the hot springs to the lake here- Burnside Lake Via Grover Hot Springs. A good walk for sure as my base camp would be at the lake and the write up notes an 8 mile out and back from the hot springs.

The wheeling portion of the expedition is a part of the forest MVUM here - Upper Carson : https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd601004.pdf - more detail in the area map for the Carson pass map inset. The area of Pickett's peak has some partial OHV trail to explore. There is more to look into for planning at this point.

Open to ideas for sure ..

Wheel on - 🇺🇲
:)

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
This is in an area that I have camped in and visited since my youth. There are several excellent wheeling trails in the area. The trail to the top of Hawkins Peak offers excellent views of the high sierra and into Nevada. Deer Valley trail is one that Jen and I have talked about for a few years. I went out to the river crossing last year, after parting from the group at Sierra Buttes, but did not venture any further. I would love to get out there but June is probably a little early as the water crossing may be too deep. I am unsure of the snow conditions in the area. Carson Pass snow gauge is at 0....

Excellent hiking in the area as well. Pacific Crest Trail traverses the area.

Also following

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
There is dispersed camping at Tamarack on Sunset Lk Rd off of Blue Lakes Rd. Expensive PG&E campsites at Upper and Lower Blue Lakes right on the lakes for swimming and fishing. More reasonable campsites at Woods Lk near Caples Lk.

Here is a link to some great hikes in the area. Carson Pass Day Hikes

I have done hike #6 from Woods Lk camp (see pic's) and also hiked from the Carson Pass info station to Winnemucca Lk. There is an awesome field of wildflowers on that route.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts