Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I have a high pitched whine whenever I step on the gas doesn't matter how hard or how soft and it does it at all speeds. I've got a second gen 4.0 with almost 60k on it. You guys have any thoughts on what it could be? I'm going to get it diagnosed this weekend the dealer said it's probably not a powertrain issue so I'm going to start at a local garage and see what they have to say.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,539 Posts
Hey I have a high pitched whine whenever I step on the gas doesn't matter how hard or how soft and it does it at all speeds. I've got a second gen 4.0 with almost 60k on it. You guys have any thoughts on what it could be? I'm going to get it diagnosed this weekend the dealer said it's probably not a powertrain issue so I'm going to start at a local garage and see what they have to say.
Does it sound like your truck is supercharged?
A whine can be from the engine specifically your timing chains. Go to the dealer before 60K or it's going to be expensive.

Clint

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Since they may want to charge you, why not do a quick test. Remove the serp belt and run the motor. If the sound completely stops, then it is an accessory issue. If it is still there, then it is probably timing chain which is covered under warranty.

Even better, do this on a straight road so you can drive down it a little bit to put load on the motor. Just remember, with the serp belt removed, you won't have Power Steering so don't make turns if you don't have to.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I had thought it was possibly the timing chain issue and after listening to those videos it confirmed my fears. When I get it checked tomorrow I'll make sure they give free diagnosis.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts